Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
Blackwing

Default Recruiting Soldiers of God in 200 BC

Hello. I'm running a historical IN campaign set in 200 BC. Originally set in the Roman Republic, the characters have now gone to Egypt.

The cities have more ethereal portals than Heaven or Hell ones. I think it's easy for the local gods to recruit mortal humans or Soldiers.

But I've been wondering just how hard it is for angels to recruit mortals or Soldiers. After all, the humans' whole world view is very different than reality. I guess elohim can just ruthlessly lie to the humans. But the current commander is Uriel. Not only is he a former seraph, since his word is Purity I'm not sure he'd want his hosts to lie to human allies.

I guess I can just handwave things and assume that somehow the angels can just convince their staff that they're working for the good guys. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Recruiting Soldiers of God in 200 BC

One option would be to play up the CDaU around whether God was just a very successful Ethereal or not. Certainly from the POV of the Roman and Egyptian pantheons, He isn't special. Angels may mostly just be recruiting Jews (and possibly other monotheistic believers like Zoroastrians) in this period. Converting to these religions was mostly unheard of .

Alternatively, you could take the Zohar story of the Angel Dumah, who as tutelary angel of Egypt refused to judge the pagan gods, and was punished by being made to rule Gehenna. Perhaps in this period Heaven is occupying part of Hell, and Dumah is recruiting pagan soldiers. Also the angel Rahab is said to have been punished for saving Egyptians from the Red Sea, perhaps he is working in Egypt to recruit soldiers as a penance.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
Cooper

Default Re: Recruiting Soldiers of God in 200 BC

It is also worth remembering that the Angels aren't just servants of God they are an aspect of God's glory.

David does not need to recruit mortals faithful to the God of Abraham, just mortals who are skilled in stonecraft or metalcraft, or who are dedicated to solidarity and mutual support.

Dominic cannot recruit Christians yet, but given his eventual embrace of Catholicism, he has probably already decided by 200 BC that the Levite judges will never again live up to the promise of Solomon, and will do his best to recruit anyone interested in upholding fair and just laws, regardless of faith.

Etc.