Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
sn0wball

Default Man Without Disadvantages

The recent thread about Pacifism made me wonder about a default GURPS character, that is, someone without any disadvantages. The player enjoys complete freedom in the characters action.

In real life, this would be a frightening, enigmatic figure. He (or she, of course) is not inhibited in his actions in any way. He might just do about everything at any time. He can seem like your best buddy, but literally stab you in the back while still smiling at you. It is impossble to determine his actions. Freud would give up in tears when asked to analyze him. He is not immune to emotions, but he does not have to give in to them. Maybe he will never do any harm to anyone, but if he does, it does not have to be for a particular reason. He will not kill out of passion, because of a psychosis, because of greed or anything like that. And still, he can kill. Once or often. The only thing which keeps him at bay are probably the consequences of his deeds.

Now that I think about it, maybe such characters have been desribed, but not explained, by 20th century literature. There is (although rather harmless) Robert Musils Man Without Qualities, who inspired me to the threads title, Albert Camus´ Stranger (who is probably the archetype - literay scholars still debate over why he killed an arab) or, in my opinion, Rudolf Lang, protagonist of Death Is My Trade, based on Auschwitz commander Rudolf Höß.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Randover

Default Re: Man Without Disadvantages

Well that kind of man is hardly strange. Most people aren't limited by there disadvatages. Quircks I guess are more common - but if majority of people had psychologic issues society would brake up. I had heard once that USA especialy is keen on protecting the majority population - the avarage north americans - if those were people with issues there protection will be impossible...every one of them would need special treatment.

I guess the upper disadvatage limit is set that begining advetures is still able of action. But no-one say it has to be used to every last bit. If we consider that posttraumatic influece could create mental disadvatages even that might show that adveturers went thought a lot of bad things.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I think you've just described a high-functioning sociopath. Which probably isn't a bad description of the average character in an RPG.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
I think you've just described a high-functioning sociopath. Which probably isn't a bad description of the average character in an RPG.
I'd say so. I imagine many, maybe most, "real" people would find such quite creepy once they got an inkling.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
transmetahuman

But remember, the unDisadvantaged character won't get any particular reaction penalties from those who knows this stuff about him, either - or he'd have something akin to an OPH or any of the disads whose game effects are primarily reaction penalties from those who see the behavior. So he is someone who presents himself as an unobjectionable person, but doesn't have any serious, or even moderate, inhibitions on his behavior - not even an inhibition against presenting himself in a publicly objectionable way. Kind of a Catch 22, huh? So I tend to think of him as someone who generally thinks and acts in socially acceptable ways, and does have "normal" inhibitions, but can be very pragmatic when it comes to overcoming those inhibitions. Yeah, like most PCs. ;)
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
But remember, the unDisadvantaged character won't get any particular reaction penalties from those who knows this stuff about him, either - or he'd have something akin to an OPH or any of the disads whose game effects are primarily reaction penalties from those who see the behavior. So he is someone who presents himself as an unobjectionable person, but doesn't have any serious, or even moderate, inhibitions on his behavior - not even an inhibition against presenting himself in a publicly objectionable way. Kind of a Catch 22, huh? So I tend to think of him as someone who generally thinks and acts in socially acceptable ways, and does have "normal" inhibitions, but can be very pragmatic when it comes to overcoming those inhibitions. Yeah, like most PCs. ;)
At the gamestart, sure. But such characters will quickly accumulate Reputations and Secrets, usually of the negative kind. Interestingly, they're also susceptible to one human 'phobia' - fear of scary stuff, which, again, may cause accumulation of mental Disadvantages.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
Why would you consider such a sociopath?

After all, he behaves socially in order not to suffer any dire consequences to his deeds.
He can kill, but won't kill because it's against the law and socially unacceptable, he can steal, but won't steal, he can X, but won't X, etc.

That really describes a healthy member of society who is respectful of society.

Once he does break society's rules and laws, then he is no longer without disadvantages, since at that point he'll pick up Disads from Secrets due to criminal activities, to things like Nightmares, PTSD, Psychosis, etc.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Why would you consider such a sociopath?
I don't think you think this word means what some other people think it means. Let's start with definitions.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
He can kill, but won't kill because it's against the law and socially unacceptable, he can steal, but won't steal, he can X, but won't X, etc.
If he won´t kill because that is against the law, that would imply Honesty in GURPS terms. Being respectful of society is ... dunno, some kind of Code of Honor ?

The Man Without Disadvantages does not kill for no particular reason other than it is not worth the trouble. He is indifferent to murder. And if he kills - well, this won´t impose any mental disadvantges on him. Probably a secret, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Interestingly, they're also susceptible to one human 'phobia' - fear of scary stuff, which, again, may cause accumulation of mental Disadvantages.
Indeed. He is not Unfazeable. I hadn´t think of that. Camus protagonist in The Stranger is not particularily happy to be sentenced to death for murder, but still quite indifferent about it.

Last edited by sn0wball; 09-04-2008 at 01:42 PM.
sn0wball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I don't think you think this word means what some other people think it means. Let's start with definitions.
A sociopath, by definition, is someone with an antisocial personality disorder.

Someone who is respectful of society and its rules isn't antisocial.

As opposed to someone like Dexter who is a sociopath capable of presenting a false front so as not to get caught, but he has plenty of Disads.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote