Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #861
RogerBW

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
507b) A 20 stories building intact except for one set of apartments having collapsed straight down is unlikely.
Look up Ronan Point some time. Representative photo at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/w...flats-1968.jpg .

Quote:
507c) A 20 stories building intact except for now being horizontal instead of vertical? That's even worse.
For a while this was happening every few years in China, when people were skimping on foundations to get the blocks up faster. But yeah, some impact damage.

Quote:
507d) Not even a critical success in Freight Handling should allow someone to carry a pile of bricks taller than himself on his head.
Yeah, he'll need a bicycle.

http://photos.travellerspoint.com/20...ith_bricks.jpg
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #862
WingedKagouti

Quote:
507d) Not even a critical success in Freight Handling should allow someone to carry a pile of bricks taller than himself on his head.
With the amount of "people carrying silly amounts of <stuff> stacked really tall"-images from various third world countries, I'd call that a normal success on a roll with a -5 penality.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #863
Irish Wolf

RE: 507(e):

If they're locking pliers, that could work, although with a substantial penalty to any control rolls. I mean, as long as you can turn the steering column, you can turn the wheels; the steering wheel just makes it easier and more intuitive.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #864
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
RE: 507(e):

If they're locking pliers, that could work, although with a substantial penalty to any control rolls. I mean, as long as you can turn the steering column, you can turn the wheels; the steering wheel just makes it easier and more intuitive.
Can confirm, driving a car with locking pliers (or an adjustable wrench) in place of steering wheel is possible, though definitely at a significant penalty. I'd call it -5 for the locking grips, -7 for the adjustable wrench (it tightens down enough but is more likely to slip loose). Shave a point or two off the penalty if you have two of them, and there's room to attach both — gives you a much better grasping area.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #865
cvannrederode

Quote:
507)
507g) Not even a critical failure on an Architecture roll justify a balcony with no door to access it.
507h) Or a door on the second floor leading to a straight drop.
I've seen both of these in person. In g's case, the balcony is just there for ascetics. In the second case, renovations have removed what the door used to go to.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #866
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
I've seen both of these in person. In g's case, the balcony is just there for ascetics. In the second case, renovations have removed what the door used to go to.
The Alsea Commercial Company building was built before WW II...

The front porch and front balcony were removed when the road was widened and paved, as they were on the roadway easement. The building still stands, with a 2nd floor door to drop on the road.

Historic preservation is supposedly going to put a faux balcony to restore the original look.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #867
Anaraxes

Then there's the Winchester House in San Jose, CA. It has at least two doors that lead to drops (both outside and inside), and staircases that go all the way up into a solid ceiling. Lots of money, weird legal covenants, a probably not entirely mentally stable owner, and the 1906 earthquake all add up to an odd building. Its backstory is weird enough that your players wouldn't believe it wasn't contrived if it showed up in an RPG, so you're pretty safe with whatever reason you come up with for your inaccessible balcony and unsafe doors.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #868
Agemegos

Quote:
507g) Not even a critical failure on an Architecture roll justify a balcony with no door to access it.
507h) Or a door on the second floor leading to a straight drop.
My aunt & uncle's house had the latter, with a projecting beam and rail for mounting a pulley on. It was for hoisting supplies into and large works out of my aunt's studio.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #869
WaterAndWindSpirit

508) I can't have an alien species with Intuitive Mathematician on their racial templates using 1, 3, 4, 9, 11, 16, 20, 25, 30, 34, 39, 41, 46, 47, 49 and 50 cents coins so that they always give change with only two coins.
508a) Yes, it makes sense for a mathematically inclined alien species to optimize things like that in their currencies. My players however are not that mathematically inclined and are tired of trying to figure out just how much alien money they got when they looted something/someone and get a stack of 24 one cents coins, 31 3 cents coins, 12 four cents coins, 7 nine cents coin, 27 eleven cents coin, 13 sixteen cent coins, 5 twenty cent coins, 9 twenty-five cent coins, 6 thirty cents coins,13 thirty-four cent coins, 11 thirty-nine cent coins, 27 forty-one cent coins, 33 forty-six cent coins, 28 forty-seven cent coins, 29 forty-nine cent coins, and 3 fifty cent coins.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #870
RogerBW

Quote:
508) I can't have an alien species with Intuitive Mathematician on their racial templates using 1, 3, 4, 9, 11, 16, 20, 25, 30, 34, 39, 41, 46, 47, 49 and 50 cents coins so that they always give change with only two coins.
508a) Yes, it makes sense for a mathematically inclined alien species to optimize things like that in their currencies.
Not all optimisations are equal. Having that many different coins means that you have to recognise the values of that many different coins, which might not automatically come under Intuitive Mathematician even if the adding-up does; so that part will take longer even if counting them out is quicker.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote