Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Amra

Default Brawling default and other potential brain twisters

(I hope everyone believes in the "there are no stupid questions" philosophy here)

Brawling has no default, therefore if a character has no Brawling skill they can't try to punch/kick someone? I know I must have missed something here, but I can't figure out what.

Help, and is there any other skills that you can attempt without any actual skill in that has "none" listed as a default?

Thanks
Amra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Brawling default and other potential brain twisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra
(I hope everyone believes in the "there are no stupid questions" philosophy here)
Perhaps not, but there are many stupid answers.

Quote:
Brawling has no default, therefore if a character has no Brawling skill they can't try to punch/kick someone? I know I must have missed something here, but I can't figure out what.
Anyone can roll against DX to try to punch a target or DX-2 to kick; no skill needed. The reason Brawling doesn't have a default is that it provides potential bonuses and abilities, which you don't get at all if you don't put points into the skill.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Amra

Turhan's Bey Company,

Thanks for the quick response. So all creatures can attack at a minimum of Dex then, such as animals, if an attack skill isn't listed?

Also, what differentiates skills like Brawl, where you can make a skill attempt at basic stat level with "no default" and other skills; like Breath Control, Karate or Enthrallment, which I presume you can't attempt without some skill level? Is it just common sense?

And a follow-up. The standard default for an Easy skill is Stat-4. Why can Brawling be attempted at full DX instead of DX-4?

Last edited by Amra; 11-15-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Also, what differentiates skills like Brawl, where you can make a skill attempt at basic stat level with "no default" and other skills; like Breath Control, Karate or Enthrallment, which I presume you can't attempt without some skill level? Is it just common sense?
The point here is that you're not attempting Brawling skill when you attack someone at DX. That's no more Brawling than Karate. You're just trying to whack someone without a specific skill. Brawling, like Karate, is a specific body of knowledge about how to whack people. It's rough-and-ready tricks rather than a "scientific" approach, but it's still a body of knowledge about how to go about whacking people for which there is no default.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Think of it this way:

Everybody is familiar with using her natural 'strikers' (includes fists, legs, teeth etc.) at DX+0. Out of them, punches are rolled at +0, kicks at -2, bites at +0 etc.

The first point in Brawling (putting it at DX+0) doesn't improve your chance to hit - yet. However, it gives better parries, allows using some techniques like Knee Strike (which is pretty useful if you know when!), elbow strike etc.

While not too frequent, this question seems to be a reccurring one. I'm tempted to polish the answer and uFAQ or maybe even oFAQ it. What do you think?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Phantasm

Molokh: Considering the number of times I've seen it asked, I'd say that putting it in a FAQ is a good idea.

Of course, we'll still have people asking the question, but that's because people don't always read the FAQs. ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Read, people! If nothing else, then just the FAQs!

"All we want are the facts."
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
Amra

Thanks for the answers folks. My Brawling question has been answered. I'm still not clear on which skills w/o defaults can be attempted and which skills can't. I have linked to the FAQ and will so some reading.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Tai

No skill without a default can be attempted unless you have training in it - the default shows 'passive' training, from things you might've seen on TV or read in a book. An average modern-day person would have a default to Bow skill from maybe seeing it in a movie, but an average medieval Yeoman wouldn't have a default to Driving skill, because they've never seen it happen before.

When you fight without Brawling, you're not rolling against a 'Default' of DX, you're rolling directly against your DX. You're not throwing a clumsy but decent punch, you're swinging wildly at your target anywhich way and hoping you hit them.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The very definition of "this skill has no default" is "nobody can attempt this skill, no matter what his abilities, sans training." Brawling isn't an exception . . . you cannot attempt Brawling unless you know it. You can attempt to punch, kick, or bite a foe without Brawling, though. Brawling isn't "the skill that lets you punch, kick, or bite people"; it's "a skill that improves the effectiveness of your punches, kicks, and bites."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote