Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Keitel
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Banestorm 2015

Hello

Next year GURPS Banestorm is 10 years old. Meaning another 10 years passed on Yrth. Is SJG planning on publishing an update of Yrthian current events and recent history? I sometimes use Banestorm in conventions and meetups (it is a great setting) and its getting really old saying it is the year of Our Lord 2005, especially with younger players. Of course, I could make something up, but I'd rather have some "official" Information.

Thank you for any information you can give me,

Cheers.
Keitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: One Mile Up
Default Re: Banestorm 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitel View Post
Hello
Hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitel View Post
Next year GURPS Banestorm is 10 years old. Meaning another 10 years passed on Yrth. Is SJG planning on publishing an update of Yrthian current events and recent history?
Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitel View Post
I sometimes use Banestorm in conventions and meetups (it is a great setting) and its getting really old saying it is the year of Our Lord 2005, especially with younger players. Of course, I could make something up, but I'd rather have some "official" Information.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitel View Post
Thank you for any information you can give me
I've got nothing official, but generally-speaking, I don't expect a lot of official support for this setting. A lot of avowed GURPS fans don't like it for various reasons (though for the record, I do, and the ones who do like it tend to really like it, including the longest-running local GURPS group that I know, which has been playing the same Banestorm campaign since before it was called Banestorm), and it's easy enough to make up 10 more years of history if you want to. That said, what's the problem with setting a game in local 2005? A lot of games take place in various historical settings much-farther removed from the present than that. Or you could just bump events up by a decade, if the numbers mean that much to you.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
SCAR
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Default Re: Banestorm 2015

I think the Banestorm issue of Pyramid was really good, and it was released on the fifth anniversary (August 2010). A Banestorm II issue next year would seem a decent possibility.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Rasputin
 
Rasputin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Default Re: Banestorm 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I think the Banestorm issue of Pyramid was really good, and it was released on the fifth anniversary (August 2010). A Banestorm II issue next year would seem a decent possibility.
There hasn't been a request for one on the list. I don't know what the queries and submissions are, but I would gather that Dungeon Fantasy has easily bypassed Banestorm as the go-to for most fantasy submissions.
__________________
Cura isto securi, Eugene.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
SCAR
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Default Re: Banestorm 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
There hasn't been a request for one on the list. I don't know what the queries and submissions are, but I would gather that Dungeon Fantasy has easily bypassed Banestorm as the go-to for most fantasy submissions.
The Pyramid Wish List only goes up to January (assuming no surprise issues), and the 'Fantasy Threats' item currently on the wish list explicitly states that [submissions] need not be for Dungeon Fantasy, and goes as far as suggesting thinking outside that box - so DF is by no means the exclusive 'box' for Fantasy articles, although I agree that it is the most common.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Michael Cule
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Default Re: Banestorm 2015

Problem is the problems.

By which I mean there were a whole wedge of problems set up in BANESTORM and an update will not only have to give an answer to them but to set up new problems. Which is likely to conflict with those of us who have run our own campaigns in which Mighty Heroes (aka the PCs) have done what they do and changed things, hopefully mostly for the better.

That said, there should be at least a PYRAMID in it if they want to do it.

Maybe you could do a set of different Yrths, newly created parallels which spring from the resolution of the various plot threads. If the Emperor is destroyed cleanly then all hail the bright reforming new Emperor, if not so cleanly but still destroyed then there's a Civil War with the Templars lying madly to cover up their Grand Master's sin, if he's still on the throne then a new age of corruption and decadence... And so on.

Me, I'd pay for more fully worked out stuff on the various cultures. A Sahud book, please! A CITY OF MEGALOS, please....
__________________
Michael Cule,
Genius for Hire,
Gaming Dinosaur Second Class
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'
 
simply Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wyoming, Michigan
Default Re: Banestorm 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I've got nothing official, but generally-speaking, I don't expect a lot of official support for this setting. A lot of avowed GURPS fans don't like it for various reasons (though for the record, I do, and the ones who do like it tend to really like it, including the longest-running local GURPS group that I know, which has been playing the same Banestorm campaign since before it was called Banestorm), and it's easy enough to make up 10 more years of history if you want to.
Indeed, and those that dislike it in whole or in part often have very different reasons for doing so. I particularly like the use of the standard magic system and the in-setting Christianity with no clerical magic. I've seen various people criticize it over varying combinations of the above.

I in particular don't like the low-fantasy "World is mostly settled and explored" approach with minimal room for independant globetrotting dungeon delvers seeking loot for a living and slaying monsters for great justice. I still accept it for what it is, and there are a few nods dowards dungeonist gameplay in the forest, desert, and distant island places.

Probably my strongest critique of the GURPS Banestorm book for 4th Edition over GURPS Fantasy for 3rd is that modern English and Yrthian Anglish don't default to one another at Broken, when making the majority of Banestormed crusaders English and having their language derive therefrom was almost certainly based on the gamist notion of allowing English-speaking PCs transported to the setting to communicate in some fashion.

And having said that, it's still one of my favorite RPG settings (right behind TFT's Cidri and D&D 4e's Points of Light).
__________________
Ba-weep granah wheep minibon. Wubba lubba dub dub.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
10 years, 2015, banestorm, recent history, yrth

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.