Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #41
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Good examples of Social Regards?

"Not everybody respects my <advantage that gives a reaction bonus>" is a standard part of all traits with reaction modifiers. Some percentage of people will disagree, not care, etc.; this is due to Intolerance, Jealousy, a quirk, or similar on their part. Social Regard in particular assumes that most people you meet will react well, but it doesn't rule out cranks or those who are merely indifferent.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #42
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin
I'm not sure about things like "Superbowl Champion" or "Hall of Famer".
I would run those as reputations, myself. A special teams player who gets the occasional tackle might rate a quirk-level Reputation +1 (7-, Small Group (Home Town Team Fans), whereas an ex-superbowl champion or hall of famer could easily be Reputation +4 (Always, Large Group (NFL Fans)).
Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #43
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
"Not everybody respects my <advantage that gives a reaction bonus>" is a standard part of all traits with reaction modifiers. Some percentage of people will disagree, not care, etc.; this is due to Intolerance, Jealousy, a quirk, or similar on their part. Social Regard in particular assumes that most people you meet will react well, but it doesn't rule out cranks or those who are merely indifferent.
But how does it mesh with Charisma? Charisma is foolproof (except for Intolerance: Charismatic People, which seems very weird), gives skill bonuses and modifies certain skills' area of effect. Social Regard does nothing side from boosting reaction modifiers. Why are they both worth 5 points per level?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #44
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
But how does it mesh with Charisma? Charisma is foolproof (except for Intolerance: Charismatic People, which seems very weird), gives skill bonuses and modifies certain skills' area of effect. Social Regard does nothing side from boosting reaction modifiers. Why are they both worth 5 points per level?
If you want an opinion other than Kromm's, its because Charisma's price of 5/level is too low. I consider this a 3e "legacy fault", as others have put it.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #45
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Just theorizing here, so ignore me if I sound crazy ...

One possibility is that Charisma applies only to those people you meet, while Social Regard could get a good reaction from people who've only heard about you second-hand. If your name comes up in a news story, for example, people want to believe the best and disbelieve the worst about you because you're a doctor/police officer/priest/Feline Amazon Matriarch from Altair.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #46
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman

If you want an opinion other than Kromm's, its because Charisma's price of 5/level is too low. I consider this a 3e "legacy fault", as others have put it.
Probably true. I'm not above admitting that not every 3e thing translated nicely to 4e. I'd probably price Charisma at 10-15 points/level, were I starting from scratch.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #47
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
A generally practicing physician has a ph.d
Very uncommon: merely an M.D., and not even that in countries where M.D. is still a research degree.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #48
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Did you notice that all except the very few examples are from fictional worlds?
In my case it was intentional. Assuming you and I and the rest of the forum denziens share some of the same media from the last two decades seems a safer assumption than assuming we all share the same cultural and historical referents.

But if you like, we can talk about Arabs in North Africa during the Ummayid expansion, or Chinese in Southeast Asia and the southwest Pacific, or Irish in Charlegmane's Frankia.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #49
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Probably true. I'm not above admitting that not every 3e thing translated nicely to 4e. I'd probably price Charisma at 10-15 points/level, were I starting from scratch.
Does that mean that Charisma is a Talent? I guess the answer to this depends on whether the bonus to some skills is effectively cumulative with the reaction bonus. Is it?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #50
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
What do you think Charisma should cost, then? 6 CPs per level? 7?

And should it depend on the campaign type? In a standard fantasy campaign, Appearance is almost as useful as Charisma, because it works on most of the intelligent creatures you're likely to encounter, whereas in a standard space-based campaign, you will encounter lots of different species that just doesn't instinctively react to the human standards of beauty.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote