Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #281
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Isn't stunning on top of seizure a bit useless? I wouldn't require variable with Costs Fatigue (since that makes it variable already), and IIRC requiring ER instead of Fatigue is worth an addition -5%.

Surge is a bit useless on Afflictions as Powers defines it since you have to do HT/3 damage.

I would add a side effect of either Stunning or Seizure and remove the Electrical Stun Bolts.
Stunning and Seizure: Yeah, and technically illegal, anyway.
Variable: That is the RAW requirement for combining CF and Variable, as per Powers p101.
ER: Yeah. If the intention is that the attacks are ONLY fueled by the ER, they should be getting the extra discount.
Surge/Afflictions: *nods* To get the Surge effect, you should either Link an IA, or just rewrite the attack as an IA.
Stun Bolts: It seems like he wants a separate non-lethal attack. You might save some points [and make the cs a bit easier to read] by combining some of these AAs and adding Selectivity.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #282
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

I've been working on revising Doc Ock and Electro to better fit the criticisms. Thanks for the input, everyone!

In the meantime, I found this entry in my notes that I realize I haven't posted yet.

FURY, NICK

Identity: Nick Fury uses no dual identity.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Other Aliases:
Place of Birth: Hell's Kitchen, New York City, New York.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Jacob (alias Scorpio, brother), Dawn (sister).
Group Affiliation: United States Central Intelligence Agency, formerly United States Marine Corps.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Nicholas Fury grew up in the district of of New York City commonly known as Hell's Kitchen. To escape the Kitchen, he enlisted right out of high school in the United States Marines. He distinguished himself in multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, quickly rising to the rank of Sergeant and being placed in command of a squad that, because of their high success rate against overwhelming odds, became known as the Howling Commandos.

As the leader of the Howling Commandos, Fury came to the attention of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, who recruited him into their ranks. As a CIA agent, Fury has become known as "the American James Bond," rooting out subversives across the globe. His most persistent enemy has been his younger brother Jake, who took the name Scorpio as a leader in the subversive cartel Zodiac (see Scorpio).

Recently, Fury was responsible for coordinating the National Guard and superhuman response when the Zodiac attempted to hold Manhattan hostage using a force field powered by Scorpio's Zodiac Key., mobilizing the city's superhuman crimefighters and adventurers – as well as several of the nobler super-criminals – in their efforts to stop the Zodiac.
Height: 6'
Weight: 195 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Brown.
Other Distinguishing Features: Fury wears an patch over his left eye to hide scarring.
Uniform: None; in the past, he has worn the standard United States Marines uniform.
Strength Level: Nick Fury possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None.
Other Abilities: Fury is a skilled marksman and hand to hand combatant. He is also well-versed in a number of espionage skills, including, but not limited to, lock picking, surveillance, stealth, and computer operations. He is fluent in Arabic, Russian, and Mandarin Chinese.
Weapons: Fury uses a number of weapons depending on his assignment. His personal sidearm, however, is a Glock 20 chambered for the 10x25mm round with built-in laser targeting. He normally uses dual-purpose APHP (armor-piercing hollow-point) ammunition, a hollow point round with a tungsten core for penetrating armor. (Against "soft" targets like unarmored people, the round acts like a standard hollow point, while against armored "hard" targets, such as body armor or vehicular plating, the round acts like an armor-piercing round.)
Limitations: Fury has lost his vision in his left eye due to shrapnel while stationed in Iraq.

744 points
Attributes:
ST 14 [40]; DX 14 [80]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d; BL 39 lbs; HP 14 [0]; Will 14 [5]; Per 14 [5]; FP 14 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Dodge 13.
Languages: Arabic (Accented) [4]; English (Native) (Native Language) [0]; Mandarin Chinese (Accented) [0]; Russian (Accented) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Central Asian [1]; Middle Eastern [1]; Western (Native) [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Handsome) [12]; Born Tactician 2 [20]; Charisma 3 [15]; CIA Rank 4 [20]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Danger Sense [15]; Daredevil [15]; Enhanced Dodge 2 [30]; Gizmo 3 [15]; Gunslinger [25]; Hard to Kill 2 [4]; Hard to Subdue 2 [4]; High Manual Dexterity 1 [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Legal Enforcement Powers 3 [15]; Resistant to Poisons (Common) (+3 to roll) [5]; Security Clearance (CIA) ("Need to Know" access to a broad range of secrets) [10]; Smooth Operator 2 [30]; Social Chameleon [5]; Very Fit [15]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Perks: Courtesy Military Rank 2 [2]; Pants-Positive Safety [1]; Style Familiarity (Military Hand to Hand: MCMAP) [1].
Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]; Duty (CIA) (15) [-15]; Lecherousness (12) [-15]; One Eye [-15]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Sense of Duty (People of the United States) (Large Group) [-10].
Quirks: Admires Professionalism [-1]; Always Treats Members of the Opposite Sex With Courtesy [-1]; Has Memorized the Statistics for Most 20th/21st Century Guns [-1]; Keeps a Collection of "War Trophies" [-1]; Smiles When Angry or Annoyed [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+0 [4] – 14; Acting (A) IQ+2 [2] – 15*; Body Language (Human) (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Brawling (E) DX+2 [8] – 16†; Camouflage (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Carousing (E) HT+3 [2] – 17‡; Climbing (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Connoisseur (Music) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Criminology/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Detect Lies (H) Per+1 [2] – 15‡; Driving/TL8 (Automobile) (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Driving/TL8 (Halftrack) (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Driving/TL8 (Heavy Wheeled) (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle) (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Driving/TL8 (Tracked) (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Expert Skill (Computer Security) (H) IQ+1 [8] – 14; Explosives/TL8 (Demolition) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Explosives/TL8 (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Explosives/TL8 (Underwater Demolition) (A) IQ+1 [3] – 14§; Fast-Draw/TL8 (Ammo) (E) DX+1 [1] – 15#; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+3 [2] – 15‡; Filch (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2] – 15; Gambling (A) IQ-1 [1] – 12; Gun! (WC) DX+2 [48] – 16; Hidden Lore (Conspiracies) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Hiking (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Holdout (A) IQ+3 [12] – 16; Intelligence Analysis/TL8 (H) IQ+1 [2] – 14#; Interrogation (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Intimidation (A) Will+2 [2] – 16‡; Judo (H) DX+2 [16] – 16†; Jumping (E) DX+1 [2] – 15; Knife (E) DX+0 [2] – 14†; Leadership (A) IQ+7 [2] – 20*‡¥; Lifting (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Lip Reading (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 12; Mimicry (Speech) (H) IQ-1 [2] – 12; NBC Suit/TL8 (A) DX+0 [2] – 14; Observation (A) Per+2 [8] – 16; Parachuting/TL8 (E) DX+2 [4] – 16; Photography/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+3 [2] – 16‡; Savoir-Faire (Military) (E) IQ+5 [2] – 18‡¥; Scuba/TL8 (A) IQ+3 [8] – 15; Search (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Sex Appeal (Human) (A) HT+5 [1] – 19‡∫; Shadowing (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Smuggling (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Soldier/TL8 IQ+3 [4] – 16#; Spear (A) DX-1 [2] – 13†; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 15; Strategy (Land) (H) IQ+1 [2] – 14#; Streetwise (A) IQ+2 [2] – 15‡; Survival (Desert) (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Swimming (E) HT+1 [2] – 15; Tactics (H) IQ+3 [4] – 15#; Thrown Weapon (Knife) (E) DX+1 [2] – 15; Traps/TL8 (A) IQ+3 [8] – 15; Urban Survival (A) Per+0 [2] – 14; Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4] – 14†.
Techniques: Impersonate (Mimicry (Speech)) (A) def+3 [3] – 12; Rope Up (Climbing) (A) def+2 [2] – 14; Scaling (Climbing) (H) def+3 [4] – 14; Set Trap (Explosives (Demolition)) (H) def+2 [3] – 14; Work by Touch (Lockpicking) (H) def+5 [6] – 13.
Starting Spending Money: $6,950 (20% of Starting Wealth, minus cost of pistol, below).

* Includes +2 from Charisma
† Includes -1 from One Eye
‡ Includes +2 from Smooth Operator
§ Defaulted from Explosives/TL8 (Demolition)
# Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes
¥ Includes +2 from Born Tactician
∫ Includes +4 from Appearance

Design Notes:
1. CIA Rank is derived from Social Engineering: Pulling Rank, based off using the CIA as a 20-point Patron with an assistance roll of 9 or less. It does not affect his Status.

EDIT: Updated his skills, advantages, and disads, as well as increasing his bio by a paragraph.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #283
lord hav0k

Default Re: [Supers] Iron man

how did you calculate the bonus lifting strength and striking strength for iron mans armor as signature gear? i don't see any method that comes out with adding str to power armor for a $cost.

I ask because I am trying to make a significantly reduced version of Iron mans armor with 0 offensive capability as signature gear for a game.
lord hav0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #284
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] Iron man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord hav0k
how did you calculate the bonus lifting strength and striking strength for iron mans armor as signature gear? i don't see any method that comes out with adding str to power armor for a $cost.

I ask because I am trying to make a significantly reduced version of Iron mans armor with 0 offensive capability as signature gear for a game.
This was asked earlier; the answer is that I didn't calculate the price based on the suit's point value or its granted abilities (come to think of it, I never developed a point value for it). What I did was take the TL 10 Battlesuit from Characters, doubled the price due to it being a "modified" suit, and then doubled it again a few times for the TL difference, and used that as the price for the SigGear.

Clear as mud?

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #285
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
In the meantime, I found this entry in my notes that I realize I haven't posted yet.

Fury, Nick

710 points
Attributes: ST 14 [40]; DX 14 [80]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 14 [40].
A very complete write-up. The point total seems a bit inflated to me, but I can't put my finger on just what looks like the culprit. DX and IQ might be a bit high, but I can live with interpretive differences like that. Maybe it's the skill set... it makes him appear more competent than I would picture him being *shrug*

Speaking of entries you haven't posted, don't you owe us some more Asgardian entries? Especially Sif?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #286
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
A very complete write-up. The point total seems a bit inflated to me, but I can't put my finger on just what looks like the culprit. DX and IQ might be a bit high, but I can live with interpretive differences like that. Maybe it's the skill set... it makes him appear more competent than I would picture him being *shrug*
Reboot Fury is a soldier-turned-James-Bond-style-secret-agent, so I admit I boosted his competancy in social areas beyond what past depictions have shown him as.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Speaking of entries you haven't posted, don't you owe us some more Asgardian entries? Especially Sif?
I'm working on her! Right now, in my queue of unfinished profiles, I have Green Goblin, Scarlet Witch, Sif, and Loki. That's not including modifying the write-ups for Magneto, Doc Ock, and Electro I've yet to do.

If you must know, I have Sif's, Scarlet Witch's, and Loki's bios written up, and I'm slogging through the charsheets themselves. If you like, I can post what I have.

Besides, this is a side project. Things get done when they get done. ;)

Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #287
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
If you must know, I have Sif's, Scarlet Witch's, and Loki's bios written up, and I'm slogging through the charsheets themselves. If you like, I can post what I have.

Besides, this is a side project. Things get done when they get done. ;)
No hurries, mate :) I had gotten the impression that hers was done, that's all. 's better to see the whole cs, background and write-up, IMHO.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #288
Phantasm

Actually, there is one bio I want to post because I'm uncertain how to properly work the powerset, and I'd like some ideas. This character diverges the most from past depictions in both personality and powerset, but I feel it makes more sense than an ill-defined "I win" power.

Scarlet Witch

Identity: Secret.
Legal Status: Unknown.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Pietro (alias Quicksilver, brother).
Group Affiliation: Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Not much is known about the origins of the Scarlet Witch before her first appearance. She and her twin brother Pietro claim to be gypsies, although there are hints that they were adopted rather than born into the culture (see Quicksilver).

It is not currently known how the two came to the attention of the mutant criminal Magneto, but the self-proclaimed Master of Magnetism was quick to induct them into his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (see Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Magneto). Wanda in particular was easily swayed by Magneto's personal charm and force of personality; Pietro has admitted that he only accepted Magneto's offer to protect his sister. Wanda was apparently already calling herself the Scarlet Witch before joining the group. In their first appearance with the group, the Scarlet Witch and the rest of the Brotherhood faced off against the X-Men; although they were defeated, they managed to escape (see X-Men).

Wanda has changed since joining the Brotherhood. She is far more confident since joining, but has also become colder towards others, including her brother. During a brief time when Magneto was separated from the group, Wanda took charge and led the Brotherhood with the same heavy hand that Magneto did. After he was reunited with the team, Magneto made her his official second-in-command. These developments have adversely affected her relationship with her brother; both Wanda and Magneto believe it is only a matter of time before Pietro betrays them.
Height: 5' 4".
Weight: 110 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Red.
Uniform: Black sleeveless Spandex bodysuit, red shoulder-less low-neck dress with leg slits up to the waist and loose elbow-length sleeves, black elbow-length Spandex gloves, red sash around the waist, red calf-high boots with mystic patterns on the front and four-inch heels, black headband.
Strength Level: The Scarlet Witch possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in moderate exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Wanda Maximoff is a mutant who was born with the ability to wield ambient magical energies. Most Earth-born sorcerers utilize three main sources of power: innate mental powers, ambient magical energies, and extra-dimensional sources. Wanda is naturally inclined to use ambient energies to the exclusion of the other two.

Wanda knows a number of spells dealing primarily with illusions, transmutation, and probability. She has been shown being able to turn multiple people invisible, create realistic illusions that affect all the senses and which can be captured on film and digital media, and the ability to grant "good luck" to allies and "bad luck" to opponents. She has also been shown casting eldricht bolts of raw magical energy to injure opponents, although these tend to tire her out if she fires off too many of them in a short time frame. In addition to these, she is able to create shields of mystic energy to protect herself from harm.

Wanda also knows several spells which she uses to alter matter. She has shown the ability to turn a solid metal door into gas, turn pavement into mud, and even so far as to briefly turn one of her Brotherhood teammates, the Toad, into his namesake animal as punishment (see Toad).

Wanda's powers are unpredictable, and don't always operate the way she wants them to. Since joining the Brotherhood, however, her powers have become more reliable than before.

So, thoughts for the powerset? So far, I'm picturing Magery with the Mutant, -10%, power modifier and a bunch of standard GURPS Magic spells with varying skill levels (10-14), ignoring prerequisites. I don't yet have a dead-tree copy of Thaumatology (I prefer hardcopy to PDF), but I am open to various methods that are in there, should they fit.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #289
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Personally, I feel that spell magic is a poor fit to supers, since their abilities tend to be quite varied. I would suggest either syntactic magic (like the one in GURPS magic, though thaumatology does expand it a great deal) or realm magic (though you would have to define the realms of the marvel universe, something that would be quite a lot of work)

Do you have a master document/web page with all your conversions? I feel that forums aren't the best platforms for storing information. I would be interested in it.

Now, I feel that a tiddlywiki would be a nice format to store this information...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #290
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Personally, I feel that spell magic is a poor fit to supers, since their abilities tend to be quite varied. I would suggest either syntactic magic (like the one in GURPS magic, though thaumatology does expand it a great deal) or realm magic (though you would have to define the realms of the marvel universe, something that would be quite a lot of work)
PM me the details of Realm Magic? I keep seeing mention to it, but I'm not sure how it works.

So far, for my dedicated spellcasters (Dr. Strange, Ancient One), I've been using Ritual Magic with Solitary Ceremonial Casting. Wanda, however, is a somewhat different flavor of "sorceress" than Strange and co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Do you have a master document/web page with all your conversions? I feel that forums aren't the best platforms for storing information. I would be interested in it.

Now, I feel that a tiddlywiki would be a nice format to store this information...
I have a master document I've been storing these in, a MS Word document. I've been posting things here for feedback, which has helped a lot over the last year or so. I've even managed to either scan or scrounge pictures to accompany the entries.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men