Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #21
trooper6

Default Re: [Magic] Concussion Spell OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
As for hitting yourself or missing the target, it is very easy to position the spell to only hit the opponent, even if they are closer than 10 yards. At 5 yards, throw the spell 5 yards behind at the ground (-1 to hit). If you miss, it scatters in a random directly by the margin of failure. Even with a modified skill of 9 you will hit within 5 yards of the original target ~80% of the time, which catches your opponent but not yourself.

The point of hitting allies is a valid one, but I could see a very dangerous (against stunnable opponents, of course) set up with concussion being used to stun people while the archer of the group takes vital shots at the stunned, and the melee people stand in front of the group and smack down the 20% of people who are not stunned. This seems powerful, but no more so than some other spells used properly. We'll use the spell as written right now and make any changes we deem necessary in the future if it is still easily abusable.
The closer the enemy is to the mage the more difficult it will be to make sure the mage does not hit him- or herself. If the enemy can flank the mage...the mage will not be in a good way. If the enemy spreads out (which they should do if the party has mage's or hand grenades)...the mage is not going to be able to stop everyone. And it just needs a few to get through...Or a few archers. Some people with protected hearing will ruin the mage's day as well.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
brianfb

Tldr this thread; the spell is situational and hard to use.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Speaking of OP ---

No really. I understand the fluff, but that perk is nasty.
I concur. I would never allow it as it basically turns DX into a dump stat for missile wizards and I want to encourage interesting trade-offs between as many options as I can during character generation and advancement.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
Dustin

Agree that the spell is overpowered; I had to nerf it to a straight HT roll for my games, and rule that those deafened from a previous Concussion got a bonus vs the next one to prevent it being used to spam-Stun large groups of foes.

Hitting an entire hex (as opposed to an individual target) at 10+ yards to place the blast is just not that difficult, so the only fights where it didn't come out were those that took place in a shoebox at immediate melee range.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #25
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
quick question here- the spell states you can spend 2 FP per level of magery per round- but magery is not a prerequisite. In a high mana area how much energy can a non mage put into this spell?
0 x 0 = 0. If a spell is limited by your level of Magery, non-mages can only learn it for prerequisite chains.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #26
Nereidalbel

Nope. You invest energy, not FP directly. Energy is powered by FP, ER, Powerstones, and HP for the crazy ones. Missile spells do nothing for non-mages, and learning them if you can't buy or gain Magery in play is literally wasting points.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #27
VariousRen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Nope. You invest energy, not FP directly. Energy is powered by FP, ER, Powerstones, and HP for the crazy ones. Missile spells do nothing for non-mages, and learning them if you can't buy or gain Magery in play is literally wasting points.
This is true for most missile spells, but you may be able to convince your GM that for 0 energy, you get the concussion stunning effect with no damage. Damage is keyed off of the energy you put in, but the stunning just happens regardless. We're already ok with spells costing 0 mana (from high skill), so it doesn't seem too ridiculous to have spells that cost 0 mana by default.

This is pretty munchkin-ey though, so don't be surprised if your GM says no :P.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #28
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
This is true for most missile spells, but you may be able to convince your GM that for 0 energy, you get the concussion stunning effect with no damage. Damage is keyed off of the energy you put in, but the stunning just happens regardless. We're already ok with spells costing 0 mana (from high skill), so it doesn't seem too ridiculous to have spells that cost 0 mana by default.

This is pretty munchkin-ey though, so don't be surprised if your GM says no :P.
Free, ranged AoE stun for 1 point invested in a skill? Yeah, that ain't gonna fly.

Tags
concussion, magic