Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #121
afschell

Default Re: Advanced Combat Skills

I know I'm really late to the show, but I just want to verify that the evade portion of the UC talents is "automatic". By having UC II (or higher) you are automatically harder to hit for all hand weapon attacks regardless of your action. So those modifiers also apply to the attack rolls made with 4 dice if you also choose to "Defend".

Just checking my understanding.

Last edited by afschell; 08-18-2018 at 08:49 AM.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #122
Nils_Lindeberg

I coded my Monte Carlo sim that way, both for Expert and Mastery as well as UC talents. It seems likely that should be the interpretation. If not the rules needs to be clarified. All melee attacks get the negative modifier, but the Defend options adds another die. So they should stack with RAW.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #123
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Interpretation is correct :)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #124
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Okay, here's another wall of text.

Weapon Mastery (3)
• Bonus to defend. All melee attacks against a Master who has weapon in hand are at -3 DX. If a Master chooses the Defend option, attackers must roll two extra dice when attacking.
Part of the power of the original TFT was that I only needed to know WHAT my opponent was doing, not WHO he was. Defending was visible and so required an extra die. There was no negative reflection on an attacker's DX.

I suggest losing most of that paragraph and making anyone roll 1 extra die when attacking an expert or 2 when attacking a Master, e.g. an expert or master can defend and attack with their special weapon. But also raise the IQ minimum to 14 for expert and 16 or even 18 for Master. They should be RARE.

TFT is already deadly. These talents, as with the higher UC talents, makes it a one hit kill almost regardless of armor. That might be fun for the player but not as much when the opponent is able to kill that quickly. We're back to killer hobbits. ST 4, DX 14, IQ 14?

Last edited by Helborn; 08-21-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Adding a thought
Helborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #125
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Part of the power of the original TFT was that I only needed to know WHAT my opponent was doing, not WHO he was. Defending was visible and so required an extra die. There was no negative reflection on an attacker's DX.

I suggest losing most of that paragraph and making anyone roll 1 extra die when attacking an expert or 2 when attacking a Master, e.g. an expert or master can defend and attack with their special weapon. But also raise the IQ minimum to 14 for expert and 16 or even 18 for Master. They should be RARE.

TFT is already deadly. These talents, as with the higher UC talents, makes it a one hit kill almost regardless of armor. That might be fun for the player but not as much when the opponent is able to kill that quickly. We're back to killer hobbits. ST 4, DX 14, IQ 14?
Some of your ideas has also been discussed in this thread. http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158678

I am not too fond of the -1 or -2 adjDX penalties that you can't see. I think it will be a constant irritation, and "Ahh I forgot that, should we redo everything that happens since last turn when we missed it?" or "Ahh was it that guy that had -1 and the other one had -2".

With combining Defending and whole dice we have a large obvious thing that will be easier to remember. And side attacks and such can be seen by both players and is the same for all. And I would really want some kind of possibility to attack back (repost) while defending and dodging. Even if it is with a -6DX and half damage. This would also open up other possibilities for UC, Expertise and mastery improvements in the talent descriptions. You can attack back with smaller and smaller penalties. Or you don't care about adjDX for repost attacks and stack up on armor instead and take the hits like a boss. :-)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote