Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: How Do I Make A Whip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding

Huh? It covers all Melee weapons. Whips are a melee weapon.
What he said. Armoury (Melee Weapons) covers every muscle-powered melee or thrown weapon: blades, blunt instruments, boomerangs, flails, garrotes, knuckledusters, pointed sticks, "real authentic weapons from the Far East," shields, whips . . . everything. I'm not sure why you'd leave out whips. At most, there might be a -2 for an armourer who has never made a whip. But any armourer who can plait leather for a sword grip could make a serviceable whip in short order.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
malloyd

Default Re: How Do I Make A Whip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose
So... if I were to use Leatherworking instead, and add a Technique: Whips, Making and Repairing (Easy/Leatherworking-4), would that seem reasonable?
I'd have no problem with letting a PC take that. Hey, I'd probably even allow it as a technique of Erotic Art, though these days I might charge you an extra point for Technique Adaption.

I would be much more cautious about ruling you *couldn't* use Armoury (Melee Weapons) though. After all lots of weapons (and indeed all kinds of technical skills) will have quirky little things that don't quite seem to fit with the rest of the skill, and I really don't want to get into situations where I'm saying things like "ordinarily your Mechanic (automobile) skill would be just fine for fixing the car, but because you don't have a replacement and will have to somehow splice the broken belt, you need Craft (rubberworking) instead".
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Black Rose

Default re: Armoury (Melee Weapons) not covering whips

Sorry, what I meant was that Armoury (Melee Weapons) is, by and large, a lot of sharp, pointy, blunt, heavy, light, etc... but almost all of these things are made of not very flexible materials. It doesn't seem very intuitive to assume that, just because you're really good at making swords and axes -- Armoury (Melee Weapons)-15 -- you'd be good at making something out of a completely different material that delivers damage in an entirely different way.

Not that I won't simply pop Armoury (Melee/Whips) IQ/E on my sheet -- it just made more sense to go with Leatherworking DX/E.

Then again, it's OMHO, and MMMV.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Lupo

Default Re: Armoury (Melee Weapons) not covering whips

Quote:
It doesn't seem very intuitive to assume that, just because you're really good at making swords and axes -- Armoury (Melee Weapons)-15 -- you'd be good at making something out of a completely different material that delivers damage in an entirely different way..
Truth is, ANYBODY with any craft skill will be able to make a decent whip if he saw somebody do so in his life. Realistically you shouldn't require a roll at all, or may be a roll at +5.

I agree that swords are difficult to make, and expensive, so it's fair to require PCs to roll against skill to make one... but a whip? An everyday tool made of leather in may be 2 hours of work? If the GM doesn't require a roll (or grant a huge bonus to Pottery or Carpentry for "routine use of the skill") for manufacturing, say, a small wooden/ceramic cup, a whip should have the same requirements.
Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Bruno

Default Re: Armoury (Melee Weapons) not covering whips

Quote:
Sorry, what I meant was that Armoury (Melee Weapons) is, by and large, a lot of sharp, pointy, blunt, heavy, light, etc... but almost all of these things are made of not very flexible materials. It doesn't seem very intuitive to assume that, just because you're really good at making swords and axes -- Armoury (Melee Weapons)-15 -- you'd be good at making something out of a completely different material that delivers damage in an entirely different way.

You've forgotten flails, nunchucku, three-part-staves, morning stars, garrottes, the various chinese and japanese chain weapons (with or without weights, knives, sickles, etc) . . .

There's more to weapons than just swords axes and clubs. They're all melee weapons, they're all covered by Armoury (Melee weapons)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote