Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #21
FireHorse

Default Re: Japanese Oni's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylwin13
Someone's even done a Deluxe OGRE-scale map of the area already.
Not quite; that map doesn't have Berkeley on it.

On the other hand, it does have Haight-Ashbury… so it's worth a few Cruise Missiles.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #22
woodchuck

Berkeley is a nuclear-free zone.
woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck
Berkeley is a nuclear-free zone.
I could make several smart comments, but I'll bite my tongue restrain myself. Now I do have question, anyone want to hazard a guess as to how the Nihon transported their Oni across the pacific? I really can't see them casually strolling along the sea floor, and Combine Cybersubs would have wreaked havoc on ships large enough to transport them. Combine naval forces would have harassed any convoys from the moment they set sail toward the West Coast.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #24
MaDaRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
Now I do have question, anyone want to hazard a guess as to how the Nihon transported their Oni across the pacific? I really can't see them casually strolling along the sea floor, and Combine Cybersubs would have wreaked havoc on ships large enough to transport them. Combine naval forces would have harassed any convoys from the moment they set sail toward the West Coast.
According to the Ogre time-line the the Nihon invasion doesn't occur until after the Combines collapse. So I guess the answer might be that there was no Combine navy. Any remaining north american naval units would have been close to home dealing with unrest, revolution, and each other and not keeping an eye on the Nihon navy.
MaDaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
FireHorse

For the very reasons you cite, I would suspect they did just crawl across the ocean floor. It'd be much safer than any surface transport, and it wouldn't really take all that long. Tokyo is almost exactly 5000 miles from San Francisco; and at M3 (4500 meters per turn, so approx. 42 miles per hour) that's about a 120-hour drive: 5 days. I could see 'em doing that.

Incidentally, speaking of Movement rates… the Oni (and most other Ogres) have M3, which means three hexes per turn; and one hex is 1500 meters (or 1.5 k), while one turn is 4 minutes, right? And there are fifteen turns in one hour; therefore:

(3 x 1.5) x 15 = 67.5 kph = 41.94 mph

Is my math flawed in any way? I don't think so…

…but then explain why the Ogre Mark V Blueprint Poster says "Maximum Combat Speed 90 kph"…?
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
Tickled to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse
Incidentally, speaking of Movement rates… the Oni (and most other Ogres) have M3, which means three hexes per turn; and one hex is 1500 meters (or 1.5 k), while one turn is 4 minutes, right? And there are fifteen turns in one hour; therefore:

(3 x 1.5) x 15 = 67.5 kph = 41.94 mph

Is my math flawed in any way? I don't think so…

…but then explain why the Ogre Mark V Blueprint Poster says "Maximum Combat Speed 90 kph"…?
The 'extra' 20kph is 'jinking' movement during a turn to avoid projectiles, find the best ground to move over??
Tickled to Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #27
Glenn Jupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled to Death
The 'extra' 20kph is 'jinking' movement during a turn to avoid projectiles, find the best ground to move over??
Road bonus, perhaps?
Glenn Jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #28
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Jupp
Road bonus, perhaps?
That would be my guess also. I figure when it's on a nice flat highway, it can roll full out, but in rough terrain, or even an open field, it would have to slow down to cut down on wear on its frame.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #29
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse
For the very reasons you cite, I would suspect they did just crawl across the ocean floor. It'd be much safer than any surface transport, and it wouldn't really take all that long. Tokyo is almost exactly 5000 miles from San Francisco; and at M3 (4500 meters per turn, so approx. 42 miles per hour) that's about a 120-hour drive: 5 days. I could see 'em doing that.
OK, now that you put it that way, I might buy it. But still can't see them leaving the whole west coast open to attack. If nothing else the modern day US Navy has a series of underwater sensors to detect submarines and other what not off the coast. I figure the Combine Navy and Coast Guard would have a similar system. Or at least some sort of defense network (Mines?) set up to keep Pearl Harbor II from happening. But, either way, it would still be fun to play out.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #30
Apache
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner
OK, now that you put it that way, I might buy it. But still can't see them leaving the whole west coast open to attack. If nothing else the modern day US Navy has a series of underwater sensors to detect submarines and other what not off the coast. I figure the Combine Navy and Coast Guard would have a similar system. Or at least some sort of defense network (Mines?) set up to keep Pearl Harbor II from happening. But, either way, it would still be fun to play out.

Also, the bottom of the Pacific Ocean is hardly 'flat'.

You have trenches, undersea mountains, volcano's, volcanic vents, etc. The sea floor is hardly compact ground, either......there are many places where an Ogre could get STUCK, indefinitely.

And while Ogres can travel underwater, it is canon that deep ocean pressure is dangerous to the standard combat Ogre (all the background about the various problems getting Ogres across the Atlantic to Europe, and vice versa...); they aren't designed to handle it. Even if the Ogre is undamaged, many of its combat systems (and the electronics) would probably be severely damaged by the pressure and prolonged exposure to sea water.