Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 AM   #1
Steve Plambeck

Default SUGGESTION: a new format for the OPTIONS LIST

For me, this little project evolved out of a discussions about perceived ambiguities in the Dodge and Defend options over in the House Rules Forum: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=163721

The questions raised by some lead me to lay out all my 42 years of TFT manuals side by side, from the first edition of Melee to the new Legacy ITL, and compare the List Of Options in all its forms. It was quite an education! There were some changes over time I'd never noticed before because "I already knew the system" and so hadn't looked so closely. I found at least one mistake in how my old group had played back in the day (1978 to 1996). This research was a lot of fun.

I was particularly struck by how many of the questions new folk were asking could be answered by one tiny little paragraph that appeared in the first printing of Wizard way back in 1978, the one under the heading CHANGING OPTIONS that appeared at the end of the list of options. Much to my surprise, that helpful paragraph only ever appeared again in Advanced Melee. Somehow it never got carried over to the subsequent editions of Melee, and even more surprising to me is that it doesn't appear in the Legacy editions anywhere, not even in the current Wizard, which is where it originated. It had to be written by SJ himself, after Melee was first published and before Wizard came out. I'd sure like to see that paragraph put back in future editions.

As I was reading all those old pages, and some debating was going on over which format of the LIST OF OPTIONS was the better one, I got the bug to see if I could come up with a new format, one that embraced what seemed the better parts of the various versions. In all the versions except Advanced Melee, including the latest in LE ITL, the options are presented as "menus", one for engaged figures, one for disengaged, and one for those in HTH. The strength of that is elegance and simplicity. The weakness is some vagueness about changing options, particularly combining the movement with the action parts across different options -- technically legal but not always easy to "see". The AM version, perhaps experimentally, presented options organized not by engagement status, but distance moved. That clarified things a lot. But here there were some other problems, which I'm sure is why it wasn't utilized for the Legacy rules.

So my crazy idea of course was to find a way to combine the two models into one, while clearing up what could be combined with what (the AM solution had been to list some options multiple times, but that way of doing it is rather awkward). And in particular I wanted the format to demonstrate what the rules say and imply in so many other places: movement, not engagement status, is what really regulates a figures options to act.

In a separate post after this overly long preface I'll put up the LIST OF OPTIONS in this alternative format. And I emphasize, this is intended only as an alternate format for the existing, official, and current rules! Except for a few headings, nearly all the text comes from the current, Legacy Edition of ITL, with tiny amounts from original Wizard, and from Advanced Melee. The page numbers quoted all refer to the current Legacy Edition of ITL. A few strange artifacts arose ; for example, I had to split the Stand Up options into two separate options, one Crawl 2-Hexes, the other Stand Up, to work with the new format ; that doesn't actually change how anything works in play. Otherwise, this is all Steve Jackson's work, except for any mistakes of course which my own unskilled typing might have caused.

Please feel free to rip this to bits, and tell me where I goofed. By goofed, I mean anything that would alter the RAW. That isn't the intention, and that's why I'm posting here rather than in House Rules. Anything that would lead a player (or GM) to do anything outside the intended RAW will get changed. This new table doesn't work unless every turn would come out the same without it.

And my apologies to Steve Jackson and all the great and wonderful folk at SJG for sticking my nose in their fine work. This is just a format suggestion, and being here, this all belongs to SJG to use or disregard as desired, as it should.

Steve P.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: SUGGESTION: a new format for the OPTIONS LIST

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A newer, revised version of this list is posted further below on 5/28/2020. You may jump straight to it by clicking on:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...11#post2326011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIST OF OPTIONS

An OPTION is a set of actions. A figure may execute ONE option each turn, and may NOT mix actions from different options. It is possible to change options – see below.

I. OPTIONS ONLY AVAILABLE TO DISENGAGED FIGURES

(a) MOVE more than half its MA, up to its full MA. Take no other action this turn except for such things as jumping, attempting to scoop up a weapon, etc. (Note, a figure must STOP movement the moment it steps into any front hex of an armed opponent – at that point the figure becomes engaged.)

(b) CHARGE ATTACK. Move up to half its MA and, when the chance to act comes, make a regular, thrown-weapon, or jabbing attack with your ready, non-missile weapon. OR move up to half its MA, ending movement on a hex occupied by another figure, and attempt to initiate HTH combat this turn; see p. 116.

(c) DODGE. Move up to half its MA while dodging (see p. 117).

(d) READY NEW WEAPON. Move up to 2 hexes and re-sling (NOT drop) its ready weapon and/or shield, and then (1) ready a new weapon and/or shield, OR (2) pick up and ready a dropped weapon and/or shield in the hex where movement ends or an adjacent hex, OR (3) exchange weapons with any adjacent figure. (If ENGAGED, you must use the CHANGE WEAPONS option instead – see below.)

(e) CRAWL 2 HEXES. A disengaged figure in a prone, kneeling, or knocked down position may crawl up to two hexes on its turn to move. (If you are engaged, you cannot disengage by crawling unless your opponent cannot move at all.) The figure can take no other action if it plans to STAND UP (see below) at the end of the turn.

II. OPTIONS ONLY AVAILABLE TO FIGURES ALREADY IN HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT (see p. 116)

(f) HTH ATTACK. Attempt to hit an opponent in the same hex with bare hands or, if dagger is ready, with the dagger.

(g) ATTEMPT TO DRAW DAGGER. Roll 3/DX to succeed.

(h) ATTEMPT TO DISENGAGE. Disengaging while in HTH combat is not automatic; it requires a roll. See p. 117.

III. OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO ALL FIGURES NOT IN HTH COMBAT

Figures that are either ENGAGED or DISENGAGED may choose any one of the following options, with choice limited by the distance moved. Just because an option is available doesn’t necessarily mean it would make sense to pick it. You wouldn’t pick (q) DISENGAGE if you weren’t engaged with anyone. You might pick (j) ATTACK though even if your front hexes were empty, if you were guessing one of those hexes held an invisible foe. Let common sense prevail.

A. MOVE UP TO ½ MA OR LESS, AND:

(i) DEFEND against any non-missile spells and attacks with your ready weapon (see p. 117).

(j) DROP to a prone or kneeling position. If DISENGAGED, move up to half its MA first and then drop. If ENGAGED, it may only shift 1 hex and then drop.

B. MOVE 1 HEX (IF DISENGAGED) OR SHIFT 1 HEX (IF ENGAGED), OR STAND STILL AND:

(k) ATTACK. Make a regular, thrown-weapon, or jabbing attack with your ready, non-missile weapon ; this is identical to the CHARGE ATTACK option but without the charge.

(l) MISSILE WEAPON ATTACK. Move up to 1 hex and/or drop to prone/kneeling position and fire a missile weapon. A figure must be DISENGAGED to fire and reload a missile weapon, but see the next option.

(m) ONE-LAST-SHOT MISSILE ATTACK. If the figure had a missile weapon ready BEFORE it was engaged, it may get off one last shot. (You can almost always release an arrow at a charging enemy.) When engaged, the missile weapon MUST be dropped after firing.

(n) CHANGE WEAPONS. If ENGAGED, shift one hex (or stand still) and DROP ready weapon (if any), and ready a new weapon. (Exception: an ENGAGED figure cannot ready or reload a missile weapon.) If the figure was NOT engaged, it would normally be better to use the READY NEW WEAPON option (see above).

(o) CAST SPELL. Attempt any spell.

(p) DISBELIEVE. Taking no other action, attempt to disbelieve one figure.

(q) DISENGAGE. An ENGAGED figure that only stands still or shifts one hex during movement may disengage one hex in any direction from one or more enemy figures when your turn to ACT comes. Make no attacks, cast no spells, etc; see p. 106 for an explanation of disengaging.

(r) ATTEMPT HAND-TO-HAND ATTACK. An ENGAGED figure may attempt HTH combat by standing still or shifting during the movement phase; when its turn to attack comes, it moves onto the hex of any adjacent enemy, and attempts to hit with bare hands or (if it was ready) its dagger. See p. 116.

C. OR DO NOT MOVE AT ALL AND:

(s) PICK UP DROPPED WEAPON. “Bend over” (not moving), drop your ready weapon and/or shield (if any), and pick up and ready a dropped weapon in your hex or an adjacent hex.

(t) STAND UP. Rise from a prone, kneeling, or knocked down position at the end of the combat phase. To stand up, the figure must have taken NO other action this turn other than the CRAWL 2 HEXES option (see above).

CHANGING OPTIONS

It is legal to change options AFTER the movement part of the turn, to meet changing conditions. The only requirement is that the figure must not have already moved more than the NEW option allows. If you moved 0 or 1 hex, you may switch to any option you could have taken when the turn began ; if you moved ½ your MA or less, you may attack, defend, dodge, or drop ; if you moved over ½ your MA you may do nothing else that turn.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 05-28-2020 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Moved Defend to its correct position, and made the wording of Attack and Charge Attack consistent.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
Steve Plambeck

Much to my chagrin, I'd placed Defend in the wrong position -- that has been corrected above. That's so ironic, as misunderstandings about that very option were a major inspiration behind making this list.

Also changed the wording of Attack and Charge Attack to be consistent with each other, and added wordage to the latter to further explicate how initiating HTH works under the rules as written.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

In what is probably the final edit, I just put back the reminder that two figures may exchange weapons under the Ready New Weapon Option, and the reminder under the One-Last-Shot option that the figure must then drop its missile weapon.

You may also have noticed the moderators have moved this thread to the House Rules sub-forum.

But as far as I can tell, this list still adheres to the RAW, it's just an alternative presentation format for the existing List of Options found on LE ITL 102. If anyone sees an exception to that please feel free to mention it.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
In what is probably the final edit, I just put back the reminder that two figures may exchange weapons under the Ready New Weapon Option, and the reminder under the One-Last-Shot option that the figure must then drop its missile weapon.

You may also have noticed the moderators have moved this thread to the House Rules sub-forum.

But as far as I can tell, this list still adheres to the RAW, it's just an alternative presentation format for the existing List of Options found on LE ITL 102. If anyone sees an exception to that please feel free to mention it.
Thanks Steve, it is thoughtful work. I think I like mine better, it is strictly listed by movement used - that is easier for me, anyway.

I agree, I don't see why it should be in the House Rules when it is focused on the RAW.

Last edited by Aman; 04-17-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #6
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
Thanks Steve, it is thoughtful work. I think I like mine better, it is strictly listed by movement used - that is easier for me, anyway.

I agree, I don't see why it should be in the House Rules when it is focused on the RAW.
Thanks! If you run across it, the table in Advanced Melee is extremely similar to yours, and both are plenty good to work from -- yours is probably better.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
Helborn

Hi Steve,
You may want to be more explicit about (n)being the option to choose when reloading a weapon which takes multiple turns to reload.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Hi Steve,
You may want to be more explicit about (n)being the option to choose when reloading a weapon which takes multiple turns to reload.
I see your point about the multiple turns, but wouldn't it go under (d) and not (n)? "READY A NEW WEAPON" for disengaged figures could rightly say "READY A NEW WEAPON, OR CONTINUE TO READY A CROSSBOW FOR A FUTURE TURN" to be fully explicit. (d) was for changing weapons under the constraint of engagement, which (as mentioned) does not allow you to be readying or reloading a bow at all.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
JimmyPlenty

I have a question about the move one hex if disengaged and attack part. I like it because it not considered a charge (to get a way to attack pole weapons without giving them a free attack). However, I could not find that in ITL. Is this a house rule?
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I have a question about the move one hex if disengaged and attack part. I like it because it not considered a charge (to get a way to attack pole weapons without giving them a free attack). However, I could not find that in ITL. Is this a house rule?
First question last, nothing in my table is intended to differ from any RAW -- all should be canonical, just in (what I hope) is an unambiguous format.

Moving one hex and attacking is subsumed by (b) CHARGE ATTACK. It's a move not greater than 1/2 MA. According to the RAW, moving from a non-adjacent hex to an adjacent hex and attacking is the very definition of a charge attack. There's no option where a disengaged figure ends their move and attacks that is not considered a charge attack, even if their move was only 1 hex, and thus any pole weapon bonuses for the defender will always apply.

Now many folk would house rule a different definition of charge attack, that's true, even I might, but again this List of Options is meant only to include what was intended in the RAW. Hope that helps!