Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Qstor

Default GURPS Traveller

A few years ago...I think two? I asked Sean Punch at GenCon if any new books/pdfs were coming out. He said things were in the works. I made a comment like SJG games were "sitting on the license"

You'd figure there were writers wanting to come up with something apart from the JTAS article? Has GT gone the way of T20?

I'm a big fan of SJG and GT. I love the new Munchkin stuff. I just *want* to see more products for a line I love. I remember getting the main GT book, now over ten years ago and I was very thrilled to have it in my hands. I *wish* that something new for GT could be done soon.

Mike
Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
pyratejohn

Default Re: GURPS Traveller

As in... GURPS 4e Traveller Third Imperium? Hey, SJG could take advantage of the mini Traveller renaissance brought on by MGT.

(I like MGT, but man... Mongoose has real quality control issues. And their Scouts book missed the mark, imho.)
Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
ClayDowling

I believe it's been discussed that there are licensing issues with releasing new products. LKW chipped in a while back about the matter.
ClayDowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Easterner9504

No license problem per Steve Jackson. I do recall LKW stating a problem exists with using DGP material from license.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=steve+jackson

I agree we're starved of material.

Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.
Easterner9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Ommadawn

I realise you actually need someone to write something for GURPS Traveller to release it, but I would love to see more support for Traveller in 4e as well.
Ommadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Jeffr0

Aldebaran

sector book

please
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
pyratejohn

Fluff?
Crunch?
Fluff?
Crunch?

Ok, as much as I like Traveller fluff, I'd really like to see GT Crunch. Of course, I really want to see Traveller, Powered by GURPS, using the metric system, with Traveller nomenclature for starports and tech levels, and since I'm wishin', square grids for use with 15mm minis.
8^)
Old 04-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Malenfant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0
Aldebaran

sector book

please
Seconded. I've been wanting to see that for ages, ever since JFZ first started talking about it.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Whome?

I honestly believe that Gurps Traveller has run its course - like MegaTraveller, etc. before it. TNE and T4 lasted 2-3 years each and GT was THE version of Traveller for 8 years - an amazing feat.

This is worth repeating:

"Hmmmm...................

There is no nice way to put this really.......

Gurps Traveller was THE version in print from 1998 thru 2006. Great game period. However, nothing published for the game in three years!

Mongoose Traveller - which is an updated version of Classic Traveller has had many, many releases in the last three years - and they are quite good too.

I'll play Gurps Traveller myself because I'm a GURPS kinda guy. However, Mongoose Traveller is a class act and has excellent support - a very good edition of the game by any standard.

To me, the rule is:

If you are a GURPS player and fan - play GURPS Traveller.

If you are a true Traveller fan - play Mongoose Traveller.

P.S. GTIW is indeed a fabulous Traveller book - Gurps Traveller went out with a bang!

I myself use a similar system to Traveller TLs - but 1 - 24 with TL-15 being
high Imperial. I've been running GURPS Traveller for 11 years now and really like it - with some house rules however.

First of all, its GURPS and it does what it was created to do: ALLOW you to play GURPS in the Traveller Universe.

Currently, Gurps Traveller books are $4.95 and up in paper and $2.95 and up as a .pdf.

All Gurps Traveller books and adventures (and there are some really good ones like "Nobles") can be used with any other Traveller rules set.

Classic Traveller is really good, I played it for 10 years and it is a clean and simple set of rules. Cheap too - I've seen books 1-3 in reprint for $12.95 before.

Mongoose Traveller is an updated set of Classic Traveller rules that allow you to play the classic game - but updated for more detailed role-playing.

Between Classic Traveller and GURPS I played the GDW House System that included TNE.

The main advantage to GHS and GURPS is I could play other RPG's like Dark Conspiracy or Gurps WW2 with the same basic rules.

There is really no bad choices here - and you can mix and match too, buying modules from various versions of Traveller as you perfer."

So - I don't expect to see anymore GT material myself.

I've said this before:

1) I really like Mongoose Traveller, it has sold very well and has lots of additional material to make the game easy and fun to play.

2) I asked a group of Traveller players which rules they liked the best for playing Traveller and they said Mongoose Traveller.

3) Like any good set of rules, Mongoose Traveller is supposed to have a 10 year run before something new comes along - plenty of time to get your money's worth from this fabulous product.

4) Finally, I actually like the inclusion of Babylon 5 and other backgrounds for use with Traveller. Its about time this happened.

I myself am big on GURPS and I am converting my GURPS Traveller game into a GURPS Traveller: Star Wars game - combining Star Wars with the GT printed material.

Last edited by Whome?; 05-12-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Malenfant

I think the problem (if it can be called that) is that most of the "core" of Traveller has been done by GT. We've got books covering military campaigns (Star Mercs/Ground Forces), trading (Far Trader/Starports), scouts/exploration/worldbuilding (Scouts), and nobility (Nobles). We've got the two major sectors covered (Marches and the Rim),we've got all the major races and a lot of minor races covered too (AR books, and Humaniti). And it's all been pretty darn great.

What else is there, really? As far as I can see, all there is are more Sector books, and starship books (and we already have one dedicated book for that already), but those don't have to be GT-specific.

What I miss is the quality of the material. Sure, anyone could write a sector book or a starship book or a system book, but IMO the SJG Traveller books were much better written and more thought-out and better considered and researched than any Traveller books published for any version since then (including the MGT books). A lot of that is down to the writers (who have all been great for GT), it's also partly due to the playtest and editing process, and partly due to SJG's high standards too.

Maybe GT is a done deal, but I think there's enough material there for as complete a version of Traveller as we'll ever get. I would love to see more Sector books written to SJG's standards, but I'm resigned to the fact that we probably won't.

Last edited by Malenfant; 04-27-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote