Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
AMOE

Default Re: "threatening" and "future deals"

I don't play that way. We never make future deals or promises, or even threaten. I was just pointing out that it felt in the spirit of "backstabbing your buddies". Everything's legal in love and war... and in Munchkin too!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOE View Post
Everything's legal in love and war... and in Munchkin too!
I really hate this attitude. It caters to the most immature, least sporting type of gamers out there. Munchkin has rules and it's not unreasonable to expect people to follow them.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I really hate this attitude. It caters to the most immature, least sporting type of gamers out there. Munchkin has rules and it's not unreasonable to expect people to follow them.
I'm not sure I agree, in this specific case. I think that, in regard to that, Munchkin should be like Illuminati: honor your word NOW, but you don't HAVE to honor it later. Of course you can choose to do as promised, specially if you are among friends. But sometimes the promises for future situations can become traps, as the game circunstances may change.

And I don't see that as cheating. I believe there is even a card in Munchkin Bites!, a monster that says "you must ask for help but the helper cannot gain anything from the fight. The most you can offer is a future help for free (but would you believe him?)". This card, to me, implicitly states that you're not BOUND to help in future situations (otherwise there would be no need for the last sentence).

But, as I said, I think there is a difference in "okay, I'll take back, I'm not going to help you anymore just to screw you" and "ok, the game has turned, now I am not going to help you because you may win".

That said, I never encourage people to do future deals when I teach the game. But I stick to the Illuminati philosphy: if you guys made a deal for the time, then there's no turning back. If you want to make a future deal: ok, would you believe him?
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
I'm not sure I agree, in this specific case.
I wasn't addressing the whole thread; I was addressing the specific "There's no such thing as 'legal' in Munchkin" comment. These people are the kind of gamers Munchkin makes fun of.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I wasn't addressing the whole thread; I was addressing the specific "There's no such thing as 'legal' in Munchkin" comment. These people are the kind of gamers Munchkin makes fun of.
Yeah, totally agreed. I've seen people playing Munchkin as blatant cheating, and it was no fun at all.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
AMOE

I just wrote that last sentence "Everything is legal..." because it's a common expression. I just added "in munchkin too!" as a joke. Of course I don't cheat (unless it's legally cheating, with the Cheat! cards).

And I don't play like a jerk. In fact, in my last MQ game, I was a cleric, and offered healing for free.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #17
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheatcorn View Post
So after several sessions of munchkin, there have been several situations where we are not sure if what we are doing would be ok. i haven't seen anything in the rules which say otherwise, so i assume its legal, but what are other peoples thoughts?

Scenario 1:
when 2 people are competing with each other to help another person, the bargaining usually goes down to

"I'll help you for the last treasure only"

and we then start using threats such as:

"if you pick the other person to help, i'll add +10 to the monster"

Is this legal?
We have people using these threats in our game and that is fine as far as we're concerned. Some people will say stuff you I'm still not going to take your help or they may say I already accepted the help before you said that so I'm sticking with them. That is fine.

Just because someone threatens you does not mean you have to do what they say. Of course sometimes I'm actually bluffing and can't follow through. My wife will ignore threats and if you take action get revenge later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheatcorn View Post
Scenario 2:
Sometimes instead of threats, we'll make long term deals, eg:

"I'll help you for the last treasure, and i'll help you again for free provided it doesn't make you win the game"

are these future deals legal?
I know the official ruling given here is that they are legal. In our group I have always maintained that people can back out of future deals if they want. One person did once and has since learned the price for that is that I will never ever trust them again when making a deal so generally won't help them at all. I guess everybody learnt from him! After all there are always consequences for actions
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #18
darksaba

Recently I was in a game and a 10 treasure monster came up. I took the attitude that as there was so much treasure I was entitled to a chunk of it even though I wasn't helping. My central selling point was that either I get some treasure or everybody got nothing... and they paid. The next combat was worth 5 treasures and again I argued for my share. After they paid again I instated my intitlement tax - Anybody fighting a monster that has more than three treasures had to pay me one treasure. And everyone accepted it! I had more treasure comming in than I knew what to do with... And nobody was prepared to find out what I could do if they didn't pay. Eventually someone did stick their neck out and get walloped (I had a fools gold card - monster has no treasure) but it took a very long time for that to happen.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #19
AMOE

Unless it's a post-battle trade, I don't think it is legal to have the main player and his helper relinquish their treasures to someone not in battle. I would like to see the ruling of either Andrew or MunchkinMan on this though.

I am aware that some cards may make the monster have no treasures, or much less treasures, or that you might have the possibility of taking treasures from others with certain other cards, but the way I'd rule it is that, as long as the battle isn't over, you can't legally give treasures to other people that aren't part of said battle, even if they threatened to use cards that reduce or eliminates the amount of treasures gained from the fight.

You can always try threatening them though, "like we could stop you", as the rules say about showing your cards to the other munchkins.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #20
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaba View Post
Recently I was in a game and a 10 treasure monster came up. I took the attitude that as there was so much treasure I was entitled to a chunk of it even though I wasn't helping. My central selling point was that either I get some treasure or everybody got nothing... and they paid. The next combat was worth 5 treasures and again I argued for my share. After they paid again I instated my intitlement tax - Anybody fighting a monster that has more than three treasures had to pay me one treasure. And everyone accepted it! I had more treasure comming in than I knew what to do with... And nobody was prepared to find out what I could do if they didn't pay. Eventually someone did stick their neck out and get walloped (I had a fools gold card - monster has no treasure) but it took a very long time for that to happen.
As long as people were giving Items to you (i.e., trading for nothing in return) after the combat (the only legal way this could work for you), and they were stupid enough to do it, that's on them.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote