Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #41
DSumner

Default Re: Japanese Oni's

Quote:
Originally Posted by piningforthefjords
CP Gamma (aside from being a great Ogre fan site) has pics of Old Crow minis here.
Those are the ships I was talking about, and as you see, they look like they're perfect fit for use with OM. I wonder if anyone at SJG as spoken with them about possibly using them as a partner at some point (can you say Cyberships?).

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
DSumner

Henry, IIRC, you had your take on the Japanese "Superwire" AP guns posted somewhere. Do you recall where?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #43
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Henry, IIRC, you had your take on the Japanese "Superwire" AP guns posted somewhere. Do you recall where?
No, but I can google.

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/archives/2001/gevnov02.txt
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #44
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb
Thank you, and an one final request. Any chance what-so-ever, of you restarting your Ogre site?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #45
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Thank you, and an one final request. Any chance what-so-ever, of you restarting your Ogre site?
Highly unlikely.

The company that took over my web provider got me to resubscribe by threatening a rate hike and then cut their services right afterwards so I might not keep that account for long.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #46
Marcus Heinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysnowball
I thought of this (or overthought this), but the ship would have serious stability issues as thousands of tonnes of Ogre rolled back and then dropped off the stern. Easier to have the Ogre stay at the ship's centre of mass all the time. A less traditionally configured ship would also be better able to recover an Ogre from the seabed with winches (hopefully not something to try in combat).
So how about an internal crane and trap door in the bottom of the hull? Each Mark III would be in a special harness that the crane unit could attach to, then the door could open and the crane unit could lower the Mark III down and either deposit it on the seabed floor. The Mark III would just drive the rest of the way to the beach.

OGRE Geek Code:
S+ 01+ 02++ G+++ S+++ RP+++ OM+++ B+++ GO() O3D+++ PO +++ HR/NU++ MK1+ MK2+ MK3+ MK4+ MK5+ MK6+ F+ D+ CM+ W+

Last edited by Marcus Heinous; 04-17-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: left out a word
Marcus Heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #47
DSumner

I've been giving it some thought, how about a semi-submersible ship? It would partially submerge, allowing the Ogre/Oni to float off under its own power, and then slowly rise back to the surface. It's technique that's been used to transport large structures like oil rigs, and damaged vessels that need repair (like the USS Cole). I could see the Hihon Imperial Navy having several dedicated Oni transport ships designed specifically for that task.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 AM   #48
jpattern

"So how about an internal crane and trap door in the bottom of the hull?"

That is *exactly* the idea that I've been playing around with. I need to flesh out my ideas more before I post them, though.

Jeff
jpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #49
ladue

Given the importance and cost of Ogres, I would think that multiple Ogres per ship is pretty unlikely (let alone the size of the devils).

I'm thinking that the great powers would build "snap on" flotation equipment for their Ogres. Think of supersized versions of the D-Day dummy tanks. Give each Ogre a propulsion unit in back, and configurable flotation devices along the sides sufficient to keep the Ogre semi or full submerged. When it reaches it's target, the ogre floods the flotation, detaches from the transport sled and proceeds along the bottom. Make the sled autonomous enough to return to port for another Ogre. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

This has a lot of advantages. Each Ogre can control it's approach and therefore it's vulnerability individually. No large ships to be detected and sunk. You can put as few or as many Ogres at a target as you like up to your limit of "sleds". The sleds themselves are entirely submerged at all times, so are less vulnerable to enemy action. Depending on how you build them, you could make the sleds be generic, only adjusting the add on flotation for each Ogre type.

One disadvantage is that they'd likely be a bit slow (not streamlined for the simplest versions). For long ocean transport you could use regular (if huge) transport vessels while sleds are used for shorter range direct beach assaults.
ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #50
TMR

As far as Ogres crossing the sea under their own power. I like the Idea of an amphibious kit for Ogres. Another way would be for the Ogres to take the Northern route. Drop the Ogre off near Mednyy island then cross over to the Aleutians and then down the west coast till you get to the point you want to come ashore. that way you avoid the deep water and its really does not add that much to the length traveled
And for sensor net. It would require constant maintenance even without the bad guys trying to wreck it. By the time of the Nihon Invasion it could be pretty much in tatters. Perhaps there would even be special weapons designed just to try to knock out the sensors.
Also add me to the list of people who would like to see a point value listed for the ONi's , golem, and even Chinese Dragons
TMR is offline   Reply With Quote