Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Eugee

Default Re: Ogre computer game released

Wow, I've waited so long to be able to play the OGRE while farting around at work. (I've used the old DOS OGRE for ages but you always play the defender against the computer.)

So I'm finishing up my first Mark V attacks as the OGRE, and I'm grinning ear-to-ear. The AI usually makes pretty good decisions, but I think it runs largely under the assumption that I'm going to beeline for the CP. After my initial missile volley got a D/X on 4 HVY, 1 GEV, and 1 MSL, the whole right side of the board was open. More than once I doubled back to smash units that were coming up from behind.

They finally took out my 1Bs around the half-line and started on treads. But I'm just rampaging around, doubling back on the SHVY, and driving through the parking lot of INF just mowing them down. By the time they got me to 2 speed, all they had left was a pair of GEVs that I can't harm anymore. So I drive over to the CP and smash it, the whole time these GEVs are taking a pair of 1:2 shots on my 2Bs (and I have 4 left) instead of hitting my treads.

I popped the CP and turned around, heading for the exit, and these GEVs just keep shooting at my 2Bs. I mean at least pair up for a 1:1 shot? So it seems like their instructions are to take out 1Bs, treads to 2, take out 2Bs, then hit treads. That's typically a sound plan on the attack, but there comes a point where treads are more important than everything. :P

Still, I'm having a lot of fun with this, and not getting much work done.

Last edited by Eugee; 10-06-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Yeah, my experience has been the same. One of the hallmarks of Ogre has always been planning how to weather a storm of bad rolls. If you do it right, you can still win.
That's always been one of my favorite aspects of Ogre. The significant chance aspect keeps it interesting & challenging, without being tedious.

During a game this summer, I had my brother in a perfect trap -then rolled seven consecutive "1"s and a "2". Oh well...I tried to blame defective dice, but they seem to work fine for everyone else.

I did notice during the beta that the AI gets runs of bad rolls too, so their pseudorandom generator must be OK.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #13
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I did notice during the beta that the AI gets runs of bad rolls too, so their pseudorandom generator must be OK.
Or at least equally poor for both sides ;-)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
Eugee

http://puu.sh/xRuJM/966f6d9a2b.jpg

This might be the best Blindside run I've had. Got the 1B & M3 downed by turn 2, got the 2Bs down and then armor started working the treads while INF peeled off the AP, since they were in front of the MK3 instead of chasing it. I don't think it's going to make it. :)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
http://puu.sh/xRuJM/966f6d9a2b.jpg

This might be the best Blindside run I've had. Got the 1B & M3 downed by turn 2, got the 2Bs down and then armor started working the treads while INF peeled off the AP, since they were in front of the MK3 instead of chasing it. I don't think it's going to make it. :)
I actually really liked the Blindsided scenario. I got a chance to play it by accident during the beta, and it was pretty unsettling having your Ogre turn on you. All the MSL tanks trying to get close enough racing down the road... pretty cool. :-)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #16
Eugee

http://puu.sh/xRwgY/07e878b5a2.jpg

OMG the KARMA! That might be the best tread round I've ever had.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Eugee

I'm not getting much done today at work. In other news, I just fielded 10 SHVY against a MKV!

Another new twist for me is using INF to blow up the road the OGRE is on so it doesn't get a move bonus!

THIS is how all OGRE fights should end. OVERRUN!

http://puu.sh/xRxCb/0a7ddbcd14.jpg

Last edited by Eugee; 10-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #18
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I love the graphic design on the overrun screen.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Seconded! It looks so right.

And yeah, Blindsided is great fun. I found myself really having to balance blowing up roads to slow the Ogre vs. getting my own scattered units into the battle quickly.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
THIS is how all OGRE fights should end. OVERRUN!

http://puu.sh/xRxCb/0a7ddbcd14.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Yes, they got the look down beautifully. It has a very Discs of Tron feel to it (which is also very appropriate). :-)