Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Axly Suregrip

Default How does MainGauche and TwoWeapons skill fit with each other?

Below I would like to know how others have interpreted the rules in ITL. I am not interested in House Rules. That is, please share your house rule only if it is an attempt to interpret the rules, not if it embellishes or adds to the rules. Also note this is strictly about ITL as Melee's MG rules are different.

When I read the rules for Main Gauche (MG) and the Two Weapons Skill, I find a hole that is not explicitly defined. With two weapons there are three possible uses: Attack with both, attack with one and attack with neither (Defend). I find the MG rules are not explicit about the parry effect when attacking with both.

MG rules state:
- both attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; MG strikes at AdjDX-4; No statement on -1 parry (allow or don't?).
- primary weapon attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; MG parries -1 (only vs 1 handed melee attacks)
- defend: Defends and MG parries -1 (only vs 1 handed melee attacks)

Two Weapons skill states:
- both attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon strikes at AdjDX-4; No parry.
- primary weapon attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon parries -2 (only vs melee attacks)
- defend: Defends and both weapons parry for a net -4 (only vs melee attacks)

When I look at the MG situation in light of the Two Weapons rules, I come to the conclusion that the MG does not get the -1 parry whenever the MG is attacking. This to me is logical as the MG is either being used to strike or parry.

If you assume no MG parry during MG attack, then the two can be combined cleanly. That is when you have someone with a MG and either Two Weapons skill or Fencing Skill, you are easily able to combine the rules. If instead you allow the MG to parry while striking, then combining the skill with the MG becomes a mess (-1 -2 and -3 at times and various amounts may not apply to 2 handed attacks, etc) nor is it logical it is doing both attacking and defending.

So I end up with:

Using MG with Two Weapons/Fencing skill:
- both attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon (MG) strikes at AdjDX-4; No parry.
- primary weapon attack: Primary weapon strikes using AdjDX; Secondary weapon (MG) parries -2 (only vs melee attacks) <-- improved both -1 to -2 and now all melee attacks
- defend: Defends and both weapons parry for a net -4 (only vs melee attacks) <-- improved both -1 to -2 and now all melee attacks

In the above, I would like to know how others have interpreted the rules in ITL. I am not interested in House Rules. That is, please share your house rule only if it is an attempt to interpret the rules, not if it embellishes or adds to the rules.

Let me know how you have interpreted this.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote