Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
dcarson

Default Re: [Magic] powered by youth

While it didn't age you in the book Druid's Blood by Esther M. Friesner there is a fixed mana pool for mages. Since one thing magic could do was keep you from aging or make you younger every spell cast on anything else was shorting what could be a very long life. The royal family was mages and would use magic when needed to defend the realm but abdicated after a while and retired to live a long and peaceful life.

I have though about using it in a campaign but never had the right rest of the setting in mind. One problem I can see is that players are much more willing to kill off a PC to "win" the the actual PC would be.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I pictured the NPC who had this power waiting in his/her lair or just wondering around until the time came for him/her to intervene.
Oh. This is for an NPC? Well, that explains why he spent his cp for such an ability.

You've probably already put more work into something that will only be used by NPCs than is necessary.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
One problem I can see is that players are much more willing to kill off a PC to "win" the the actual PC would be.
Yeah I can see some players doing the "throw the monopoly board in the air" to get a win.

The dramatic application of "I'll throw 1000 points into spell X" could be used for good or bad narratively speaking.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #14
Refplace

See Onomancy in Pyramid 3-48 Secret Magic for another long term caster.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #15
dfinlay

If I recall correctly, the game The Riddle of Steel had a similar mechanic where spells aged you, though without the aging backwards part. Maybe look to reports/reviews of that to see how well it played out in game (I read the rule-book but never actually played it). That said, they did it with an otherwise much more powerful and versatile magic system than the GURPS Basic magic system.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #16
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
How do you gain skill without practicing as that would quickly kill?
Trade power for skill. Self-taught at a horrible rate by theorizing stuff, and whenever you cast a spell (basically at default based on lots of prep work+tons of extra FP for +4 skill, and perhaps extra time if allowed), you analyze the interactions for decades to improve your algorithms.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #17
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
The dramatic application of "I'll throw 1000 points into spell X" could be used for good or bad narratively speaking.
I've done this (using a demonic pact as power source) with the intent that the campaign would be about a Mage that had expended his pact and was on the run from demonic forces through his own fault.

This is also a good way of going over to the dark side in SW.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic