Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
varradami

Default Re: Wizard Charm: timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
It has been made clear in several recent threads that simply stating you are going to perform an action does not mean the action has started. The action begins when the card hits the table (or the discard pile).
My understanding is either way is valid. Some groups prefer one way, some groups prefer the other. My group has always gone by the action being stated, and we've never had a problem - though we're not very competitive.
varradami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
Nixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by varradami View Post
My understanding is either way is valid. Some groups prefer one way, some groups prefer the other. My group has always gone by the action being stated, and we've never had a problem - though we're not very competitive.
The whole point of the action being reliant on the event happening is to follow the rules. Sure, I guess it's consistent as long as you all play it that way. But then all someone has to do is be a thief and say they are going to steal, then look around for something to steal, take forever and then change their mind after they realize there is nothing worth stealing, then you might have to say they would be forced to steal.

If it's an action dependent situation, such as discarding or rolling, it's best to keep it as the action is the event, not claiming.

Besides, when I play, I say "I guess I have to run away", which is not a declaration of running away either, and if I changed it up to say "I guess I'd just have to run away then" is not either.
Nixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
varradami

Nixel, I won't say that your points are without merit, but in my experience - playing more or less weekly with a variety of friends - these have not become concerns. Other people's experience may, of course, vary, and that is why I suggest the game may be played either way.

The primary advantage (that I see) to starting the action when the card hits the table is it is less ambiguous, which could avoid an argument. That may be a very significant advantage in tournament play or among competitive groups, my friends have never had an issue.

If someone said, "I'm going to steal something", we would wait for them to decide what they want to steal. If they realize there's nothing they want, then they just say "nevermind" and we continue. If someone is slowing down the game we just yell to "GET ON WITH IT" (thank you Monty Python). Again, hasn't been a problem with my group.
varradami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I wouldn't take "I want to steal something, let me look around" as any sort of binding declaration. "I am trying to steal your Boots of Butt-Kicking," OTOH, would be specific.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules