Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #371
vitruvian

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I haven't really finished Chuck's role in the Reboot beyond "headmaster of the world's most renowned mutant high", but I don't see much in the way of professor at ESU with his duties at the X-Mansion. I kinda had the idea that Warren would be funding the X-Men this time out.

In the original comics, it kinda helped that Chuck married an alien empress....
I don't know, he was running the show, including setting them up with supersonic stealth jets and such, for a long time before he ever met Lilandra. It is true that the Danger Room got a lot more realistic after they laid their hands on Shi'ar tech, though.

Now, how much of that was largesse from Worthington, Sr., how much was Nazi gold he recovered back in the day with Magnus, and how much was his telepathy allowing him to be the ultimate insider trader...
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #372
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
I don't know, he was running the show, including setting them up with supersonic stealth jets and such, for a long time before he ever met Lilandra. It is true that the Danger Room got a lot more realistic after they laid their hands on Shi'ar tech, though.

Now, how much of that was largesse from Worthington, Sr., how much was Nazi gold he recovered back in the day with Magnus, and how much was his telepathy allowing him to be the ultimate insider trader...
IIRC, Magnus absconded with the entire cache of Nazi gold, so we can rule that out. But, when he was starting out Xavier had ties with Washington (through FBI agent Fred Duncan) and Stark, which certainly helped with the funding.

I admit, though, my reboot!X-Men takes inspiration mainly from the original run of X-Factor, when the original five X-Men regrouped after Grey returned from the dead the first time.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #373
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I admit, though, my reboot!X-Men takes inspiration mainly from the original run of X-Factor, when the original five X-Men regrouped after Grey returned from the dead the first time.
While I love the Original 5, and the idea of them going to school at ESU, all I have to say to that original run of X-Factor is... um, ick. Never mind the essential wrongness of them running around pretending to be mutant hunters for hire (which I guess you wouldn't use since you're deemphasizing the whole anti-mutant prejudice angle), but when they retconned Jean Grey from ever having really been Phoenix during the whole Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne run was when Marvel really jumped the shark for me, personally.

Sorry, though, this digression probably really belongs in Chatter. How about to bring it back to GURPS, I ask what kind of Patron the good Professor is for the gang?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #374
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Sorry, though, this digression probably really belongs in Chatter. How about to bring it back to GURPS, I ask what kind of Patron the good Professor is for the gang?
My favorite runs of X-Factor was after the team ditched the "mutant-hunter" angle. I admit, it was a bad idea on their part.

As for the Professor, I think having him as a Contact rather than a Patron may work for the team in the reboot incarnation. This is especially effective as he would be asking them for assistance as often as they ask him for it (and once I redo Juggernaut, well....)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #375
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
As for the Professor, I think having him as a Contact rather than a Patron may work for the team in the reboot incarnation. This is especially effective as he would be asking them for assistance as often as they ask him for it (and once I redo Juggernaut, well....)
Hmm... Contact seems a little funny. Maybe you could keep him as a Patron and just give him a low FoA or Minimal Intervention?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #376
Phantasm

Hey, there. Thread resurrection in progress. As I've been net.dead the last few months, I've had time to do a number of other characters, mainly Spidey-based villains and supporting cast, as well as redoing my Spider-Man and Hulk builds.

The characters I've done so far are:

Allen, Liz
Avril, Sally
Captain Marvel
Clea
Hammerhead
Molten Man
Mysterio
Osborn, Harry
Parker, May
Rhino
Robertson, Joe
Sandman
Scorpion
Shocker
Stacy, Captain George
Stacy, Gwen
Thompson, Flash
Tinkerer
Vulture
Watson, Mary Jane

So there'll be some massive posting the next few days. I'll be nice and limit things to two or three characters a day, to enable people to comment on them without being overwhelmed.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #377
Phantasm

ALLEN, LIZ

Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Identity: Liz Allen does not use a dual identity.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: New York City.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Mark Raxton (alias Molten Man, stepbrother).
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: Liz Allen is a young woman attending Empire State University. Liz is on the school's cheerleading squad, and is enamored with Flash Thompson, who is one of the school's star athletes (see Thompson, Flash). She has also found herself involved in several of Spider-Man's escapades, and in fact once held her own against the Rhino, relying on her wits and gymnastic skills to avoid his blows while maneuvering him into a trap Spider-Man was laying (see Rhino; Spider-Man).

Of all of her friends, who seem to encounter Spider-Man on a regular basis, Liz has perhaps the most personal experience dealing with the superhuman: her stepbrother, Mark Raxton, is the criminal Molten Man (see Molten Man).
Height: 5' 7".
Weight: 115 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Blond.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Liz Allen possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Liz Allen is a skilled gymnast and cheerleader.

65 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.5; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Fit [5]; Hard to Subdue 2 [4]; Intuition [15]; Perfect Balance [15].
Disadvantages: Compulsive Carousing (12) [-5]; Honesty (12) [-10]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Enamored of Flash Thompson [-1]; Proud [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+2 [8] – 13*; Area Knowledge (Manhattan) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 10; Breath Control (H) HT-1 [2] – 10; Connoisseur (Music) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 9; Current Affairs/TL8 (Popular Culture) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 10; Dancing (A) DX-1 [1] – 10; Professional Skill (Cheerleading) (A) DX+1 [4] – 12; Skating (H) HT-2 [1] – 9.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (A) def+6 [6] – 13.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth)

* Includes +1 from Perfect Balance.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #378
Phantasm

AVRIL, SALLY

Occupation: College student pursuing a liberal arts degree, part-time freelance photographer
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Identity: Sally Avril does not use a dual identity.
Place of Birth: New York City.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: Sally Avril is a young woman who is attending Empire State University, and is occasionally part of the circle of friends that includes Peter Parker (see Spider-Man). She is often critical about the photos that Peter sells to the Daily Bugle, and has begun a friendly professional rivalry with him. She has noticed that Peter tends to focus almost exclusively on Spider-Man, so she has begun to follow the other superhumans in New York with her camera. So far, she has sold photos of the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Thor, and Captain America in action to the Bugle (see Captain America; Fantastic Four; Thor; X-Men).

She recognizes that there is real danger in her work, but so far this has not deterred her from it. Recently, she has begun to entertain ideas of becoming a costumed hero herself.
Height: 5' 7".
Weight: 116 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Uniform: None.
Strength Level: Sally Avril possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Sally is a skilled photographer and gymnast.

76 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 10 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 6 [5]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 9.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: Fearlessness 2 [4]; Fit [5]; Flexibility [5]; Single-Minded [5].
Disadvantages: Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Overconfidence (15) [-2]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Stubbornness [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Alcohol Intolerance [-1]; Believes She is a Better Photographer Than Peter Parker [-1]; Horrible Hangovers [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX-1 [2] – 11; Carousing (E) HT+1 [2] – 12; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 12; Photography/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Running (H) HT+0 [2] – 11; Shadowing (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 12.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth)

Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #379
Phantasm

CAPTAIN MARVEL

Legal Status: Citizen of the Kree Empire, wanted by the Kree military for charges of treason.
Identity: Known to the Kree authorities; the general populace of Earth do not know of his alien origins.
Place of Birth: The planet Hala, Pama system, Kree Empire.
Known Relatives: Phyla-Vell (alias Quasar, sister).
Group Affiliation: Formerly the Kree Imperial Army.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Mar-Vell is one of the so-called "white Kree", a sub-race of the alien Kree with skin tones close to those of Caucasian humans (see Kree). Mar-Vell was a soldier in the Kree Imperial Army who rose through the ranks to attain the rank of captain. He fought in many engagements against the Kree's longtime enemies, the Skrulls, earning numerous commendations from the Kree High Command; most of these exploits have as yet been undocumented (see Skrulls).

Recently, however, Mar-Vell was chosen to act as a spy for the Kree on Earth, due to the white Kree's resemblance to the human natives of the planet. He was under the direct command of Colonel Yon-Rogg, a blue Kree who supervised the mission from a ship which stayed cloaked in orbit. Mar-Vell's love, Una, was also stationed on board the ship as the medical officer (see Una; Yon-Rogg). To aid in his duties as a spy, Mar-Vell was granted superhuman abilities through retroviral genetic manipulation and nanotech implants.

On Earth, he was given the cover identity of Dr. Phillip Lawson, an astrophysicist working at the NASA launch site Cape Canaveral in Florida. (Fortunately, his own training in the Kree military enabled him to perform the calculations needed for his cover identity's job.) While there he found himself falling into the role of "super-hero", becoming known to the press as Captain Marvel. During this time he ended up working closely with Carol Danvers, a test pilot and astronaut he came to care for, confiding in her his alien origins, though not his real mission as a spy nor his cover identity (see Danvers, Carol).

During his time on Earth, Mar-Vell came to identify with the humans, and circumvented orders from Yon-Rogg which would have placed humans in danger. After Yon-Rogg caught him disobeying a direct order which would have resulted in the deaths of hundreds of people, Mar-Vell was arrested and returned to Hala for a court-martial. Una accompanied him, and was instrumental in assisting Mar-Vell in escaping from captivity upon learning he'd already been convicted in absentia, against the Kree Code of Military Justice. However, they were unable to bring Yon-Rogg's own treachery to the higher-ups in the Kree Imperial Army. He and Una are currently traveling the galaxy as fugitives, trying to stay one step ahead of Yon-Rogg's forces.

It has recently come to light that Mar-Vell is being manipulated by members of the Kree Empire's ruling elite, although Mar-Vell himself is unaware of these manipulations.
Height: 6' 2".
Weight: 210 lbs.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Blond.
Uniform: Red and blue bodysuit with a gold star insignia, blue half-mask, blue gloves, blue boots. This uniform was given to him when he was given his powers.
Strength Level: Captain Marvel possesses superhuman strength enabling him to lift (press) 10 tons under optimal conditions. Originally, he possessed the normal Kree strength, which is about twice that of a normal human.
Known Superhuman Powers: In addition to his superhuman strength, as noted above, Captain Marvel possesses the ability to fly at great speeds unaided through space. He is presently only able to travel at Mach 2 (1,440 mph) in atmosphere, or Mach 13 (around 10,000 mph) in space. When flying in an atmosphere, he commonly slows to just under the speed of sound (around 700 mph).

Mar-Vell also possesses the ability to project beams of energy from his hands. He is able to modulate these beams for various effects, from lasers to concussive force.
Other Abilities: Mar-Vell is a skilled pilot and astrogator, and is an accomplished soldier trained in Kree armed and unarmed combat.
Weapons: At present, Captain Marvel does not use any weaponry. When he was an officer in the Kree military, he had access to most standard Kree weaponry.

1,431 points
Attributes:
ST 24/114 [0*]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 2d+1/4d+2 (12d/14d); BL 115/2,599 lbs; HP 24/114 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 18 [0†]; Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Basic Air Move 13 [0]; Basic Space Move 13 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Accented) [4]; Kree (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Kree Empire (Native) [0]; Western [1].
Advantages: 3D Spatial Sense [10]; Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Born Tactician 2 [20]; Burning Attack 7d (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Blockable, -5%; Increased 1/2D Range (×5), +10%; Increased Range (×5), +20%; Variable, +5%; Super, -10%) [60]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Crushing Attack 7d (Blockable, -5%; Increased 1/2D Range (×5), +10%; Increased Range (×5), +20%; Underwater, +20%; Variable, +5%; Super, -10%; Alternative Attack, ×1/5) [10]; Damage Resistance 35 (Hardened 1, +20%; No Signature, +20%; Tough Skin, -40%; Passive Biological, -5%) [167]; Enhanced Move (Air) 6 (Air Move 832/1,664 mph/Mach 2.1) (Super, -10%) [108]; Enhanced Move (Space) 8.5 (Space Move 4,992/9,984 mph/Mach 13.1) (Super, -10%) [153]; Fit [5]; Flight (Space Flight, +50%; Super, -10%) [56]; Hard to Kill 2 [4]; Hard to Subdue 2 [4]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction /10) (Super, -10%) [135]; Rapid Healing [5]; Reputation (Hero) 2 (Frequency: Sometimes, 10 or Less; People Affected: Almost Everyone Except Those From Backwater Worlds or Skrulls) [3]; Super ST +10/+100 (Super, -10%) [390]; Vacuum Support (Super, -10%) [5]; White Kree [62].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]; Enemy (Yon-Rogg; Hunter; Equal in Power) (12) [-20]; Guilt Complex [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10].
Quirks: Attentive [-1]; Broad-Minded [-1];Congenial [-1]; Expression ("Hala's Rings!") [-1]; Responsive [-1].
Skills: Aerobatics (H) DX+1 [2] – 14‡; Beam Weapons/TL11 (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Beam Weapons/TL11 (Rifle) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Boxing (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Computer Operation/TL11 (E) IQ+0 [1] – 12; Connoisseur (Music) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 11; Electronics Operation/TL11 (Sensors) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Explosives/TL11 (Demolition) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Fast-Draw/TL11 (Ammo) (E) DX+1 [1] – 14§; Free Fall (A) DX+1 [1] – 14†; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Intelligence Analysis/TL11 (H) IQ+0 [2] – 13#; Judo (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Karate (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Leadership (A) IQ+2 [2] – 14#; Mathematics/TL11 (Applied) (H) IQ+0 [4] – 12; Navigation/TL11 (Hyperspace) (A) IQ+2 [2] – 14‡; Navigation/TL11 (Space) (A) IQ+2 [2] – 14‡; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 13; Physics/TL11 (VH) IQ+0 [8] – 12; Pilot! (WC) DX+1 [36] – 14; Research/TL11 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Savoir-Faire (Military) (E) IQ+1 [1] – 14#; Soldier/TL11 (A) IQ+0 [1] – 13#; Tactics (H) IQ+1 [4] – 14#; Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4] – 14.
Lenses:
Superhero Phase (+5 points):
Alternate Identity (Legal) [5]; Military Rank 4 [20]; Status 1 [0¥]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10]; Duty (as a Kree Spy) (12) [-10]; Secret (Kree Spy) (Imprisonment) [-20].
-- Starting Spending Money: $8,000 (20% Starting Wealth).
Space Opera Phase (-6 points): Courtesy Military Rank 4 [4]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
-- Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% Starting Wealth).

* Includes +4 from the White Kree racial package, and +10/+100 from Super ST.
† Includes +5 from the White Kree racial package.
‡ Includes +2 from 3D Spatial Sense.
§ Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.
# Includes +2 from Born Tactician.
¥ Includes +1 level from Military Rank.

Role-Playing Notes:
Early on, Mar-Vell is torn between his Duty as a spy and his growing affection for humans, with his superiors' orders often running contrary to his wish to not harm anyone. Later on, after he is branded a traitor, Mar-Vell is much more open about opposing the Kree Army's actions when they affect innocents.

Design Notes:
1. This build, and the High TL trait in the White Kree racial package, assumes a campaign TL of 8, as would be encountered on modern-day Earth. For Mar-Vell after he leaves Earth, the campaign would likely be in a TL 11 setting, reducing his point cost by 15 points and increasing his Starting Wealth in the Space Opera Phase to $7,500.

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-06-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #380
Phantasm

KREE

The Kree are a humanoid race that originated on the planet Hala in the Pama system. Due to their home world's gravity, the average Kree is twice as strong as the average human. They also tend to tire less quickly than human. They have lifespans slightly greater than humans, averaging 100-120 years, due in no small part to past genetic programs.

There are two sub-races of Kree: the original blue-skinned Kree, who are a small but powerful minority in the Empire, and the pink-skinned white Kree, the result of the blue Kree interbreeding with other humanoid races. White Kree can pass for human on Earth with ease. While the blue Kree believe themselves to be the superior, there are no functional differences between them.

The Kree Empire dominates the Greater Magellanic Cloud, the largest satellite galaxy of the Milky Way. Little is known about the origins of the Kree Empire, but while it has achieved a tech level far in advance of Earth, no new technological breakthroughs have occurred for thousands of years. It is known that the Kree have a long-standing rivalry with the Skrull Empire, which began not long after the two races first encountered each other (see Skrulls).

It is Imperial policy that every able-bodied man and woman in their Empire serve at least one tour of duty in the military, due to their conflict with the Skrulls. A white Kree is not considered a "citizen" in the Empire, with the right to vote or run for public office, until after a certain amount of time in the military is over (at least three tours of duty); a blue Kree, on the other hand, is automatically a citizen upon reaching the age of majority (around 25 Earth years).

The Kree have known about Earth for millennia, due to its strategic location between the Kree, Skrull, and Shi'ar Empires (see Shi'ar). It is known that the Kree are responsible for the creation of the Inhuman race, having performed experiments on the human race around 10,000 BC, Earth time; these experiments are also suspected of having produced the Atlanteans about that same time (see Atlanteans; Inhumans).

Recently, due to the increased Skrull presence in Earth's system, the Kree leadership has assigned Mar-Vell, a Captain in the Kree Army, to be one of the spies on Earth (see Captain Marvel). Mar-Vell has recently been recalled to Hala to be placed on trial for charges of treason, but has escaped. There are likely other white Kree on Earth serving as spies as well.

Blue Kree
67 points
Attribute Adjustments: ST +4 [40].
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: FP +5 [15].
Language Adjustments: Kree (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Advantages: High TL +3 [15]; Longevity [2].
Disadvantages: Intolerance (Skrulls) [-5].
Features: Blue skin [0].

White Kree
62 points
Attribute Adjustments:
ST +4 [40].
Secondary Characteristic Adjustments: FP +5 [15].
Language Adjustments: Kree (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Advantages: High TL +3 [15]; Longevity [2].
Disadvantages: Intolerance (Skrulls) [-5]; Social Stigma (Second-Class Citizen) [-5].

Almost forgot I'd written these guys up, having needed to do so for Mar-Vell's entry (above).

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men