Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Illuminati Playtest

Old 10-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Magesmiley

Default Government

I keep looking at the cards and thinking about the alignments. And I'm starting to think the total removal of government takes away a significant identifier that groups a bunch of the cards together which are related.

But that begs the question of what to do if government is a type, particularly if it doesn't have an opposite. And a notion occurred to me this morning which seems like it would fit very well with the state of affairs in the U.S. over the last decade or two:

Have the government modifier double the bonuses and penalties of other alignments if both cards have the government alignment.

For example, California attempting to control FEMA would get to double it's bonus for both groups being Peaceful (to +8). But if California tried to control Texas, the Liberal vs. Conservative and Peaceful vs. Violent modifiers would double to -16. If California tried to control Hollywood though, the Liberal modifier wouldn't get doubled (because Hollywood doesn't have the government alignment).
Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
grimblefig

Default Re: Government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I keep looking at the cards and thinking about the alignments. And I'm starting to think the total removal of government takes away a significant identifier that groups a bunch of the cards together which are related.
I tend to agree that removing Government from the game entirely is a mistake. There are too many cards in the game that are part of the government, or government agencies, for it not to have any effect. And, as I mentioned before, removing Government puts Discordia at a disadvantage, since several high-power groups that were Government but not Straight can now attack them at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Have the government modifier double the bonuses and penalties of other alignments if both cards have the government alignment.
This is an interesting idea. It also paves the way for other types and type bonuses to be introduced. See the old Illuminati PBM rulebook from Flying Buffalo for ideas.

This would make Government groups even more attractive to Cthulhu. High powered Government groups become efficient destroyers of Government groups with opposite alignments. In your example, if California tried to destroy Texas, it would get a +16 bonus. That is a lot of MB for others to throw in just to overcome the alignment bonuses.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Chris Goodwin

If it were me, I'd keep Government around as an attribute a la INWO. Media sort of already unofficially exited in main Illuminati as an attribute via the Brainwash supplement. There's no reason Government couldn't become one. (For those probably few who haven't played INWO, an attribute is like an alignment, except it doesn't have any effect unless a card says it does.)

Government groups could stay Government groups, and Discordia could keep its text and its ability. It's just that Government would only be affected by those cards that specify it; Discordia, but probably some others.

That would also open the door for adding Bank, Computer, Location, and some others, but that would also open the door for redesign, and I'm not sure Steve wants to do that.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
AOTA

I have to agree Government going away really makes it harder for Discordians. Also Government is also fairly generic so it could be used for lots of cards and is a less touchy thing than Liberal or Conservative for all formally Government cards.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Patient Zero

another problem with eliminating Government, is that most of the conspiracy literature involves the infiltration of the government. Communism though has been outdated for about 20 years.

"Even a world government needs guidance..."
Patient Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Correct - but there are still lots of government groups in the set to be infiltrated or to take over things they have no business touching. They just don't have an alignment relationship any more.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote