Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Sabin

Default Epic Orc, Om Nom, Level Up?

I have a series of questions related to these powers, but I'll ask them separately (as one answer has the potential to make some of the others moot; and I remember reading "one question, one thread").

An Epic Orc is fighting Katrina (level 20) and Potted Plant (level 1), and has a Combat Strength of 31. If he chooses to Munchkin Munch the Potted Plant, will he win by more than 10 for the extra level?

Specifically, does eating a monster remove it from combat, or is its level still counted in the "more than 10" requirement? Thanks!
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Epic Orc, Om Nom, Level Up?

Well, if you don't use the Monster Munch, you'd have to beat the Monster side by 11+, so you'd need at least a 32, assuming the Monsters weren't later modified, to qualify for a 4th Level (Katrina gives 2, Potted Plant gives 1, winning by > 10 gives 1, totaling 4).

If you choose to use Monster Munch, then you're getting rid of the Monster unmolested (no one can stop you from getting rid of the Level 1 Monster if you use it), so you forgo the extra Level for killing it. However, in this specific instance, you'd still need to kill Katrina to get anything, and you'd have to beat Katrina by 11 to get an extra level.

No matter what, the Orc, epic or no, is only entitled to one extra level for beating the Monster side by greater than 10.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Sabin

Awesome, thanks! Just to clarify, in the specific scenario I posted, My 31 would Katrina's 20 by exactly 11, if the Potted Plant is no longer considered. So this would be a 4-level win?

Also, thanks for the final sentence in your answer. It was to be my next question, along with a more bizarre and unlikely scenario!
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Awesome, thanks! Just to clarify, in the specific scenario I posted, My 31 would Katrina's 20 by exactly 11, if the Potted Plant is no longer considered. So this would be a 4-level win?
Yes. The Level 1 Monster is no longer in the combat, but you'll only receive any rewards if any remaining Monsters are defeated. So, in this specific case, you would now be facing a Level 20 Monster, so you'd need 31 to qualify for 4 Levels.

Quote:
Also, thanks for the final sentence in your answer. It was to be my next question, along with a more bizarre and unlikely scenario!
The key to that is that you're always facing the Monsters combined, so even though the Orc card is written under the most common combat circumstance (one Monster, one munchkin), the ability really means that you have to beat the Monster side by more than 10. There's a similar, but opposite, example with respect to the Samurai in Munchkin Fu, but I won't confuse things further by going into further detail, especially if you don't have the game.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Grej

If epic-orc is a helper, can he go up a level for eating monster?
Grej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grej View Post
If epic-orc is a helper, can he go up a level for eating monster?
No. But he can give the main player a level by doing so.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, epic, epic orc, munchkin munch, orc