Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Limitation for all spells to be missile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
With Powers, going from Short Range (-1/yard) to Standard Range (-1/SSR) is a single level of Long Range +50% (PU3:15). Becoming possible to Dodge is Weaponized -50% (PU8:19). The net change is +0%, implying the Ranged, Weaponized versions of standard spells should be the same difficulty and have the same casting cost, although they'd probably be their own spells.
That's not actually the change, though, it's much more drastic.

Regular spell in GURPS Magic: concentrate N turns, quick contest (spell vs resistance) at -1/yard. Can cast through barriers, though at -5 if barrier is opaque. Can only hit its declared target.
Your variant: concentrate N turns, quick contest (spell vs resistance) modified by standard range modifiers, additional defense roll (dodge) allowed. Can cast through barriers, though at -5 if barrier is opaque. Can only hit its declared target.
Missile spell: concentrate N turns, aim 0+ turns, ranged attack (spell throwing vs dodge), quick contest (spell vs resistance). Cannot cast through barriers. Can hit incidental targets.

If we assume that touch spells are still required to be cast by touch, and other spells are missiles, I'd call this a net penalty. If it allows casting touch spells at range, that's a harder call.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Hellboy
Banned

I was not clear, this is a supplement not substitution. Standard IQ-based casting and Quick Contest savings throws (like HT or IQ looking as the basic Slow/Daze in Lite) would still apply.

The DX hit / Dodge simply add additional chances for it to fail.

Basically requires a balance of casting / aiming for mage for all spells (like thrown spells) and gives good dodgers who are low in magic resistance a chance at avoidance.

So you would get the notsobad range table for the DX aim and the worse range table for the roll to make the spell.

This also allows for stuff like accidentally pinging your ally with a slow/confuse.

Would probably also allow shields to block or Parry Missile Weapons to intercede a different target.
Hellboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Roll to cast (at no range penalty), roll to hit (SSR penalties), and then roll to affect (-1/yard)? That is way too many rolls and failure points. For me anyway you've made magic sufficiently not-fun that I probably won't play a wizard.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
If you were to add a point/shoot DX element like guns and made it possible to dodge spells you normally could not, what kind of Magery limit would that be?
It sounds more like a style than a limit.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
Hellboy
Banned

SP in this proposal roll to cast / affect are a single roll not two, you can just compare with range table to know when it fizzles if it misses.

You could even do a single roll against both your IQ skill and DX aiming if that would save time?

It is just as many rolls as fireballs, just squeezed into one turn instead of two.

DJ there isn't any upside to the caster of the spell, only downsides. Not like a critical success on aiming will do any extra damage unike a fireball.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
SP in this proposal roll to cast / affect are a single roll not two, you can just compare with range table to know when it fizzles if it misses.

You could even do a single roll against both your IQ skill and DX aiming if that would save time?

It is just as many rolls as fireballs, just squeezed into one turn instead of two.

DJ there isn't any upside to the caster of the spell, only downsides. Not like a critical success on aiming will do any extra damage unike a fireball.
If it acts like a missile then it would trade considerably more effective range for the need to "hit".
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If it acts like a missile then it would trade considerably more effective range for the need to "hit".
Except you are apparently still rolling to cast based on range to target and Regular spells are still - 1/yard but lose the ability to cast blind.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:26 AM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Except you are apparently still rolling to cast based on range to target and Regular spells are still - 1/yard but lose the ability to cast blind.
I was assuming it functions like throw spell, which eliminates the -1/yard.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Hellboy
Banned

Only for the aiming/DX, intendti keep it for the casting/IQ which has it hard to hold spells together distant from you.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I was assuming it functions like throw spell, which eliminates the -1/yard.
Not what is being proposed, I think. I think the idea is you spend the Concentrate Manuevers and FP, then you need to take a Maneuver that gives you an attack, and roll to hit a target in LOS, then you roll to see if you cast the spell at the normal penalties and resistances as appropriate.