Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Limitation for all spells to be missile?

If you were to add a point/shoot DX element like guns and made it possible to dodge spells you normally could not, what kind of Magery limit would that be?
Hellboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Limitation for all spells to be missile?

I'm not convinced that it would be a limitation, unless the roll to resist the spell being cast is also kept, along with range penalties. Normal spells are -1/ yard, a much steeper penalty for distance than standard range penalties.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
evileeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
If you were to add a point/shoot DX element like guns and made it possible to dodge spells you normally could not, what kind of Magery limit would that be?
What missile spells can you not normally dodge?

As per the regular Magic rules, if it's a missile spell, it's dodgeable. IE, if you were to use Throw Spell (or in this case consider that Throw Spell were always "on" for free) every spell woudl be a missile spell and thus under the rules for missile spells. This is an Enhancement, not a Limitation.

You should be asking how much is the Enhancement to have all spells be missile spells. Which I have no idea, it's a fairly big upgrade with only one downside.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
whswhs

I don't think I can imagine a narrative structure that would give rise to this. What story/movie/graphic novel element are you trying to emulate, or what kind of scene would you be describing where this would even come up?

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
This is an Enhancement, not a Limitation.

You should be asking how much is the Enhancement to have all spells be missile spells. Which I have no idea, it's a fairly big upgrade with only one downside.
I'm not entirely sold on it being a pure enhancement. If you want to go that route, there is always the mygurps route (PK's private site from before he was the line editor). He has a system for enhancing and limiting spells. It includes how to do it en mass as a type of magery.

Using the most obvious application of the system, all spells have a range of 100, acc 3, and so forth, but they cost double FP. You have +10% of enhancements left that way, so you could drop the difficulty of all spells by two levels to Easy, but there are other things to do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think I can imagine a narrative structure that would give rise to this. What story/movie/graphic novel element are you trying to emulate, or what kind of scene would you be describing where this would even come up?
Harry Potter does most magic like this.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
talonthehand

Quote:
You see this sort of thing in anime - a Alice waves her hand, makes an explosion happen at some point in the distance, but Bob dodges out of position right before the explosion actually happens.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
You see this sort of thing in anime - a Alice waves her hand, makes an explosion happen at some point in the distance, but Bob dodges out of position right before the explosion actually happens.
Sure, but an explosion is already the kind of thing that's normally handled as a ranged attack. I'm thinking about spells that let you become invisible, or heal wounds, or see in the dark, or deflect missile attacks. Those fall under "all spells," too. Or are we just going to ban them, and allow only spells that can be conceptualized like attacks?

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

A fair bit of video-game magic always involves "eldritch rays of power" which can miss their target or be ducked. This includes healing and other non-violent magic. And as has been pointed out, in the Harry Potter-verse, your spells are only as good as your aim with a wand.

I'd call it a wash. You'd lose time (the extra second to attack), and there's the question of misses and dodges, but you'd gain a lot of range. In essence, all spells would have a "free" Throw Spell on them, which is nominally a net benefit – but as I said, there's wasted time and not hitting to think about. Still, being able to sling, say, Deathtouch or Major Healing dozens of yards is exploitable enough to offset the downsides; e.g., lobbing a helpful spell into a mob of friends or a harmful one at a group of foes, you'll probably hit something . . . and casting Flesh to Stone or Entombment before the fight, carrying around the missile, and recovering all the FP gives you a great opening salvo.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
I could easily see a setting where all spells involve some sort of projectile (probably a thin "energy" beam) that must strike a target for the spell to work. Hit with beam and BAM turned into sheep, that sort of thing. In fact, I think I've seen such before, but can't recall where.

With Powers, going from Short Range (-1/yard) to Standard Range (-1/SSR) is a single level of Long Range +50% (PU3:15). Becoming possible to Dodge is Weaponized -50% (PU8:19). The net change is +0%, implying the Ranged, Weaponized versions of standard spells should be the same difficulty and have the same casting cost, although they'd probably be their own spells. If such variants are generally available, but your Magery is restricted to only be able to use such, that's arguably a -5% to -10% Limitation. If such are the only spells available - or if they generally aren't available, but the versions you learn always have this modification - I'd call it a +0% modifier on Magery.

An important bit to note - this does not get rid of the resistance roll. There are no extant Enhancements that can do so - even Cosmic is explicitly disallowed (PU4:6) from being used to eliminate such rolls.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
A Ladder

I like this idea. Would Resisted spells still give a resistance roll? (assuming the missile hit the target)
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote