Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #41
BrotherBill
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Basic (1-hex) illusion would be no good for that, as the illusion would only reach to an adjacent hex and could go no further. Illusions of missile spells are pretty useless really
Illusions can mimic creation spells but not others. You could cast the illusion of an arrow that an archer could shoot, but you cannot mimic a thrown spell like trip or control person, or a death spell, or reveal magic; I think missile spells are likewise not possible to mimic with illusons.
BrotherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #42
Dave Crowell
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Illusions can be made to move, even fly, so an illusionary missile is possible. The issue with an illusionary fireball is that illusions can do nothing on the turn they are cast. This means that the illusionary fireball is going to hover in lace for a turn and then shoot off towards its target on the second turn, unlike a real fireball which forms and fires in the same turn. This odd behavior would reveal the fireball, if not the "wizard" casting it to be an illusion. Probably not worth the strength expended in the casting.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #43
BrotherBill
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Illusions can be made to move, even fly, so an illusionary missile is possible. The issue with an illusionary fireball is that illusions can do nothing on the turn they are cast. This means that the illusionary fireball is going to hover in lace for a turn and then shoot off towards its target on the second turn, unlike a real fireball which forms and fires in the same turn. This odd behavior would reveal the fireball, if not the "wizard" casting it to be an illusion. Probably not worth the strength expended in the casting.
Illujsory creatures take no action on their creation turn, but fires seem to burn immediately, and shadows are dark. Would the illusion of a magic rope be effective the turn it was cast?
BrotherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #44
Dave Crowell
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Since the Wizard rules specifically call out being able to cast an illusion of Magic Rope I would say that it would take effect as a normal Magic Rope spell unless disbelieved.

On closer reading the stipulation that illusions do nothing on their initial turn seems to refer specifically to illusionary summons creatures. Perhaps n illusionary Fire Ball would not have to remain motionless for a turn after all.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #45
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
On closer reading the stipulation that illusions do nothing on their initial turn seems to refer specifically to illusionary summons creatures. Perhaps n illusionary Fire Ball would not have to remain motionless for a turn after all.
This seems quite likely to me. Of course, I never read the "illusions can't do anything on their first turn" as referring to anything other than "animate" illusions; e.g., illusions/images of summoned creatures -- it never seemed to make sense to read it any other way.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #46
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

What do you all reckon of the idea of using Image or Illusion to disguise or hide yourself? Can you think of any official rule that would prevent me using one of these spells to effectively 'drape' the caster in someone or something having another appearance?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #47
JLV
 
JLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far northern California
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
What do you all reckon of the idea of using Image or Illusion to disguise or hide yourself? Can you think of any official rule that would prevent me using one of these spells to effectively 'drape' the caster in someone or something having another appearance?
Personally, I sort of think that might be a different spell, like "Disguise" or something...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #48
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Personally, I sort of think that might be a different spell, like "Disguise" or something...
Glamor (IQ 14) is the obvious spell for this. But I don't see anything in the description of Image or Illusion spells that would rule out using them this way. I suppose you could follow an implicit rule that a spell cannot do something specifically described by another spell. Or you could decide that anything not forbidden is allowed.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #49
Dave Crowell
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
What do you all reckon of the idea of using Image or Illusion to disguise or hide yourself? Can you think of any official rule that would prevent me using one of these spells to effectively 'drape' the caster in someone or something having another appearance?
Images vanish when touched would be the only problem with them. I don't see why an illusion couldn't be used as a disguise though.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #50
Kirk
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
A question on Illusions that I have seen raised elsewhere by others, how do they interact with projectile weapons?

An image struck by a projectile will vanish and the projectile continue on, but the rules don't say for an illusion. Would an Illusionary wall stop an arrow?
In general, I think the image/illusion/summoned being/disbelief rules work very well in TFT, almost genius, I might say. The unusual situation is what the GM is for, and not everything in magic is known to the players, just like the physical world.

I had a university engineering prof that put this bonus question on a final exam:

Question:

What happens when an unstoppable projectile strikes an impenetrable object?
.................................................. .................................................. ........
Answer:

It goes through without making a hole.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.