Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2023, 10:04 AM   #411
Kesendeja

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

4. I kind of like the idea of him being an official liaison from a High Elf ally.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:20 AM   #412
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
There's a long history of characters avoiding this trivially including a surprising array of Spock-ish headwear.

In an (extremely good) episode involving time travel to 1969 there was a wig that made him look like a rather buff Jimi Hendrix and he also just told a person he met that his emblem stood for "subjugation to false gods" which go him a reply of "Cool.".

Many sorts of small signs of alienicity can be covered up with a "wink wink nudge nudge".
Come to think of it, I believe Teal'c typically seemed to give approximately zero f***s about concealing what he was around civilians, it's just that everybody assumed he was talking about something else (or was simply high/crazy/whatever). Which honestly makes more sense than someone immediately thinking "Oh my god he's an alien!"
Old 01-24-2023, 02:35 AM   #413
adm

Why limit to one type;

No shapeshifters, the Goald do not want to risk that sort of infiltration by other Goald..

so 1,2,4,5,6,7

Last edited by adm; 01-24-2023 at 05:05 PM. Reason: oopise.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #414
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
so 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
so 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
If you vote for 8, you need to specify which 'other category' you're voting for.

Poll remains open for at least a day or two, maybe longer. It looks kind of like 4 is winning, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #415
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
G'annan of Frolec Question I

Answer: .
4 and give him a hat or at least comb his long hair the right way..
Old 01-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #416
Prince Charon

G'annan of Frolec Question II

This is another 'two questions in separate formats' one.

First question: So, we know that G'annan is an elf, but which kind? (Note that I'm going with the fairly common houserule that Unaging costs 5 points, not 15; this matters for the costs of elven racial templates.) Whether he does spellcasting or not, and what kind, will be a later question.

1. Dungeon Fantasy Elf (needs a new vote to narrow down what type; points costs around 25-30).

2. Standard Fantasy Elf (either Banestorm template adjusted to 31 points, or Basic set/Fantasy template at 60 points).

3. 'Vulcanian' Elf (new template, racial designation chosen by nerdy analysts; increased ST & DX, subtle magic if any, maybe mental magic, point cost TBD).

4. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number of your preferred option when you vote.

Second question: It's been suggested that G'annan is a liaison from an elven faction, perhaps an agent of one of the High (mythical) Elves. Do you prefer that this be the case? I'm imagining this means that his first encounter with the SGC is quite different from Teal'c, with him scouting or spying for his lord against the same target they the Earthlings are spying on. Fairly fitting for the style of this alternate SGC.

Please answer either YES in all caps or NO in all caps.

Answers: 4 gets three votes and wins, but I almost missed Varyon's vote due to formatting issues. YES also wins, since the only votes that even mentioned the second part of the question all went with it.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-30-2023 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:59 PM   #417
TGLS

4: It's silly, and has more to do with the resemblance of G'annan and Ganon, but I'd like it if Gerudo from the Legend of Zelda were an option (granted, calling them elves is debatable but they have pointy ears, so close enough to me).

YES to the second question.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:55 AM   #418
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

1,2, or 4(Gerudo).

Magical should be kept fairly minimal though.

YES, lets run a different arc for our initial local guide.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #419
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
4: It's silly, and has more to do with the resemblance of G'annan and Ganon, but I'd like it if Gerudo from the Legend of Zelda were an option (granted, calling them elves is debatable but they have pointy ears, so close enough to me).
My knowledge of Legend of Zelda is pretty limited, so if that does win, someone else will need to write up the template (or maybe someone already has, but I'm too tired to look it up, and it may end up not mattering).

Poll is probably open until the weekend, if not Monday.

-- Tacitus

Old 01-26-2023, 12:19 PM   #420
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
G'annan of Frolec Question II
Honestly, I like the idea of there being Gerudo as an elven variant, and having G'annan be one of their rare males could certainly be an option, so I'll go with that. If this wins, his template needs the Quirk "Tends to snort when laughing."

As for the Gerudo themselves, they are adapted to the desert, so Temperature Tolerance (in both directions - it gets cold at night in the desert, and Gerudo appear to prefer wearing very little) is a must. They seem to all be quite fit, so boosted HT and/or Fit is appropriate, as may be boosted ST. In Ocarina of Time, they seem to just be SM+0, but in Breath of the Wild they sit comfortably at around the middle of SM+1 instead (which, combined with their overall fitness, is going to come with a boost to ST - racial average should probably be at least ST 15 if they are SM+1, possibly a bit higher). They are all at least Attractive, if not Beautiful (Handsome for the rare males) - and considering they seem to have a reputation for such, I don't think this can just be chalked up to the artists preferring to draw/render attractive characters. Their large ears may justify Enhanced Hearing, while their large noses may justify Enhanced Sense of Smell... although just giving them a general +1 or +2 to Per is probably a better option. Magery doesn't seem to be common (in Ocarina of Time, Ganon and his caretakers are all skilled with magic, but I don't think you see it in the rest of the tribe; in Breath of the Wild, the closest thing to such are Urbosa's lightning powers, and those seem to be largely unique to her rather than a common Gerudo trait, just like the abilities of the other three Champions). Their most notable trait is the massive gender disparity - males are either extremely rare (Ganon I believe is noted to be the first in a few hundred years in Ocarina of Time) or nonexistent (no male Gerudo to speak of in Breath of the Wild), which leads them to breed with other races, but unlike most elves, Gerudo always breed true - their daughters are full-blooded Gerudo, not half-elves. For SG:Fantasy, I'd suggest males be more common than in The Legend of Zelda, such that G'annan isn't a once-in-several-generations oddity. Maybe something like 5% of births being males?

Last edited by Varyon; 01-26-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding