Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
bluekitsune13

Default Anybody else play with Warhammer figures?

I found this gem of a game many years ago. I like to collect and paint miniatures of all kinds. Back when I played Warhammer Fantasy, I had loads of fantasy models I could use to play with. I'd just pick a model, and try to create a profile that best matched how they looked. With the new Age of Sigmar game replacing the Warhammer setting, I am trying to think how I can incorporate some of those models into the game.

Has anyone tried playing with Warhammer figures, or even newer Age of Sigmar ones? What kinds of rule tweaks have to come up with? I much prefer the old TFT rules to those of modern wargames for some reason. Eventually perhaps I'll do a rules rewrite for all the Warhammer models to make them work within the Fantasy Trip system. Anybody think the same?
bluekitsune13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Anybody else play with Warhammer figures?

They're great miniatures, and surprisingly affordable if you focus on the boxed sets. But you may find they are too big for most hex maps you might find.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
The Colonel

Some of their miniatures aren't bad - although they are distinctly "heroic" in terms of sculpts and given to arming their figures with detached helicopter rotors and portable cannon and character models tend to pile on the cheese over and above that. The rank and file boxed sets can be well worth the money - although affordability has started to take a dump recently.
You might also consider Mantic Games as a supplier of choice for some very similar fantasy models and North Star's Frostgrave does some good pieces.

Wouldn't touch their rules with along and dirty stick though (the modern ones at least - some of the older editions are quite playable).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
larsdangly

The standard, fantasy warhammer line of boxed sets includes a bunch of stuff that would pair well with TFT, including medieval infantry soldiers, rogues, and zombies and skeletons (among others).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Terquem

I recently bought a box of Age of Sigmar, Melusai figures which very accurately represent a race of creatures in my RPG campaign settings called Gymnagaopthians (Lizard folk with Halfling sized torsos on long lizard tails, based upon the “legless-lizard” family, Gymnophthalmidae)

By basing the figures on 30mm bases (instead of 40mm bases) they work great with my Lego Minifigs on my custom Melee map.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I recently bought a box of Age of Sigmar, Melusai figures which very accurately represent a race of creatures in my RPG campaign settings called Gymnagaopthians (Lizard folk with Halfling sized torsos on long lizard tails, based upon the “legless-lizard” family, Gymnophthalmidae)

By basing the figures on 30mm bases (instead of 40mm bases) they work great with my Lego Minifigs on my custom Melee map.
I have a few GW figures but was never a fan of their particular art style. I prefer the pre-painted plastic D&D figures for TFT though I also use some Heroscape and Dream blade stuff. In an ideal world I'd collect old Ral Partha and Citadel metal miniatures but cost, and a lack of interest in painting precludes that.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
ecz

I played a lot using warhammer miniatures, although the famous cardboard heroes are for ever linked to my first TFT campaigns and I still prefer use them also for sentimental reasons.

I used battle maps with slightly enlarged hexes to fit also the minatures