Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #41
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie View Post
A wiki has mostly the same advantages as a forum (except that forum emphasizes traffic where wiki emphasize content). Both are free lunch for companies, since the community is not asking for any salary to do the job.

We just have to convince SJG about this.
Not gonna happen. As it has been explained to me, these forums are primarily a marketing tool for the publisher and have to be policed accordingly. They cost money rather than make money, and time spent adminning the forums takes the admins away from their day jobs doing things that do make money, like MUNCHKIN. They've already trimmed back on the forum diversity 2-3 times in the last 4 years, I just don't see them engaging another no-money project that will require monitoring of hundreds of articles for vandalism and spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's also mechanical turk services and the like for the same goals.
For shizzle? Captchas are enough of a pain for my weak eyes that I could actually use one.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #42
David Latapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How about requiring a minimum number of posts AND account age on this forum to get wiki editing rights automatically. With the ability to bypass the requirement with the approval from a senior member?
I like this. Of course, it would work only if SJG creates its own wiki, not for Wikia.

Sean Punch, can you talk about this "internal wiki" idea to the webmaster?
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie View Post
I like this. Of course, it would work only if SJG creates its own wiki, not for Wikia.

Sean Punch, can you talk about this "internal wiki" idea to the webmaster?
I also liked the idea!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #44
TJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Not gonna happen. As it has been explained to me, these forums are primarily a marketing tool for the publisher and have to be policed accordingly. They cost money rather than make money, and time spent adminning the forums takes the admins away from their day jobs doing things that do make money, like MUNCHKIN.
Quite not true, as i am sure that (originally) GURPSnet and later the Forum take a big part in sales!

I for sure would already long time have forgotten GURPS without them!
This way, i bought lots and lots stuff - mostly things i will never realy use.

Just because of the forum!
And a WiKi would prove to be benefitial too, i am sure!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #45
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Not gonna happen. As it has been explained to me, these forums are primarily a marketing tool for the publisher and have to be policed accordingly. They cost money rather than make money, and time spent adminning the forums takes the admins away from their day jobs doing things that do make money, like MUNCHKIN. They've already trimmed back on the forum diversity 2-3 times in the last 4 years, I just don't see them engaging another no-money project that will require monitoring of hundreds of articles for vandalism and spam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Quite not true, as i am sure that (originally) GURPSnet and later the Forum take a big part in sales!

I for sure would already long time have forgotten GURPS without them!
This way, i bought lots and lots stuff - mostly things i will never realy use.

Just because of the forum!
And a WiKi would prove to be benefitial too, i am sure!
TJA, I think you're making Jeff's point. The forums is a marketing tool. It worked on you in that respect anyway. But no one is paying to use the forums. Thus, the forums themselves only cost money. But it can still be an effective marketing tool.

I wouldn’t have bought as much GURPS stuff if I didn’t have this place to hang out at, especially now when most GURPS stuff is published as pdfs, and it would have been less likely that my interest in the system would have survived without new products. Even though I think it is the best system I’ve ever used, with such excellent products as GURPS Vehicles.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 AM   #46
Jürgen Hubert

Thread necromancy!

While the original website that collected them is gone, zedlopez put in some work and added them to the GURPS Repository. I hope you will find them useful!

Tags
kromm, kromm answer, kromm explanation, reference, wikia