Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #41
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Warp, preparing and body sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding

Is this errata for Body Sense?
Hm? It's no error. It's just added interpretation for the one rare case where you use Warp at -10, as opposed to all the more common cases where you use magic spells, Jumper, ultra-tech, etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #42
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Ready vs. Concentrate has very little to do with physical vs. mental. As a rule, all advantages use Ready except the ones explicitly singled out to use some other maneuver (be that Attack, Concentrate, Move, or something else). The presence of an IQ or Will roll doesn't guarantee that Concentrate maneuvers are required.
Forgive me for quoting your own scripture to you, but Powers p154 lists Warp under Concentrate.

Also, on another point...
Quote:
If I make an IQ-10 roll and a Body Sense roll, I can teleport at the start of this turn and act this turn. This does indeed let me teleport behind someone, step, attack, and not face an active defense unless he has some special sensory ability.
If the Warp at -10 counts as a Free Action, would it then be possible to Attack first then use your Free Action to teleport away at the end of your turn?

Quote:
Hm? It's no error. It's just added interpretation for the one rare case where you use Warp at -10, as opposed to all the more common cases where you use magic spells, Jumper, ultra-tech, etc.
Actually, I've found in play that it's not a rare case at all. Either you're using Warp in combat, instantaneously if you can burn the FP to succeed with -10, or at worst with a turn of Concentrate for -5; or you're not in combat and can leisurely prep up to 15 minutes or so. The in-between parts of the prep time table get some use, but not as much as the -10. This is in a higher point-level campaign though.

And it's my first post, so be nice to me.

Daigoro.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #43
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro

Forgive me for quoting your own scripture to you, but Powers p154 lists Warp under Concentrate.
So it does. Then use Concentrate. :) What I said doesn't change appreciably, because we're discussing the zero-time "free action" use of Warp, which doesn't require Ready or Concentrate.

Quote:

If the Warp at -10 counts as a Free Action, would it then be possible to Attack first then use your Free Action to teleport away at the end of your turn?
Sure, why not? Of course, a failed Body Sense roll will mess up the following turn for you, but that might not matter much if you're kilometers away from your opponent. The important thing, really, is that you can't use Warp at -10 more than once per turn without something like Altered Time Rate.

Quote:

Actually, I've found in play that it's not a rare case at all [...] This is in a higher point-level campaign though.
At high point totals, it won't be rare. However, Body Sense isn't just for Warp. It's also for the Teleport spells and other spells of that ilk (Plane Shift, etc.), for other people teleporting you with Afflictions that cause Warp, for Jumper, etc. These things require a certain minimum amount of time, unlike zero-time Warp. All told, the "free action" use of Warp is a very special case among the many possible uses of Body Sense.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #44
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Actually, I've found in play that it's not a rare case at all. Either you're using Warp in combat, instantaneously if you can burn the FP to succeed with -10, or at worst with a turn of Concentrate for -5; or you're not in combat and can leisurely prep up to 15 minutes or so.
you forgeting non combat emgracy like rescuing person who is falling from bridge/cliff/building
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #45
sgt.sargent

Quote:
If I make an IQ-10 roll and a Body Sense roll, I can teleport at the start of this turn and act this turn. This does indeed let me teleport behind someone, step, attack, and not face an active defense unless he has some special sensory ability.
And you still have to act on your turn, so unless you take a Wait and then do an IQ-10 roll when you are attacked, Blink is the only way to Warp dodge, right?

Tags
kromm answer, warp