Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
ThaDium

Default New GM with Super Powers Questions

Hi. This is my first post to these boards, so apologies in advance if I mess something up. I've been running D&D games for over ten years, and I played in a GURPS WWII Supers game for about two years. Now, I'm the one on the hot seat to run a new game. They want classic supers. So, I have a huge amount of the system to learn.

Here are my questions, they're power specific... for now. :^)

1) I want an NPC with pretty much line of sight teleportation of objects. Basically pick pocket at range. If he knows you have it and where it is on your person, he can snag it from you.

2) I have a PC looking to the steal powers of other supers. He takes your super strength for a bit; he's super strong, you're not.

What would the builds for these be?

Thanks,
ThaDium
ThaDium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
ThaDium

Default Re: New GM with Super Powers Questions

I just put this in the wrong spot. Sorry can it be moved to GURPS?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDium View Post
Hi. This is my first post to these boards, so apologies in advance if I mess something up. I've been running D&D games for over ten years, and I played in a GURPS WWII Supers game for about two years. Now, I'm the one on the hot seat to run a new game. They want classic supers. So, I have a huge amount of the system to learn.

Here are my questions, they're power specific... for now. :^)

1) I want an NPC with pretty much line of sight teleportation of objects. Basically pick pocket at range. If he knows you have it and where it is on your person, he can snag it from you.

2) I have a PC looking to the steal powers of other supers. He takes your super strength for a bit; he's super strong, you're not.

What would the builds for these be?

Thanks,
ThaDium
1) See the Advantage "Snatcher" B. 86, restrict it's use to targets you can see. (you're effectively pulling a copy of it from another dimension.) Add the Nuissance Effect limitation of 'causes targeted item to be misplaced'. Now Snatcher EXPLICITLY states that it does not take an object from this dimension and specifically that you cannot use this power as an interrupt to take an object away from a foe. So, those attempts will negate the Nuissance Effect if you try it.

ie if you 'take' the gun in Dr. Sidewinder's hand, you get your own gun, he keeps his.

If interrupts are your goal, i might sugest linking the snatcher with Neutralize (mundane objects) with 'disappears from target's possession) as the special effect. ;)

2) I'm pretty sure that's covered in Powers.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Captain-Captain

Just out of curiousity, have you decided on what point range and power limits you want to put on your campaigh?

I also recommend this thread to you: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=11278 Plenty of character designs you may want to look at.

And there is the 50 pt Abilities pdf which could prove quite useful to you as well.

http://www.geocities.com/atreyu_hibi...Advantages.pdf
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
David Johnston2

1) The first thing to remember is that with NPCs you don't have to actually design the powers. Just say how it works. Faster than writing down Warp, Ranged, Reliable, or whatever.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 07-02-2009 at 01:56 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
The ability to teleport yourself is Warp. But the ability to teleport someone else is Affliction (Warp). Basically, you temporarily grant the target the power to teleport, and make it do so. For what you want, you likely want it to be able to teleport only to *you*, which I think is defined in GURPS Powers; and you probably want it to be limited to teleporting objects up to your carrying capacity without the person carrying them coming along, which is discussed in GURPS Supers. In fact I covered a whole variety of teleportation variants in GURPS Supers.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
Gurps Fan

Quote:
I borrowed ideas from Psionic Powers (great book, just buy), specifically Exoteleport.
Ranged Pickpocket
50 points

You can teleport the subject to you. The subject (may be living or unliving) must weigh no more than 20 lbs. You must be able to see the subject or know exactly where it is.

To use this ability, take a 1-turn Concentrare maneuver and roll against your IQ at the distance penalty (p. B98). The "distance" to determine the penalty is the sum of the distance from you to the subject and the distance you want to teleport the subject, i.e., 2 times the distance between you and the subject.

If successful, the subject resists with HT at a penalty equal to your margin of success. Failure means you have it (or him/her). If the subject is a living being, he must make a successful Body Sense roll to avoid disorientation (see p. B181).

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Modified Warp, +250%; Based On IQ, Own Roll, +20%; Malediction 2, +150%; Nuisance Effect, Cannot concentrate for more or less than 1 second, -10%; Nuisance Effect, Cannot spend FP to offset penalties, -10%) [50]. Feature: Uses one roll with combined Teleportation distance penalties instead of two rolls with separate penalties. Advantage is Warp (Anchored, The afflicter himself, -50%; Exoteleport, -50%; Reliable 5, +25%) [25].
However, this is only a mental exercise; note that you don't have to tweak advantages and worry about point cost as long as it's an NPC's ability, as David Johnston2 already pointed out.

Quote:
If he can steal strength only, Affliction (ST penalty) + ST (Accessibility, Only during Affliction's duration) is the way to go. If he can steal any super abilities from a foe, that's Neutralize with Power Theft enhancement (p. B71; Powers, p. 97).
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
ThaDium

Thanks, everyone! As to the power stealing, I mean it to be powers in general, not just strength. That was just an example.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Thanks, everyone! As to the power stealing, I mean it to be powers in general, not just strength. That was just an example.
As GURPS Fan said, Neutralize with Power Stealing (+200%) and Cosmic (Any source; +300%) would be the way to go. This would allow the character to steal all of his opponent's abilities which have a power modifier for a temporary period. Note that it doesn't effect "wild" advantages (which lack a power modifier).
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I borrowed ideas from Psionic Powers (great book, just buy), specifically Exoteleport.
[INDENT]Ranged Pickpocket
50 points

You can teleport the subject to you. The subject (may be living or unliving) must weigh no more than 20 lbs. You must be able to see the subject or know exactly where it is.

To use this ability, take a 1-turn Concentrare maneuver and roll against your IQ at the distance penalty (p. B98). The "distance" to determine the penalty is the sum of the distance from you to the subject and the distance you want to teleport the subject, i.e., 2 times the distance between you and the subject.

If successful, the subject resists with HT at a penalty equal to your margin of success. Failure means you have it (or him/her). If the subject is a living being, he must make a successful Body Sense roll to avoid disorientation (see p. B181).

[COLOR="DimGray"]Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Modified Warp, +250%; Based On IQ, Own Roll, +20%; Malediction 2, +150%; Nuisance Effect, Cannot concentrate for more or less than 1 second, -10%; Nuisance Effect, Cannot spend FP to offset penalties, -10%) [50]. Feature: Uses one roll with combined Teleportation distance penalties instead of two rolls with separate penalties. Advantage is Warp (Anchored, The afflicter himself, -50%; Exoteleport, -50%; Reliable 5, +25%) [25].
Hm... What is the function of Malediction in this build?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers