Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
Kallatari

Default Does Follow-Up Apply to Explosion and Fragmentation?

A character has an ability that is basically a Lightning Attack 1d (Follow-Up, Universal, +50%) (From p.14, GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements). So, when this character picks up a sword, gun, throwing knives, etc., or even just punches, every time she hits, it does an extra 1d lightning damage.

If she were to pick up a grenade and toss it directly into someone's face, it would do an extra 1d lightning to the person from the "hit by object (grenade) in face damage" before exploding. In most cases, it's probably simply lobbed into an area.

Then it explodes.
- Does the 1d lightning follow-up apply to the explosion damage? It's technically a weapon, so sounds like it should.
- Ditto for fragments?

Now, that's when using a mundane weapon with the Universal Follow-Up. What about when designing it for an Innate Attack power that has explosion and/or fragmentation. Would it still apply to explosions or fragmentation? Neither of those two options are listed in the list of "if it applies to the carrier" that modify the value of Follow-Up, so it sounds like they would be added for free. But then how do you distinguish a follow-up that does apply to fragmentation vs one that doesn't? I'd assume it's probably best to add them to the list of enhancements of the carrier that modifies Follow-Up.

Any thoughts?
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Does Follow-Up Apply to Explosion and Fragmentation?

It absolutely would apply to Explosion since it does for Area Effect attacks (and Explosion is in effect a variant of Area Effect). Fragmentation seems to be a secondary effect, almost a second Innate Attack of its own. But for a more general answer, if an attack has multiple modes of different attacks, I'd have the Follow Up affect only one of them; With the grenade example, either you add the damage to the thrown grenade, to the explosion, or to the fragments, and you'd decide which when you throw it with your trait. I think a +50% version of Cosmic would be enough to me for it to affect every part of a multi-faceted attack, which would then let you add damage to whatever you hit with the grenade, then hit in the explosion, and finally hit with the fragments.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote