Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Gurps Fan

Default [PU4, PP] Mental Defense Only vs. Malediction-Proof

A simple question. Assume that you've bought DR with Malediction-Proof enhancement (Psionic Powers, p. 14) and that you defined it as "mental defence" on character generation. When a foe attacks you with an Innate Attack enhanced with Mental Defense Only (PU4, p. 19), does it ignore your DR?
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [PU4, PP] Mental Defense Only vs. Malediction-Proof

I would say yes, it specifies "Maledictions Only"
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Gurps Fan

Thanks. Then, it's clear that a telepath with a Mental Defense Only attack can easily defeat even antipsi villains who have invested a lot of points to Psychic Armor (Psionic Powers, p. 25). It's strange at first sight, but RAW is RAW.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Thanks. Then, it's clear that a telepath with a Mental Defense Only attack can easily defeat even antipsi villains who have invested a lot of points to Psychic Armor (Psionic Powers, p. 25). It's strange at first sight, but RAW is RAW.
Well the AntiPsi villans should also have Mind Shield.
I am not to sure that DR with enhanced against malediction wont work against attacks with Mental Defense only. I think there is room for both and would depend on special effect. Probably rule for though in most cases.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well the AntiPsi villans should also have Mind Shield.
It's true that Psionic Shield (actually a modified Mind Shield; see Psionic Powers, p. 24) is part of Antipsi power, but Psionic Shield and Psychic Armor is two different, separate abilities. The statement "All antipsi villains should have both Psionic Shield and Psychic Armor" sounds excessive, just like "All teleporters should have both Exoteleport and Innerportation" would sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think there is room for both and would depend on special effect.
The difference between "DR works" and "No DR" is crucial. This difference (if any) should be reflected on point cost but shoudn't depend on any zero-cost special effect.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
It's true that Psionic Shield (actually a modified Mind Shield; see Psionic Powers, p. 24) is part of Antipsi power, but Psionic Shield and Psychic Armor is two different, separate abilities. The statement "All antipsi villains should have both Psionic Shield and Psychic Armor" sounds excessive,.
I'd say the Psionic Shield is considerably more essential than the Armor to make an effect anti-psi villain.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'd say the Psionic Shield is considerably more essential than the Armor to make an effect anti-psi villain.
Sorry, but in this thread I'm not interested in what ability is suitable for villains in the light of genre convention. "What ability is 'essential' or not" is in the GM's jurisdiction. It depends on opinions, not facts.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Regardless "Malediction-Proof" Protects against Maledicitions, regardless of if it is an enhanced Innate Attack or an Affliction. A very specific Penetration Modifier.

"Mental Defense only" Uses Mindshield instead of DR and is a Penetration Modifier that specifically cannot be combined with Malediction.

I fail to see how they could interact.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Regardless "Malediction-Proof" Protects against Maledicitions, regardless of if it is an enhanced Innate Attack or an Affliction. A very specific Penetration Modifier.

"Mental Defense only" Uses Mindshield instead of DR and is a Penetration Modifier that specifically cannot be combined with Malediction.

I fail to see how they could interact.
You're right. Game-machanically, your argument is simple and completely convincing. Malediction-Proof DR works against and only against Malediction. Therefore, it doesn't work against any attack enhanced with Mental Defense Only. Q.E.D.

However, if the character concept requires a large amount of DR against all the damaging psychic attacks, then the most natural candidate among the abilities listed in Psionic Powers will be a high level of Psychic Armor (which is actually a Malediction-Proof DR), rather than Psionic Shield (which is actually a limited Mind Shield). Psychic Armor is a typical "mental defense", so supposing that Mental Defense Only attacks should ignore this mental defense seems unintuitive, even if it's what follows from the RAW.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Gurps Fan

Side question: If a Mental Defense Only attack is thrown on a inanimate object, does it inflict damage ignoring the object's DR? Or does it pass through the object harmlessly?

Tags
malediction-proof, mental defense only