Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Damage to Shields

So, looking at shields:
A light shield is DR 5, HP 20. It's probably a homogeneous wood object with an area of about 2 sf (1 lb/sf), which is about 1/4" of wood, so computed value is about DR 1, HP 10.
A small shield is DR 6, HP 30, and the same 2 sf, so it's 4 lb/sf. Figure about 0.05" of iron over 0.5" of wood, so computed value is about DR 3, HP 16.
A medium shield is DR 7, HP 40, and probably more like 4 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 20.
A large shield is DR 9, HP 60, and probably more like 6 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 24.

That's a ... large discrepancy. The easiest fix is to assume that Damage to Shields uses half of the weapon's damage. This leaves light, small, and medium shields about the same toughness as they are in RAW (taking 22, 38, and 46 damage to break, instead of 25, 36, and 47) though it still reduces large shields significantly (51 vs 69).

I also notice that there do not appear to be any rules for deliberately attacking shields.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Damage to Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So, looking at shields:
A light shield is DR 5, HP 20. It's probably a homogeneous wood object with an area of about 2 sf (1 lb/sf), which is about 1/4" of wood, so computed value is about DR 1, HP 10.
A small shield is DR 6, HP 30, and the same 2 sf, so it's 4 lb/sf. Figure about 0.05" of iron over 0.5" of wood, so computed value is about DR 3, HP 16.
A medium shield is DR 7, HP 40, and probably more like 4 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 20.
A large shield is DR 9, HP 60, and probably more like 6 sf, so similar areal density to the small shield; computed value is about DR 3, HP 24.

That's a ... large discrepancy. The easiest fix is to assume that Damage to Shields uses half of the weapon's damage. This leaves light, small, and medium shields about the same toughness as they are in RAW (taking 22, 38, and 46 damage to break, instead of 25, 36, and 47) though it still reduces large shields significantly (51 vs 69).
Is it really desirable to start from Basic Set rather than Low Tech stats for something like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I also notice that there do not appear to be any rules for deliberately attacking shields.
Martial Arts p122.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Gnome
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cambridge, MA
Default Re: Damage to Shields

My understanding (though I have no expertise whatsoever in this area) is that a wooden shield is not simply a hunk of wood. It's primarily wood but reinforced with leather, metals, etc. and probably also hardened and varnished and so on.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Rasputin
 
Rasputin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Default Re: Damage to Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So, looking at shields:
(snipped)That's a ... large discrepancy.
I'm pretty sure that what happened was that the table from the 3e Basic Set found its way into the 3e Basic Set, with the headers changed for 4e.
__________________
Cura isto securi, Eugene.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Damage to Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Is it really desirable to start from Basic Set rather than Low Tech stats for something like this?
Ah, didn't realize LT had fixed that.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Damage to Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Ah, didn't realize LT had fixed that.
You might find some issues there too, but you won't find 60 HP shields at least.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
DanHoward
 
DanHoward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maitland, NSW, Australia
Default Re: Damage to Shields

Low-Tech fixed a lot of things. It went through almost a year of playtesting and reality checking.
__________________
Compact Castles gives the gamer an instant portfolio of genuine, real-world castle floorplans to use in any historical, low-tech, or fantasy game setting.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.