Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Illuminati Playtest

Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #11
kabson

Default Re: Cards / Components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimann View Post
Maybe the 'Government' alignment cards should be kept intact, receive both takeover and destroy bonuses when attacking another government group, but gain no bonus when neutralizing (because a government group would not leave another one up for grabs)?

Or maybe they should have no alignment impact at all, but still be classified as government to keep track of which groups that can't attack Discordian.
Complete removal of Government/Communist does seem to leave a gap that might need a lot of special ability notes to replace.

Maybe combine the two into an unopposed Gov. (or ideally renamed) alignment?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
kabson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Re Discordia - my own thoughts on this are not firm but since we're talking about it - my best idea to date, I think, is to say that now they armmune to Straight and Conservative.

My second best idea is to say that Discordia is immune to groups with 5+ Power, unless they themselves are Illuminati. Not sure about this - it's true to the Principia, and it eliminates about the right number of cards from attacks vs. Discordia, but is it in fact a net boost?
The first idea makes a lot of sense and fits, but I like the second - it is much more interesting.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabson View Post
Complete removal of Government/Communist does seem to leave a gap that might need a lot of special ability notes to replace.

A Political alignment perhaps?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabson View Post

I don't think a Communist alignment is necessary; these days the Communists don't enter into conspiracy theories as much as they used to. They seem a little dated.

However, Government involvement in conspiracies is still as big as ever and there are a lot of government-related cards (US states, branches of the government, etc.). I think the Government alignment should be kept, though possible unopposed now.
Bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
Bevan

Some of the alignments for the cards strike me as a little odd, especially adding Peaceful to TV Preachers and Fraternal Orders (as philosophically they don't seem any more peaceful than any other group on average). Also, I think the Tobacco & Liquor Companies and the TV Preachers should be Conservative.
Bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Jetman

Perhaps change "Video Games" to "MMOs?"

"Madison Avenue +5 on _any attempt_ to control Big Media or Empty Vee." There's no Empty Vee card in the playtest assortment, and MTV isn't so much of a thing. Replace it with "Reality Shows," which MTV surely helped create?

One could replace the Communist alignment with an "Antigovernment" one. Anti-government ideas can be found in many groups on both sides of the political spectrum, after all.
Jetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
Magesmiley

Rules Ambiguities:

The behavior of the I.R.S. is somewhat ambiguous if you have only 1 megabuck.

Suggestions:

Given some of the studies on the demographics and areas where it is popular , I might suggest giving Internet Pr0n a bonus to control conservative groups, or paying no penalty. Or maybe give them a bonus to control straight groups. :) They also might be worthy of a bonus to control Online Videos.

It might be worth increasing the transferable power of the Hackers - they are much more prevalent and stronger today than they were when the game was originally released.

I'm really not getting the bonus against weird groups that the Gun Lobby has. There's a pretty fair number of weird folks backing the gun lobby these days.

The Libertarians seem like they should be Conservative.

Give the AADA a bonus to destroy the Cycle Gangs. And maybe one for the Cycle Gangs to destroy the AADA.

The Triliberal Commission, L-4 Society and the Punk Rockers seem a bit dated. They might be good candidates to replace. (Country Music or Rappers might be good candidates for the Punk Rockers).

Underground Newspapers... Maybe Underground Media instead?

Chain Letters and Chain Email? Seems almost redundant. Same for Spammers and Junk Mail. Might consider only using only one or merging the cards. Frees up space for other groups.

Multinational Oil Companies -> Multinational Oil & Gas Companies. (Natural Gas is similarly valuable and usually controlled by the same companies. It's become much more important in the last few decades too.)
Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
marvalen98

Is there any way of getting the PDF redone so we can print out the cards in fewer than 28 pages?
marvalen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Magesmiley - Useful comments; thank you!

Marvalen - I think the answer is no: 110 cards, 4 cards/page, 28 pages. What is the problem?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #20
Magesmiley

More suggestions:

Give Local Police Departments an ability that grants a +5 bonus when its controller is defending against attacks.

I've been reflecting on Copy Shops. I think they have been on the wane for awhile now and becoming less relevant. Might be another good candidate for replacement.

Antiwar Activists could be renamed as Anti-government Demonstrators. It's been quite awhile since I've seen Antiwar Activists doing much.

International Cocaine Smugglers should probably be International Drug Smugglers these days.

The Nuclear Power Companies... the debate these days is over Coal as a power source. Perhaps the Coal Companies would be a better choice and changing the Anti-Nuclear Activists to Environmentalists (and also fixing the Health Food Stores bonus to be for Environmentalists). I think that works to modernize those cards a bit.

The income for Comic Book Movies seems a bit low. They're (generally) not churning out garbage like Elektra these days. Or make it a random die roll, as movie execs seem to be hit an miss on how good the movies are. You could give them a bonus to control Hollywood too (since everyone is churning out hero stuff).

Intellectuals can be stubborn and also resistant to new ideas. Might be worthy of a higher resistance.