Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
thrash
 
thrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: traveller
Default Animals in Striker

I'm drawing a blank: was there ever a detailed treatment of animals as combatants in Striker? Maybe in Challenge or White Dwarf?

Rule 45 discusses only the use of animals for transportation. Animal weapons (horns, etc.) appear in the melee weapons table. I'm not seeing anything that says how to attack them or apply damage, however. The regular damage tables distinguish between personnel, weapons, and vehicles, but it's not clear to me that a horse (or turkey, or T. rex, for that matter) should be as easy to damage as a person or hovercraft, even after accounting for armor factor.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
SteveS
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: near Seattle WA USA
Default Re: Animals in Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
I'm drawing a blank: was there ever a detailed treatment of animals as combatants in Striker? Maybe in Challenge or White Dwarf?
. . .
Several classic adventures include animals and rules about them. I can think of these:
Twilight's Peak
Nomads of the World Ocean
Safari Ship
Mission on Mithril
Chamax Plague
Horde
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
thrash
 
thrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: traveller
Default Re: Animals in Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Several classic adventures include animals and rules about them.
These all use the straight Book 3 animal rules. I'm looking for rules for combat with animals in the Striker or Azhanti High Lightning systems. AHL has the Blobs, but they are clearly more of a game artifact and not a good model for more normal creatures.

Now, this does remind me that there was an article called "Hunting Bugs, Striker and Chamax Plague/Horde" by John Marshal in JTAS #17 that may be what I'm looking for. I'll check it out when I get home to my books.

Thanks!
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Animals in Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
it's not clear to me that a horse (or turkey, or T. rex, for that matter) should be as easy to damage as a person or hovercraft, even after accounting for armor factor.
I'm pretty sure that, within the limitations of Striker, that would just be represented as an armor factor. Striker doesn't really distinguish between armor and structure.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
thrash
 
thrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: traveller
Default Re: Animals in Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'm pretty sure that, within the limitations of Striker, that would just be represented as an armor factor. Striker doesn't really distinguish between armor and structure.
I've thought so myself, but there are some nuances to work out. In particular, how does the armor factor due to mass interact game-mechanically with added armor (for an ankylosaur, say)? You can't just use the Armor Combination Table or you get flaky results like a human (presumably AF 0 for mass) in mesh (AF 2) having a combined AF of 9 instead of only 2.

I can come up with something if necessary, but I'm hoping the work has already been done somewhere.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Animals in Striker

How about using Megatraveller rules for animals? I recall that most of the MT stats were derived from Striker, so you might be able to port the animal stats back in return.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Animals in Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
I've thought so myself, but there are some nuances to work out. In particular, how does the armor factor due to mass interact game-mechanically with added armor (for an ankylosaur, say)? You can't just use the Armor Combination Table or you get flaky results like a human (presumably AF 0 for mass) in mesh (AF 2) having a combined AF of 9 instead of only 2.
You'd really have to change the armor scaling below AF 10 and then renormalize armor.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
thrash
 
thrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: traveller
Default Re: Animals in Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Now, this does remind me that there was an article called "Hunting Bugs, Striker and Chamax Plague/Horde" by John Marshal in JTAS #17 that may be what I'm looking for. I'll check it out when I get home to my books.
Well, that didn't help. The author treats Chamax hunters as humans with cloth armor, with the ability to ignore light wounds. That's not entirely inappropriate, given they are about half average human mass, but doesn't lead to a more general solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
How about using Megatraveller rules for animals? I recall that most of the MT stats were derived from Striker, so you might be able to port the animal stats back in return.
(Had to dig out my print books from storage, since I never bought the MT CD-ROM...)

No, it appears that the treatment of animals in MT is pretty much the same as CT -- hit points and dice of damage -- with a few of the values changed. The reason I'm using (a simplified version of) Striker is to avoid hit points altogether and have only qualitative damage levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You'd really have to change the armor scaling below AF 10 and then renormalize armor.
Maybe. I don't mind the linear (vs. exponential) values for light armor; I can think of a couple of good rationalizations for keeping them.

It would probably be fine for my purposes to treat the armor factor from mass (mass factor?) as a DM, rather than a separate layer of armor. Then I could scale from the Animal Sizes and Weaponry table in Book 3 (p. 33). A human has effectively 4D/2D hits and masses 100 kg. A 3200 kg animal has 8D/4D hits; doubling armor thickness in Striker is a +8 armor factor. This leads to a table something like:

Code:
kg	AF
0.5	-12
0.8	-11
1	-10
2	-9
3	-8
5	-7
7	-6
12	-5
18	-4
27	-3
42	-2
65	-1
100	0
150	1
240	2
360	3
600	4
900	5
1350	6
2100	7
3200	8
5000	9
7500	10
12000	11
18000	12
28000	13
44000	14
65000	15
100000	16
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.