Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #29
whswhs

Default Re: Social Engineering: Haggling - Broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
Perhaps doubling the merchant's limit for his offer based on current reaction might work:
- With a Neutral Reaction, the merchant will go to +/-10% as his best offer values, so he's not in the mood to entertain any haggling offer more than +/-20% of fair price since you're just another customer.

- With a Very Good Reaction, he's willing to go for 80% (i.e., -20%) so he won't entertain any offer less than 60% (i.e., -40%), or, when buying, he's willing to go to 150% (i.e., +50%) so he won't entertain any offer more than 200% (i.e., +100%). He's willing to entertain such offers because he likes you.

- With a Bad Reaction, he's willing to go fair price (or +/- 0%); you need to start your offer at fair price to even get his attention to haggle. Seems unfair, but then again, you got an initial Bad Reaction from the merchant.
This proposed method allows you to negotiate to the merchant's limit, and varies the acceptable amounts based on the initial Reaction, which seemed to be implied in Social Engineering.
I don't think I'm understanding how you figure the range for Bad reaction. Can you explain where those limits come from?

I'm not sure that system quite works. Suppose the merchant has Merchant-12, but the customer has Merchant-16 and several high complementary skills? Shouldn't the customer be able to get to the merchant's limit price pretty quickly and pretty assuredly?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
social engineering