Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OOC] Agents of SUPER: Y2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
These Advantages and Disadvantage are required on the character out of the point budget and count against "negative point traits", or just tacked on?
Agreed. If they are mandatory, be aware the point budget is actually 130 with -55 in disadvantages: much tighter if we are spending large amounts of points on powers.

I'm thinking of building Janet Chrosimov, formerly an auditor/white collar crime detective. She has a powerful suite of precog abilities. I'd like GM confirmation that he's willing to allow all of these: They require a good deal of GM work. If not I can make a different character

Precognition (Directed +100%, less FP 2 +40%, reliable +8 40%, power -10%) [68]
luck (power -10%) [14]
serendipity (power -10%) [14]
weirdness magnet (power -10%) [-14]

The luck, serendipity, and weirdness magnet are considered to be side effects of the precognition.

Yes, I'm aware of the power of the core ability. If it feels like too much my preference is to reduce the directed rather than the reliable.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
zoncxs

ris Cassen joined the military at the age of 18, he trained as a ranger and served 2 tours before going home. Its been years now but he still remembers most of his training. He started to develop powers during his service, learning that the cold didn't bother him as much. He later learned he can make things or an area cold.

Total 150/150

Character stats (100)
Spoiler:  

Powers:

Telepathy (8)
Spoiler:  

Cryokinesis (42)
Spoiler:  

Gear
Spoiler:  

Power Descriptions
Spoiler:  

Last edited by zoncxs; 04-21-2014 at 08:58 PM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
Poonbahbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Agreed. If they are mandatory, be aware the point budget is actually 130 with -55 in disadvantages: much tighter if we are spending large amounts of points on powers.
It'd be more like 150/-55 I think. +20/-20 evens out so you can still have 150 to spend, but if it takes up some of your -75 than it is only -55 for other disadvantages/nega traits.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
LemmingLord

Ok, looks like I've got 18 pts left on my character draft on page 1. Should I take professional skill health and welfare social worker or do the skills I have give me all I need? Are there other skills I should have based on being a former social worker?

I'm considering changing my flight affliction to include resisted by will and suggest that his ability only works on living creatures.. That my character propels them with their own psychic potential. I don't think I'd get a limitation by doing that would u? It would just be a side effect of only being resisted by will that only those entities with will could be so afflicted.

Should I take other enhancements or limitations on my powers?

How do you feel about the wheelchair part of the character? Would the supers be ok with it since he can mitigate it with his flight?
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
samd6

If there is still room, I would be interested. May need to consult the forumites for how to build certain powers, or I could go for a more investigative/mobility build for powers.

And here's the first draft of the sheet.

Dan Shadduck, [150] points
Spoiler:  

Second Draft
Spoiler:  

Dan Shadduck worked for the FBI for nearly a decade before he developed powers and was transferred to the SUPER. However, field work is new to him, as Dan spent the last several years sitting behind a desk and doing analysis of Ariel photos and intercepted codes. He maintains strong ties with his former department, which is sure to come in handy.

He is listed as a Class B due to his powers working through machinery and that strong wills do not manage to shake off his effects.

Dan knows with absolute certainty that he is not trained for this, but is fairly that he is at least vaguely qualified

Last edited by samd6; 04-24-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add sheet+backstory
samd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #16
GnomesofZurich

My character is not fully fleshed out, but here's what I have so far: Mason is 27 years old, and a carpenter/volunteer firefighter from Alaska who has recently discovered his unusual abilities, and been drafted into the FBI.

He has discovered that his brain seems to have "sped up", allowing him to react faster and quickly think through problems. He has some difficulty interacting with others, because he is still unused to his abilities, and has difficulty realizing that what is obvious to him is not so obvious to others.

He feels somewhat out of his depth currently, as the training provided was minimal.

Advantages:
Danger Sense (Super, -10%, Reliable +4, +20%) [17]
Enhanced Time Sense (Super, -10%) [41]
Intuition (Super, -10%, Reliable +6, +30%) [18]
Intuitive Mathematician (Super, -10%) [5]
Oracle (Digital) (Super, -10%, Reliable +6, +30%) [18]
Psychometry (Super, -10%, Hypersensory, -50%, Reliable +4, +20%) [12]
Some tweaks may be necessary above, including adding Inspired to Intuition and Oracle (Digital), and possibly packaging some of the above as alternative abilities.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
LemmingLord

Janet Chrosimov. Ericthered. White Collar Auditor. Reliable Precog. Weirdness Side Effect.

Cris Cassen. Zoncxs. Army Ranger. Cryo Attack Suite. Bloodthirsty Ill-Tempered Lech.

Mason. Gnonesofzurich. Carpenter/Voluntary Firefighter. Sped Up Perception and Problem Solving. Poor Social Interaction Side Effect.

Jack Stevenson. Poonbahbah. Just Out of High School. Super Sight Suite. Youthful Inexperience. Life Bane Side Effect.

Dr. Jasper Guns. Justinbedard. Physician/Scientist. Brilliant. Telekinesis Powers. Broken Body in Wheelchair Fed Intravenously.

Bruce Fritz. Lemminglord. Social Worker. Levitate People. Detect Supers/Guns. Wheelchair Bound Senior Citizen.

Dan Shadduck. Samd6. FBI desk analyst. Invisibility and stealthiness. ?? Telepathy ?? Stubborn smoking patriot.
--------------------------------
My thoughts:
Janet Chrosimov. Ericthered. White Collar Auditor. Reliable Precog. Weirdness Side Effect.

Mystery Genre: 9 / 10. Background and Power Choice Extremely Useful. High Reliability Might be Too Powerful.

Realism: 8/10. A kind of detective gets detective like powers and become a federal detective.. Might seem a little too convenient for full realism points though awesome just the same.

Personality and Motivation: ??/10 Unknown so far

Power Classification: (A) Safe
Cris Cassen. Zoncxs. Army Ranger. Cryo Attack Suite. Bloodthirsty Ill-Tempered Lech.

Mystery Genre: 2/10. A strict soldier, Cris is out of his element for the investigation portion of the adventure. He has observation, stealth and fair perception.

Realism 7/10. Cris is a flawed individual but flawed in ways I feel are understandable. I would think Cris might have had a hard time finding other work given his flaws leading him to be happy for recruitment.wonder if there was an incident that led to the government giving him a choice between serving in the supers group. Maybe Heidt really wanted a mind shielded agent for his team and Cris was the lucky recruit. Heidt may also want to recruit Cris to encourage him to find a productive place in society.

Personality and Motivation: 6/10. It is easy for me to see how a soldier might come out of two tours with all the disads selected. I'm not sure it is clear to why Cris would want to join the FBI though.

Power Classification: (A) Safe. (Should be (B) but Cris lies about the extent of his abilities.

----------------------------------
Mason. Gnonesofzurich. Carpenter/Voluntary Firefighter. Sped Up Perception and Problem Solving. Poor Social Interaction Side Effect.

Mystery Genre: 9/10. Psychometry, Intuition and Oracle are very useful in This Genre. Maybe too useful depending on reliability.

Realism: ??/10. A carpenter from Alaska sounds realistic to me. Skills are yet undefined.

Personality and Motivation: 5/10. being drafted sounds fair. Personality vague at this point.

Power Classification: (A) Safe.
-----------------------------------
Jack Stevenson. Poonbahbah. Just Out of High School. Super Sight Suite. Youthful Inexperience. Life Bane Side Effect.

Mystery Genre: 10/10. Vision powers will provide great forensic evidence quickly without spoiling the final reveal.

Realism: 8/10. Personality is not uncommon. Most skills have the same number of points. Seems like he'd have a few more points in his pre-SUPERS skills that he's been practicing for years.

Personality and Motivation: 9/10. Naive and honest youth works well. Very Luke Skywalker. Could use more Traits that make him stand out... Maybe Kansas colloquialisms?

Power Classification: (A) Safe.
---------------------------------
Dr. Jasper Guns. Justinbedard. Physician/Scientist. Brilliant. Telekinesis Powers. Broken Body in Wheelchair Fed Intravenously.

Mystery Genre: 8/10. Brilliant physician and chemist gives us our forensic scientist.

Realism: 8/10. Gritty physical limitations. Very steven hawking. 100 point candi styper Dependant huh? Seems like a high pt total to me.

Personality and Motivation: 5/10. It isn't clear to me why Jasper is such a renaissance man or why he would give up his other pursuits to help the FBI. Is he bored? Did he have a colleague hurt and out of guilt decided he would work with the FBI to prevent similar incidents from happening?

Power Classification: (B) Dangerous. Jasper can easily kill or incapacitate someone and make it look like an accident.

-----------------------------------
Bruce Fritz. Lemminglord. Social Worker. Levitate People. Detect Supers/Guns. Wheelchair Bound Senior Citizen.

Mystery Genre: 7/10. Always good to have at least one older gentleman on your mystery team. Detection of supers may help pick suspects.

Realism: 7/10. Gritty old age issues. Also seems unlikely the FBI would recruit him...

Personality and Motivation: 8/10. he wants to feel useful.

Power Classification: (B) Dangerous. Bruce can easily kill or maim while making it look like an accident.
Dan Shadduck. Samd6. FBI desk analyst. Invisibility and stealthiness. ?? Telepathy ?? Stubborn smoking patriot.

Mystery Genre: 7/10. Dan seems like a good office nerd turned field agent. His invisibility will help him do what regular surveillance can't in following people. I don't see telepathy powers listed. Does he just think he has telepathy? And what about working on machines.. Not sure if that means you meant to give him invisibility to machines.

Realism: 6/10. A stubborn office worker? How did he not get fired? Does he have friends in high places? Is he real good at something his boss is clueless about? Also seems Quite a coincidence that an FBI agent gets powers. Though I suppose it would be more believable if Dan had to move.

Personality and Motivation: 5/10 . I find the personality realistic and captivating and something I can work against. I'm not sure I understand why he worked for the FBI in the first place.. Is Stubbornness a relatively new thing he acquired after being promoted on several occasions?

Last edited by LemmingLord; 04-14-2014 at 03:39 AM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
samd6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post

No suitability evaluation for Dan Shadduck? I was trying to design a character whose powers and skills were good for an investigative mystery game, but whose powers and skills were also at odds with each other.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #19
the_matrix_walker

Ooh, an Ally might be fun... I want to wait until I find out if the package of advantage and disadvantages apply to our limit before doing too much more tinkering tho...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #20
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post

Mystery Genre: 2/10. A strict soldier, Cris is out of his element for the investigation portion of the adventure. He has observation, stealth and fair perception.

Realism 7/10. Cris is a flawed individual but flawed in ways I feel are understandable. I would think Cris might have had a hard time finding other work given his flaws leading him to be happy for recruitment.wonder if there was an incident that led to the government giving him a choice between serving in the supers group. Maybe Heidt really wanted a mind shielded agent for his team and Cris was the lucky recruit. Heidt may also want to recruit Cris to encourage him to find a productive place in society.

Personality and Motivation: 6/10. It is easy for me to see how a soldier might come out of two tours with all the disads selected. I'm not sure it is clear to why Cris would want to join the FBI though.

Power Classification: (A) Safe. (Should be (B) but Cris lies about the extent of his abilities.

Changed leech for hidebound and insomniac mild, changed bloodlust for no sense of humor. Also added diplomacy, guns (pistols), and criminology skills.

Last edited by zoncxs; 04-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agents of super: y2k