Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Illuminati Playtest

Old 10-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Zubenelgenubi

Default Larger Cards?

I would like the backs of the new card to match the expansions that are already out there. Those expansions are difficult to come by and those who have them should still be able to use them.

Unless you intend to also re-work the expansions.
Zubenelgenubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Infoport

Default Re: Larger Cards?

I also feel the previous decks were fine in size, and would prefer to be able to mix with pre-2018 cards.
(And custom cards one drew on official blanks, which I hope are going to continue)
Infoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
dwalend

I suspect I'm in the minority. I'd like the larger cards.

The cards get things stacked on them, which have to be moved off to read the cards. Big cards are more fun for my kids. Presumably they'll be larger print.

Having Illuminati cards compatible with Tarot cards makes me want to use them to predict the future.
dwalend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I suspect I'm in the minority. I'd like the larger cards.
Perhaps a minority but not alone. The vision fades, and the arthritis gets worse, so I'd like larger cards, too.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Google Plus Profile
Buzzardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
I would like the backs of the new card to match the expansions that are already out there. Those expansions are difficult to come by and those who have them should still be able to use them.

Unless you intend to also re-work the expansions.
This is more or less where my opinion lands too. I'd stick with the current size of cards.

They're also big enough to read, but small enough that your power structure doesn't require massive tables to play.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
marvalen98

NO to bigger cards. The game takes up more than enough space as it is. I do like the idea of the card backs being compatible with previous releases.
marvalen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Coin Flip 42

What are the benefits of larger cards?

I would think that if you have multiple people sitting around a large table, that this would make some players focus on the people sitting right next to them, because it will be harder for some to see opponent's cards at the greater distances with a bigger table.

If the cards will look better because of more detailed printing due to the larger size, that may be an advantage for some, but it wouldn't get me to buy another edition.

I still consider the original edition set in the black plastic case that I have, playable, so an edition with larger cards may not be targeted at me anyway.
Coin Flip 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Oh, absolutely, the original edition is still playable, with Jeff George's great B&W cartoons. (One of which, you notice, became the company logo.) But some of us can't see those cards any more, even if they belong to the player right next to us.
Steve Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
ColBosch

I am in the "larger cards" camp. I don't care if this edition plays nicely with older ones, because the groups that have been replaced simply don't fit into the modern zeitgeist. Nobody cares who controls MTV anymore, for example. Its perceived influence is long-gone. Now, YouTube and its mix of the banal and horrifying, that's a current social influencer!

Hmm. That gives me Ideas.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Jetman

For visual and table appeal, perhaps make the Illuminati cards tarot-sized and keep the rest normal card size? That way, the Illuminati would dominate the power structure. They're never included in the deck and don't need to be shuffled either.
Jetman is offline   Reply With Quote