Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #121
the1weasel

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
If you scaled them down to the size of a counter you may as well draw stick-men on the counters. Maybe my eyes are just that old and bad now. I dunno.

I prefer counters/tokens that are mainly just faces. They're visually more intuitive to me regarding facing and allow more detail in such a small amount of space. I'm no artist but here are a bunch I made for myself in a retro video-game or retro cartoon style:
PCs:
http://mmmnm.blogspot.com/2016/05/up...-counters.html
Monsters:
http://mmmnm.blogspot.com/2016/05/up...unters_28.html

Those were all drawn pixel by pixel using paint. Again, I'm not an artist. :P
Ive found that some fantasy based CCG’s (aka MTG) have very good, small artwork which can be used in this manner. I may do that again. Of course, you’d better make sure the value isn’t too pricy before hacking them up.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #122
Skarg

Oh! I see I mis-read your question. I thought you meant making my own cardboard hero style standees using my own art (which I asnwered above), but you asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
... So finally, my point...has anybody has any luck printing their cardboard standee style pawns on a smaller scale for use as tokens??
Yeah, when I first got GURPS Man To Man, one of the first things I did was shrink down the Cardboard Heroes to TFT counter size (using a photocopier, no less...) and glue them onto TFT-sized counters. It worked great! It's even easier with a scanner printer. And you can find counters in that (and other) formats with a web search. Making TFT-style counters is quite easy.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #123
platimus

Quote:
Yeah, when I first got GURPS Man To Man, one of the first things I did was shrink down the Cardboard Heroes to TFT counter size (using a photocopier, no less...) and glue them onto TFT-sized counters. It worked great! It's even easier with a scanner printer. And you can find counters in that (and other) formats with a web search. Making TFT-style counters is quite easy.
There's also a tool for this that I've used before. I think it was called 'Token Tool'. Very handy. You can use whatever artwork you find on the web (for personal use only). Just drag the image over to the program window and it displays the image with an overlay that shows which part of the image will be on the token. You can move the image around and scale it up and down to make it fit well within the token overlay.

I know there are circle and square overlays. I think you can create your own as well. I know I made some one time that were hex shaped. There are also a number of optional borders included that can be applied to the token. Again, you can make your own too.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:08 AM   #124
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
There's also a tool for this that I've used before. I think it was called 'Token Tool'. Very handy. You can use whatever artwork you find on the web (for personal use only). Just drag the image over to the program window and it displays the image with an overlay that shows which part of the image will be on the token. You can move the image around and scale it up and down to make it fit well within the token overlay.

I know there are circle and square overlays. I think you can create your own as well. I know I made some one time that were hex shaped. There are also a number of optional borders included that can be applied to the token. Again, you can make your own too.
I’ll hit the Google for that but if you turn up the source before me, please post it.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:12 AM   #125
the1weasel

https://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/

Cool. Thanks platimus!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #126
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
You're very welcome!
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #127
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Google “Office Max Blueprints”. They’re very reasonable and as I noted they’ll laminate the maps for you as well.
Just picked up my first laminated blueprint MegaHex sheet - your no-background 1.5" hex PDF. It came out awesome - thanks for the tip!

Office Depot even gave me a bonus and laminated a bug on it :) Silly nuisance creatures.....
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote