Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Ogredog

Default The Stars Are Confused ... What is a Bonus or Penalty?

The text for "The Stars Are Confused" states, "Play during any combat. Ignore all combat bonuses or penalties printed on the monster card(s). Other monster powers, and Bad Stuff, are unaffected.

During a recent game I opened a door to face Level 3 "Chk-Chk-Chk." This monsters description says, "It may have tentacles instead of drumsticks, but it's still tasty when fried. Go up an extra level if you kill it with fire or flame."

I had a fire item and so was going to fry it for the extra level. Another player drops "Stars Are Confused" and states that I can only take 1 level because the extra level is a bonus.

I contend that the extra level is part of the "other stuff doesn't change" part of the card. Bonuses and penalties are expressed as + or -.

Any thoughts? Our only other recourse is a cage match using shivs made from old toothbrushes.
Ogredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Nixel

Default Re: The Stars Are Confused ... What is a Bonus or Penalty?

You are right...

Combat bonuses are the things such as +2 versus a class, race, or sex. Also of course negative things as well, as the card says. Being tasty when fried is not a combat bonus or penalty. So yes, that is only the +/- it refers to.

So, you would go up an extra level.
Nixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonus, chk-chk-chk, cthulhu, stars are confused