Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Attercap

Default In Nomine in FATE 3.0

Since the pre-release documents of the Dresden Files RPG I've recently started playing (and running) in a few FATE 3.0 games and have really enjoyed the more role-play and story crafting approach of the system over more rules-heavy system. I was quite delighted when I found someone had taken one of my favorite game universes (In Nomine) and come up with a conversion for it into FATE. As much as I love GURPS, I've never found it very conducive for high-powered/four-color style games. Apologies if this has been posted before. I ran a few searches but found nothing, so figured it might be of interest. So, if you like FUDGE and/or FATE and are looking for conversion for In Nomine, there is this.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: In Nomine in FATE 3.0

Very interesting on the surface; I'll have to look a little deeper and see what I think. One thing I do especially like is that the first Vessel is assumed, rather than paid for out of Aspects/points/whatever. (Veterans of this board know that's one of my pet peeves with IN.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Jennifer

Wow, is that by Em Dresner? I was thinking that some of the example characters look awfully familiar...
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Attercap

I just checked the contact email address and, yep, edresner. Good call, Jennifer!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
BillionSix

It's doomed.

Now if it was DESTINY 3.0, that would bode well.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Jennifer

After looking this over and running the numbers, I'm suggesting an alternate rule for interventions. Em's version defaults to not using interventions at all, but she includes an optional rule to make rolls of ++++ and ---- interventions. This optional rule has two problems:
  1. It makes interventions too common. In canonical IN, a d666 roll has a 1:216 chance of being a favorable Intervention. In IN FATE, that chance is raised to 1:81.
  2. It chops the ends off of the standard 4dF range, making it impossible to get a result of -4 or +4.
Instead, roll 5dF and make rolls of +++++ and ----- your interventions. This brings the chance of a favorable Intervention to 1:243, which is much closer to the original 1:216. It also allows the possibility of getting a non-Intervention -4 or +4 result, like in FATE. Because both 4dF and 5dF are bell curves centered on 0, it doesn't affect the other probabilities very much - and what little impact exists is balanced between positive and negative so the net impact to the player is neutral. The overall effect of using 5dF with interventions should bring the conversion more in line with both original systems.
  • The chance of a 0 result decreases from 23.5% to 21.0%
  • The chance of a +1 or -1 result decreases from 19.8% to 18.5% each
  • The chance of a +2 or -2 result is unchanged
  • The chance of a +3 or -3 result increases from 4.9% to 6.2% each
  • The chance of a +4 or -4 result (originally overriden by an intervention) increases from 1.2% to 2.1% each
By the central limit theorem, the probability curve asymptotically approaches a normal distribution as more FUDGE dice are added. Only discrete instead of continuous.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
After looking this over and running the numbers, I'm suggesting an alternate rule for interventions. Em's version defaults to not using interventions at all, but she includes an optional rule to make rolls of ++++ and ---- interventions. This optional rule has two problems:
  1. It makes interventions too common. In canonical IN, a d666 roll has a 1:216 chance of being a favorable Intervention. In IN FATE, that chance is raised to 1:81.
  2. It chops the ends off of the standard 4dF range, making it impossible to get a result of -4 or +4.
Instead, roll 5dF and make rolls of +++++ and ----- your interventions. This brings the chance of a favorable Intervention to 1:243, which is much closer to the original 1:216. It also allows the possibility of getting a non-Intervention -4 or +4 result, like in FATE. Because both 4dF and 5dF are bell curves centered on 0, it doesn't affect the other probabilities very much - and what little impact exists is balanced between positive and negative so the net impact to the player is neutral. The overall effect of using 5dF with interventions should bring the conversion more in line with both original systems.
  • The chance of a 0 result decreases from 23.5% to 21.0%
  • The chance of a +1 or -1 result decreases from 19.8% to 18.5% each
  • The chance of a +2 or -2 result is unchanged
  • The chance of a +3 or -3 result increases from 4.9% to 6.2% each
  • The chance of a +4 or -4 result (originally overriden by an intervention) increases from 1.2% to 2.1% each
By the central limit theorem, the probability curve asymptotically approaches a normal distribution as more FUDGE dice are added. Only discrete instead of continuous.
Nice parsing. Thank you
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Wooodychuck

Some other sites (by online search):

http://warofsouls7.blogspot.com/2013...-core.html?m=1.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...amp-Domination

From the rules link posted earlier, I would remove Distinctions from character creation. Also, I would expect a gain of 1 FP for any actions that would gain 1 Essence. Finally, dissonance is not discussed and I would expect SOME dynamic (maybe -1 for each note of dissonance on resonance rolls).

Note: Though I am excited by both and own the books, I have neither played In Nomine (d666 or GURPS) nor FATE. At least, not yet. But due to this, I may be interpreting the rules incorrectly.
Wooodychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
thorr-kan

Perry Lloyd on the In Nomine email list did a conversion of IN to the Dresden Files RPG version of Fate. I looked it over, and I liked it.

I own both IN and DFRPG, but I don't claim to be an expert on either.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
Fedifensor

The War of Souls blog has a newer version of the Fate Core version for In Nomine. It hasn't had playtesting...though that changes tomorrow!

http://warofsouls7.blogspot.com/2017...l-version.html
(Edit: Revised 1/15/17)

Here's an example character:

Shephi, Elohim of Judgment (aka Sharon Smith)

Aspects
High Concept: Elohim of Judgment
Trouble: Grey is my least favorite color
Not every lesson comes from a book
A spoonful of sugar
Den mother

Resonance: Use Empathy or Investigate to read a person's emotional state, gain an aspect ("I know what you're going to do") if you succeed with style
Choir Attunement: Elohim of Judgment - Can see guilt on a person's face
Dissonance Conditions: Elohim - Cannot act on subjective reasons or be overcome with emotion. Judgment - Cannot inflict a punishment that is greater than the crime, cannot stand by while the innocent are being punished unfairly, cannot overlook what I believe is heresy in an angel.

Abilities
Celestial Resilience 1 - add 1 Armor on defense roll versus corporeal attacks
Ethereal Song of Harmony (uses Rapport) - negates violent action
Ethereal Song of Tongues (uses Lore) - communicate mentally

Skills
Great (+4): Investigate
Good (+3): Deceive, Rapport, Will
Fair (+2): Athletics, Empathy, Shoot, Stealth
Average (+1): Blending, Contacts, Fight, Notice

Items
Prop Pistol - This fake gun was used in many classic spy movies. While completely nonfunctional (and plastic), it looks real. By spending a point of Celestial stress to activate it for a scene, it becomes a Weapon:1 that attacks the Mental stress track, using Deceive instead of Shoot, opposed by the higher of Shoot or Will. The damage feels physical, but if the target figures out it is fake, they get a +2 on their Defense roll against future attacks. In situations where enemies may know about the Prop Pistol, you carry a real pistol that looks identical (Weapon:1, uses Shoot).

Refresh: 2
Stress: Physical (OO), Mental (OOOO), Essence (OOOO), Dissonance (OOOO)

Last edited by Fedifensor; 01-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Fedifensor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversions