Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
Stormcrow

Default Re: "Orville" the role playing game - which rules system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If it isn't a comedy it is awful.
Does my classifying it change whether you like it? "I like it." "It's not a comedy." "I hate it."

(It's not a comedy. It's drama with a bit of humanizing humor. The first episode was sort of trying to be comedy. Past the first episode, it's obviously not comedy.)

A comedy game doesn't need a "comedy mechanic" to be funny. The first edition of Paranoia had fairly serious rules, but it was set in a comedic (sort of) universe. Ghostbusters had silly ideas in it, but the rules themselves weren't funny, and they eventually became the popular D6 system. So whether The Orville is comedy or not doesn't necessarily inform how funny the rules should be.

So you could use fully detailed GURPS for this and it would work just fine. Just play Star Trek but act like working joes and not post-scarcity self-betterers and you've got it. Or you could use something quick and simple. It doesn't really matter.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Does my classifying it change whether you like it? "I like it." "It's not a comedy." "I hate it."
If I was inclined to believe you, then yes, because I would be horrified instead. Offering to eat a suborbinate's child, all the on duty drinking and drugs, "Reality TV?" "Our greatest exhibit."... I don't think that I am supposed to be taking this seriously.

Quote:
(It's not a comedy. It's drama with a bit of humanizing humor. The first episode was sort of trying to be comedy. Past the first episode, it's obviously not comedy.)
No, I am about halfway through now and it definitely is comedy. I guess you probably don't think that M*A*S*H or Scrubs were comedies? I do.
Quote:
A comedy game doesn't need a "comedy mechanic" to be funny. The first edition of Paranoia had fairly serious rules, but it was set in a comedic (sort of) universe. Ghostbusters had silly ideas in it, but the rules themselves weren't funny, and they eventually became the popular D6 system. So whether The Orville is comedy or not doesn't necessarily inform how funny the rules should be.
What comedy mechanic? It's a one page game, it basically only has the one mechanic.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #23
L.J.Steele

Comedy or not, the tone is not hard SF at a level where a detailed, rules-heavy system makes sense. So far, sensors, drives, etc. work at the speed and difficulty of plot. The characters have broadly defined skills and are put into situations for which they have no specific training or experience. That suggests something that's flexible and probably has a hero point mechanic to simulate the ups and downs of luck.

I'm still thinking Fate Core. GURPS Lite maybe.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #24
Stormcrow

Something can be drama without you having to take it seriously. Drama can have humor and remain drama. You're not supposed to walk away from The Orville saying "Har,har, that was funny!" You're supposed to say "Hmm, think about that." If they do something silly in the middle doesn't change that.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #25
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
What humor mechanic?
Post #7 in this thread, from a couple of weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
As the question is about The Orville instead of any other particular sci-fi show, you might have to consider whether to use some kind of "humour mechanic."

Not sure how that'd work exactly, but perhaps progress in your mission depends on how many puns, one-liners, quips and jokey banter you can pull off along the way.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Post #7 in this thread, from a couple of weeks ago:
Why bring it up again in post #19?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #27
ak_aramis

Quote:
If it isn't a comedy it is awful. I am finding it at least entertaining, though. I am pretty sure the punchlines make it a comedy.
the creator doesn't think of it as a comedy. He's said so in several interviews.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #28
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
the creator doesn't think of it as a comedy. He's said so in several interviews.
Really? He seems to refer to it as comedy (although with drama) a few times in the first interview I Googled:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#388bb7a25357

"The tone is the tone. It’s a sitcom. With an hour, there’s an obligation to tell a real story with some surprising twists, and a lot of times that means servicing the drama."
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote