Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Magic_Octopus
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Dropped weapons with gadgets

A gadget that you play on a weapon might say "Discard this card when you discard the weapon". What does this mean? When are weapons discarded? Is dropping them the same as discarding?

If you drop two weapons that are linked with Over/Under, and you drop them, is Over/Under discarded?

Thanks in advance for any answers. :)
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Magic_Octopus
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Actually, I might have figured this one out. I would say it is not discarded. HOWEVER, you are not allowed to pick up 2 weapons at the same time, and may only pick up 1. So if you drop 2 weapons that are linked with Over/Under, you may pick up 1 of the weapons and the gadget, but not both weapons.

What do you think?
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
DrFaust
MIB
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Franklin's Tower
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

My thinking has been that when a weapon is dropped, any gadget attached to it evaporate. It makes life easier than dealing with even more cards piled under a given link token.
__________________
Held Action, a blog about gaming, Vermont, and the occasions when they intersect.

Carnage on the Mountain, November 8th-10th, 2013, Killington, VT
DrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire
 
fwcain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
If you drop two weapons that are linked with Over/Under, and you drop them, is Over/Under discarded?
Yes.

Per the rules, whenever you are fragged, all of your Weapons and Gadgets in play are discarded, and the Weapons (only) are considered dropped. The Gadgets go into their discard pile.
__________________
Franklin W. Cain
Evil Game Master For Hire -- Have Dice, Will Travel
SJG MIB # 9808; Net.Rep.: Chez G* and Frag
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Magic_Octopus
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

The reason I asked was because one player dropped the linked weapons because he was out of ammo. The question is, if he (or someone else) comes and picks them up, are the weapons linked?
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire
 
fwcain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
The reason I asked was because one player dropped the linked weapons because he was out of ammo. The question is, if he (or someone else) comes and picks them up, are the weapons linked?
No.

You did not drop a linked "weapon"; you dropped two Weapon cards (and a Gadget card, but that one went into the discard pile). ;-)
__________________
Franklin W. Cain
Evil Game Master For Hire -- Have Dice, Will Travel
SJG MIB # 9808; Net.Rep.: Chez G* and Frag
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
kimba
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sammamish Washington
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
No.

You did not drop a linked "weapon"; you dropped two Weapon cards (and a Gadget card, but that one went into the discard pile). ;-)
I disagree. the over/under card makes them one gun. If Fragged the Over/under goes away, but the card stays on the weapon untill its owner (whoever that is) is fragged.

THe over/under card effectivly makes two weapons, one. A dropped weapon is not the equivalent of getting Fragged. The card Stays.

Kimba Agent 0709
kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Ghostrunner
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba View Post
I disagree. the over/under card makes them one gun. If Fragged the Over/under goes away, but the card stays on the weapon untill its owner (whoever that is) is fragged.

THe over/under card effectivly makes two weapons, one. A dropped weapon is not the equivalent of getting Fragged. The card Stays.

Kimba Agent 0709
Uh, if you want to houserule it that way, fine.

But the rules are pretty clear that you don't drop gear cards.

If you drop 2 weapons with Over/Under, over/under is just gone, and you have two guns laying in a pile.
Ghostrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
kimba
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sammamish Washington
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrunner View Post
Uh, if you want to houserule it that way, fine.

But the rules are pretty clear that you don't drop gear cards.

If you drop 2 weapons with Over/Under, over/under is just gone, and you have two guns laying in a pile.
the rules say if you are fragged they go away. never does it say anything about a dropped weapon. We actually had this come up at PAX. once an over under is used it is part of the weapon. it is the weapon. it does not go away unless the person carrying that weapon if fragged. and only then. I challenged the rules lawer to find it in the rulebook. result? an apology as there is no such rule.
kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Dropped weapons with gadgets

Franklin is the Frag netrep, so one would expect him to be right, and he is. A dropped weapon card goes onto the playing field. A dropped gadget card is discarded. You should never have a Gadget or Special card underneath one of the numbered markers.

The Over/Under question is even specifically addressed in the Frag FAQ -- you discard Over/Under and the two weapons are now unlinked.

Whatever rules lawyer you harassed must have never read the FAQ. One of the things I try to do when running games as a MIB is to bring a printout of the FAQ with me -- I find it useful for situations like the ones mentioned here.
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
frag

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.