Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Anders

Default Biting to grapple

I am currently working on a bestiary for a campaign world, and I am having trouble with my carnivores.

Many hunting cats choke their prey to death - grab the neck with the teeth and squeeze. The choke hold (p.B404) seems ideal. However, the RAW does not allow for this!

Take a lion hunting a gazelle:
In order to "grapple", you must have at least one free hand (p.B370) which is awfully difficult to visualize for a lion. He may then proceed to apply a choke hold, but only if she is behind the gazelle and has grappled the gazelle using both hands.

How would you solve this problem? Some kind of perk that allows grappling with the mouth?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Mehmet
MIB

Default Re: Biting to grapple

IDHMBWM so I can't give you a page reference but Martial Arts deals with this issue in length. It is a fantastic buy, by the way - I'd consider grabbing a copy.

Cheerio!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Anders

Ah, there it is. My fault.

Semi-related question - how do I avoid turning raptors into suicide pilots? In real life, they do power dives with Move up to 100. The problem is... the bird will probably take enough damage to kill it!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Mehmet
MIB

I am not sure I completely understand but is this about slams and weapon involving slams doing the same damage to you?

I'm pretty confused with those rules and the issue has never come up in a "real life going splat" situation (rather than supers, cars and such) so I usually use things like bouncing.

Sorry, I know this is not much of a help.

Cheerio!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Ah, there it is. My fault.

Semi-related question - how do I avoid turning raptors into suicide pilots? In real life, they do power dives with Move up to 100. The problem is... the bird will probably take enough damage to kill it!
Raptors don't Slam their targets. They decelerate and grab with their talons. Call it an All-Out-Attack(Determined), I'd think. The stoop is to keep the prey from escaping not for extra damage (a hawk is perfectly capable of killing a gopher without any tricks). Although I suppose you could make a case for an All-Out-Attack (Stoop) which is a special option only available to Raptor-like birds allowing full diving move followed by an unmodified attack.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Don't forget that falling is considered a Step. So you can use any attack option while falling.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Don't forget that falling is considered a Step. So you can use any attack option while falling.
Stooping is definitely some kind of AoA, the bird is completely focused on the target.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Stooping is definitely some kind of AoA, the bird is completely focused on the target.
Well, if you can fall in a Step, you certainly can do it in an AoA.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Raptors don't Slam their targets. They decelerate and grab with their talons. Call it an All-Out-Attack(Determined), I'd think. The stoop is to keep the prey from escaping not for extra damage (a hawk is perfectly capable of killing a gopher without any tricks). Although I suppose you could make a case for an All-Out-Attack (Stoop) which is a special option only available to Raptor-like birds allowing full diving move followed by an unmodified attack.
Ah, good. I'd probably allow this option for anyone trained in Acrobatics (Aerobatics) - all the raptors have that as an innate skill.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

You got the biting answer (for future readers: see Martial Arts, p. 115).

As for the raptors . . . I'd say that a nonhuman race that has both Flight and the Aerobatics skill as a racial trait can learn a kind of Acrobatic Attack or Flying Attack (Martial Arts, p. 107) as a realistic technique. I'd call it learned, and base it on whatever unarmed skill the race favors.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote