Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2023, 06:31 AM   #651
Varyon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Also, it seems like, a lot of the premise of Stargate involved the Goa'uld having more advanced tech than the other aliens they were terrorizing - are we keeping that (technologically or magically), or not? Possibly I've lost track :-D
I assume they have more advanced magitech than those they are terrorizing - it's just that there are (presumably) quite a few civilizations that they aren't terrorizing, that function more as peer opponents. Indeed, I expect the majority of accessible civilizations that aren't under Goa'uld control either have comparable/superior magitech (at least in some areas) to the Goa'uld, or have benefactors (like the Asgard and "Spirits" in SG1) who do... because otherwise they would be under Goa'uld control.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:32 AM   #652
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Gould could be ruling over these cultures as well, through their ability to shape-change and mind-control. If we want to play up the spy angle, there is always the possibility that the ruler of a people is actually a Gould. In the series the Gould rule over a wide variety of human cultures, usually from a distance.

Its also worth considering if these are cultures, or if they are factions, because that effects how the geopolitical landscape appears.

Are we going to sit down and figure out what the tech for all these peoples looks like beyond "TL10^ Crystal Towers and Togas" or "TL5 +2 steampunk"? I've put some thought into this, and I've got a list I at least use to flesh out a tech system:
  • Weapons (melee, ranged, and heavy)
  • Armor (including armored vehicles)
  • Transportation
  • Communication (private and mass)
  • Wealth Level (usually free from the number)
  • Survival (tents, space, water, optional)
  • Spy Gear (Locks, Ciphers, surveillance, optional)
Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm not wild about it myself but you've either got <Adjective><Form of government> or "<place of the random letters people>.
Alternatively, <random letters people> <Form of Government>, but yeah.

Quote:
My absolutely not serious suggestion is "The Rocketdom of Lemuria". I have no idea what that means except that rockets are involved and I'm sure I haven't been there yet.
Lemuria is a great name: I'm not sure if it fits the people we're currently voting on, but it could, or it could inspire something else. "Rocketdom" feels weird though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:39 PM   #653
Prince Charon

The current tally is five votes for 5, four votes for 1, three votes for 4, and two votes for 6. It's possible that some of you who didn't vote for 6 do want the polity to be an alliance with multiple tech levels/styles - if so, you can still modify your vote, I'm leaving it open for at least another day, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Are we going to sit down and figure out what the tech for all these peoples looks like beyond "TL10^ Crystal Towers and Togas" or "TL5 +2 steampunk"? I've put some thought into this, and I've got a list I at least use to flesh out a tech system:
  • Weapons (melee, ranged, and heavy)
  • Armor (including armored vehicles)
  • Transportation
  • Communication (private and mass)
  • Wealth Level (usually free from the number)
  • Survival (tents, space, water, optional)
  • Spy Gear (Locks, Ciphers, surveillance, optional)
Just a thought.
Interesting idea, might be useful later. Of course, if you did one list item per question, that would probably expand the number of Questions by a lot, and might get tedious. Asking for suggestions might work better, but is less precise. Thoughts? (I'm thinking that I'll add a link in the table of contents, but maybe to a post dedicated to this list and related things, rather than to a general reply; do you want to type up a more formal version of the above?)

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:05 PM   #654
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
The current tally is five votes for 5, four votes for 1, three votes for 4, and two votes for 6. It's possible that some of you who didn't vote for 6 do want the polity to be an alliance with multiple tech levels/styles - if so, you can still modify your vote, I'm leaving it open for at least another day, I think.
Had another thought on this: In the absence of 6 getting more votes, it could be that the 'Power in Motion' and 'Cyberpunk' cultures are protectorates or client states of the more powerful 'Atompunk' culture, rather than members thereof. Does anyone object, or have a better idea?

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:12 PM   #655
TGLS

Quote:
Does anyone object, or have a better idea?
Hold an additional vote to determine the setup of the government or whether there are sub-technology groups or not? All we got so far is: "There's a government" and "It likes nukes". I'm not a fan of having a mix-up of different magitechs as that will probably lead to sophisticated comparative magitech theory.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:54 PM   #656
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
? All we got so far is: "There's a government" and "It likes nukes".
Magically-based nukes could easily be things that the SG people wouldn't even recognize as nukes until they exploded.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:14 AM   #657
Prince Charon

Important Regional Cultures Question V

The previous question offered several names for the as-yet unnamed polity under discussion. Which do you prefer? Once we have a name, we can do other votes like government structure and details of the technology. (Doylistly, one advantage of the Atompunk option winning is that their tech is going to fit more closely with the SGC's preconceived notions of reality, allowing the weird bits to slip through as 'an alternate technological path,' and not disrupting the idea that it's not a magic setting.)

1. High/Highest Republic

2. Torbits

3. House of Harmony and Fraternity

4. Chain of Astarte

5. Rocketdom of Lemuria

6. Seshat Corporation

7. Blazing Lights of Utuho

8. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Answer: 4 has three votes and wins, 7 has two votes, 2 and three have one vote each, and 1 has one vote for and one against.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 05-15-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:57 AM   #658
TGLS

I'll vote against 1 (It's too Star Wars and the only reason I suggested "Highest" was punning off what advanced Herb Lore could imply) and vote for 7.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:27 AM   #659
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Votes for 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. That is:
  • High Republic is a really pretentious sounding name and can be used for irony and satire
  • I like the name Torbits. Its mine
  • House of Harmony and Fraternity is solid, and sounds a little like imperial china
  • Chain of Astarte sounds serious
  • Blazing Lights of Utuho isn't as polished as I'd like, but the core elements are the coolest in the list.
Quote:
Had another thought on this: In the absence of 6 getting more votes, it could be that the 'Power in Motion' and 'Cyberpunk' cultures are protectorates or client states of the more powerful 'Atompunk' culture, rather than members thereof. Does anyone object, or have a better idea?
I mean, if 6 didn't win, then 6 didn't win. I don't think it was especially Popular. Options can be reused as official options or be suggested as write-in votes, especially if they showed promise.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-12-2023 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:36 AM   #660
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Interesting idea, might be useful later. Of course, if you did one list item per question, that would probably expand the number of Questions by a lot, and might get tedious. Asking for suggestions might work better, but is less precise. Thoughts? (I'm thinking that I'll add a link in the table of contents, but maybe to a post dedicated to this list and related things, rather than to a general reply; do you want to type up a more formal version of the above?)
I don't think generating the tech options one at a time is a good idea: that's a lot of questions. I do thing presenting sets of technology is good, and presenting a couple of ideas, discussing it, then voting on the presentations, including hybrid ideas (My Weapons and Comms but Your Transportation and Armor).

Is there anything you'd like to see in a more formal writeup? I technically have a blogpost on this, but its WAY overkill. Maybe refine the definitions to be a little longer?

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding