Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #241
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Possibly. I also think that I should have given it double knockback.

Technically, Burning does no Knockback. Even if it did with 2D you'd have to use the variant where you multiply the damage before you calculated Knockback or you wouldn't have any on average.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #242
Varyon

Quote:
I was probably trying to match the accuracy the Jaffa tend to have on the show, and the ranges given for the spell seemed appropriate for the combat ranges we see in the show, but I now I think I was being too faithful to it.
Jaffa are mooks (except for PCs, their allies, and some elite enemies), so they tend to be pretty awful shots, and Hollywood combat ranges tend to be rather short. I wouldn't give the weapon great accuracy, of course, given they aren't really meant for that (Teal'c, Bra'tac, etc have good accuracy due to high skill), hence suggesting Acc 1. For Range, you may want to give them ranges roughly comparable to pistols (maybe even just black powder pistols; they don't need great range, given they can't hit things very far without extreme skill anyway, but they do need enough to at least threaten the Tau'ri).

Quote:
I think I might have overestimated the length a bit *goes to check the wiki*. It's two metres long, so maybe -6?
That works too. Honestly, that was what I originally wrote in my post, but then when I rechecked the Holdout skill, I thought -5 (bastard sword) looked closer... but -6 (I presume greatsword) would also work.

Quote:
I recall putting it at +2, then thinking that people would think that was too good, and resetting it to 0. I guess I should have left it where it was.
Either works. An issue with having rank-and-file Jaffa have +2 to Parry is that it gives them an advantage if the PC's engage them in melee, when - being mooks - they should go down fairly readily. One option would be to have most Jaffa actually use their staff weapons with Spear skill in melee, which doesn't enjoy the benefit of the +2 (and they may also have spears - with or without projectile enchantments - that they use for warfare; elites like Teal'c instead use Staff, potentially with Weapon Adaptation to be able to use spears with the same).

Quote:
Possibly. I also think that I should have given it double knockback.
As Fred notes, Burning normally doesn't deal Knockback. A "Deals Knockback +20%" Enhancement that makes the attack deal knockback as though it were Crushing should be fine*, and then you could tack Knockback on top of it. Of course, given we aren't dealing with Advantages here, you can just handwave it as "these things deal knockback as though they were a crushing attack of twice the damage."

*An equal-damage Crushing Attack that only deals Knockback would, ignoring other Enhancements/Limitations, cost 20% of what the original attack did; some GM's would require a Link surcharge, but I personally wouldn't. Note this can also be used to justify the +20% of Double Knockback.

Quote:
Either works, it just needs some thinking. Of course, since these are not exactly standarised weapons, it could be that some have an armour divisor, some have a stunning effect, and some have both, or neither.
Some Goa'Uld may keep separate weapons for war and terror - spears that fire armor-piercing bolts for warfare, staves that fire stunning bolts for terror.

Quote:
Also, as a weapon of terror, I should point out that burn injuries are very painful and don't always heal right, so some Goa'Uld might want to have survivors around as object lessons.
I was thinking more along the lines of stunned foes being captured, then publicly tortured to death. Leaving them with unhealing wounds that ooze plasma (see the GURPS Bio Tech handling of burning wounds) may also be a rather effective deterrent to rebellion.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #243
Prince Charon

OK, I went back and edited the post. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. What do you think?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #244
adm

I think the Staff weapon looks good, with Varyon's, and Bracken's modifications.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:41 AM   #245
Varyon

Quote:
OK, I went back and edited the post. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. What do you think?
Looks good. A minor quibble - and something I may have missed before - is that Rcl 0 isn't really a thing, and the weapon should be Rcl 1. This doesn't really matter for a single shot weapon, but for the sake of consistency with other rules (and in case one of the variant options is a rapid-fire staff weapon), I'd suggest changing to Rcl 1.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:34 AM   #246
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Looks good. A minor quibble - and something I may have missed before - is that Rcl 0 isn't really a thing, and the weapon should be Rcl 1. This doesn't really matter for a single shot weapon, but for the sake of consistency with other rules (and in case one of the variant options is a rapid-fire staff weapon), I'd suggest changing to Rcl 1.
OK, done. Pretty sure I made the mistake due to not checking the rules, and just thinking 'it has zero recoil, so that should be Rcl 0.'

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #247
Prince Charon

Not what I was planning on posting, but probably something that should have been asked sooner:

Stargate Question I

Meaning the 'gate itself. What does it look like?

1. A big ring with symbols on it, as in canon.

2. As 1, but there are a greater variety of styles of ring.

3. A big lintel arch, like at Stonehenge, but probably wider.

4. A platform, like the ring transporters.

5. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Answer: Everyone who voted went for 2, and enough went for Varyon's version that I'm making it official: "The gate used by SGC, and probably the first several gates encountered, look like they do in the movie and shows, but they will encounter rings that look quite different. This may mean multiple groups creating the Stargate system, rather than it just being a project of the Ancients, but it could also mean the group that initially set it up used a few different designs to better blend in with already-established cultures. Or just some of the designers got bored and decided to put their own twist on things... "

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-12-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:10 AM   #248
Varyon

Quote:
Stargate Question I
2: The gate used by SGC, and probably the first several gates encountered, look like they do in the movie and shows, but they will encounter rings that look quite different. This may mean multiple groups creating the Stargate system, rather than it just being a project of the Ancients, but it could also mean the group that initially set it up used a few different designs to better blend in with already-established cultures. Or just some of the designers got bored and decided to put their own twist on things...

Last edited by Varyon; 11-10-2022 at 04:43 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:39 AM   #249
adm

2 as well, for the reasons Varyon described.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:22 AM   #250
Kesendeja

Quote:
Stargate Question I
2. As 1, but there are a greater variety of styles of ring.
I simply like that there may be more than one set of ring builders and it's easiest to show through different styles of ring, like other's have said.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding