Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 AM   #91
PTTG

Default Re: Challenge: Non-US Patriotic Supers

Found this thread while looking for something else, and it occurred to me exactly what is so humorous about the idea: it makes obvious the arbitrary distinctions that make a superhero with a national identity so strange. Captain America, for example, would not chase a supervillain up to the Canadian border, then call it a day.... of course, Marvel has done a fairly good job of breaking the trope; the cinematic Steve Rogers is Captain America because that's who he was, but in practice he's global.

With that in mind, we'll turn that around.

I won't stat them since it's like 2AM here and I should be asleep, but Paul Delprat was a fairly ordinary if eccentric man when an alien spacecraft landed in New South Wales, not far from his home. Strange but surprisingly humanoid aliens marched out of the craft, and would have shocked the world if not for the fact that they closely resembled human children wearing simple mylar suits. That the aliens happened to land on October 31st was an additional complication.

They asked several people that evening for a way to find the leader or protector of the world, and their translation devices rendered that as the "local king or warlord."

When they met with Mr. Delprat, he was happy to entertain his guests, and even humored them enough to go back to their "ship," and meet their "teacher and guide."

By the time he'd realized how deeply over his head he was, he was already aboard the spacecraft, and the aliens had removed their silvery suits to reveal decidedly less humanoid forms. While he tried to convince his hosts that he was an ordinary man, they mistook that for humility and caution, useful traits in a planetary protector. They gave him several nanomachine cybernetics, the result of which was to leave him outwardly unchanged but inwardly capable of achieving peak human performance and several other powers as well.

He now uses these powers to ensure that his property is well-maintained and that his family is happy, though on occasion he assists his neighbors with their chores.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #92
jason taylor

Captain Finland:

He cruises on his Skis of Swiftness, bearing his Sniper Rifle of Truth and his Puukko of glory to battle the forces of evil. He wears his White Coat of Stealth and can disappear whenever there is snow. When he is not on a mission he lives in a lone cabin in the wilderness. He constantly quotes the Kalevala in a sing-song voice.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #93
smurf
Banned

Since this thread started I have bumped into these gems:

move-over-jlo-there-s-puerto-rican-superhero

Jenny_Sparks, the spirit of the 20th Century

Uber Comics, WW2 continues with various supers battling to gain victory

Uber presents the Ubermensch supers along with a host of British, Japanese and American supers. Some of the problems in WW2 US super teams is that the black soldiers who can be 'upgraded' can be stronger than there white counter parts... leading to difficult decisions to be made. The strongest are the Battleship class heroes and others have lower and differing abilities.

"Crazy Maria" a Russian Sniper was granted the maximum treatment of 24 levels and is a Battleship Uber code named Katyusha. Maria is fickle, she will fight to defend Stalin's Russia and her Ukraine but will not invade into other countries.

The comic is quite bloody as these high powered Supers grow in size and explode heads and rip limbs from each other.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #94
Culture20

I don’t remember this thread from when it was created, but surely Phantasm would know that Marvel already has a lot of patriotic non-stereotypical heroes.
Japan: Sunfire/Sunpyre, Big Hero 6 (Okay, comic book Baymax is kind of stereotypical for Japan; Robot and Kaiju)
China: Collective Man, Radioactive Man, plus extras in People’s defense force
Israel: Sabra
Wakanda: Black Panther
Latveria: Doctor Doom
Atlantis: Namor, Namora, Namorita
France: Adamantine
Germany: Hauptmann Deutschland
Canada: three or four Flights of superheroes.
Russia: Darkstar, Titanium Man, Red Dynamo, Red Guardian. Unfortunately, Ursa Major, Vanguard, and Perun are extremely stereotypical.
Finland/Norway: Pod (Aikku Jokinen) She’s pretty new, but everyone else has been around for a while.
Those are the ones I know from the top of my head...
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #95
Bandii

I think Marvel's old Contest of Champions comic (the original) had a bunch of non-American supers. There was Shamrock, Sabra, China had the Collective Man, Conquistador, Silver Samurai would make an ironic choice for Japan, there were a few others I think.

Mike
Bandii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #96
(E)

There are a few who might fit in this thread.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=155692
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #97
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Since this thread started I have bumped into these gems:

Uber Comics, WW2 continues with various supers battling to gain victory

Uber presents the Ubermensch supers along with a host of British, Japanese and American supers.
Was intrigued enough to look this up and now all my spare time is going to spent reading this series :(
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #98
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Was intrigued enough to look this up and now all my spare time is going to spent reading this series :(
I've really enjoyed it but it is about 6 TPBs in which can set you back close to $100 and I believe the volume 7 of the series is a few weeks or month or so in the wings
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers