Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Toven

Default Cloaks and entangling.

In the equipment section of GURPS: Characters, under Cloaks, it reads:

Quote:
May entangle or ensnare the target; see Special Ranged Weapons (p. 411).
On page 411, there are rules for Lariats, Nets, Bolas...but no Cloak. I assume I am supposed to refer to similar rules for one of the three mentioned above, but it doesn't say. Which rules do I use for ensnaring a foe with a thrown cloak?
Toven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
jahn

Default Re: Cloaks and entangling.

You didn't give a page reference for cloaks. Looking at the equipment section I see on p. 287 (Shields) that cloaks have a note "can be used offensively to entangle, see Cloaks p. 404". And indeed on page 404 in Special Melee Weapon Rules there's a paragraph on Cloaks.

Oh wait I found it. You were referring to p. 275-276 (Muscle-Powered Ranged Weapons). I'd treat a cloak like a net.

Last edited by jahn; 05-12-2005 at 03:01 PM.
jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Sorry for threadraising, but could somebody confirm whether jahn's comparison of the cloak to the net is correct?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

A tossed cloak is a pretty sad entangling weapon, as it lacks weights (like a bolas or a combat net) and the user isn't holding on to apply tension (as with a lariat or a whip). Since the melee effect is "counts as a grapple," I'd make the thrown effect "counts as a grapple," too -- but once it's out of the thrower's hand, its ST is 0, so breaking free is automatic if attempted. The sum total effect is to make the victim waste a turn breaking free, which is only useful when trying to delay someone. To make sure that the foe does waste time breaking free, target an area that will be inconvenient if he doesn't bother -- weapon arm, head (to blind), etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

What about a weighted cloak? After-all, if I was a sneaky stabby type(like say, an Assassin), then I'd probably want a cloak to aid in concealing my weaponry and myself. But why not convert it to a weapon of some sort as well? A well used cloak could disorientate a victim long enough for me to grab him and jam my knife into his throat.

But in any case, would it be okay to consider a weighted cloak as a net?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
...After-all, if I was a sneaky stabby type(like say, an Assassin), then I'd probably want a cloak to aid in concealing my weaponry and myself.
For that matter, in a cinematic modern or ultratech game, couldn't your cloak be made of kevlar or monocrys, or for the bio-minded, arachnoweave? Then you COULD use it like a shield, sort-of, for certain situations.
On a related note, I've heard of kevlar blankets being used for VIP protection; somebody starts shooting, security dog-piles the VIP with the blankets to provide protection. Anyone heard of this?
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Sorry for re-necroing this thread, but the OP's question has never been answered as far as I can tell.

"On page 411, there are rules for Lariats, Nets, Bolas...but no Cloak. I assume I am supposed to refer to similar rules for one of the three mentioned above, but it doesn't say. Which rules do I use for ensnaring a foe with a thrown cloak?"

My presumption is that a Heavy Cloak would be used as a Melee Net (same weight) and thus use Net rules... but...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote