Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Illuminati Playtest

Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
kabson

Default Cards / Components

I thought these might be worth their own thread.

Just some quick notes:

The Discordians are still immune to Government attacks.

Should TV Preachers be Media-ized? (Media-ated?)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
JacobJ

Default Re: Cards / Components

I am so happy to hear that you're updating and reprinting, and also that you are considering larger cards. Regards the cards though, I think tarot cards may be too big for most tables. Maybe something in between. If you do a larger size, please make sure that sleeves are also available.
JacobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
InclusiveGames

Hi Folks,

Love Illuminati, I've rarely spent 100's of hours playing a game I never win, but Illuminati is a game I have yet to win and I'm still willing to play it.

The idea of increasing the card size is something I'm really not a fan of. I understand wanting to do so, but this game is already one I have trouble fitting on my table and increasing the card size would make that harder.
InclusiveGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
GranitePenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobJ View Post
I am so happy to hear that you're updating and reprinting, and also that you are considering larger cards. Regards the cards though, I think tarot cards may be too big for most tables. Maybe something in between. If you do a larger size, please make sure that sleeves are also available.
I feel the same way. Something about halfway between current and tarot sounds about right for something with substance that won't take over the whole table.

Edit: Thinking the Ninja Burger cards are close, but too thin. I'm assuming you want to scale proportionally so you don't lose the relative spacing. maybe 120x70 wouldn't be bad after all
MIB #2214

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 10-04-2017 at 01:30 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
dvanzandt

I am very excited by this. Illuminati was my into to non-monopoly board games back in the 80s. While I am excited by larger cards, I have two concerns--PLEASE don't make the cards Tarot-sized, that's just too darn big. And (not going to be a popular opinion, I am sure), if the cards are a different size, it negates any ability to use pre-2018 cards. Without reading back, that might be clunky and not work anyways because of some of the game changes.

Can you please KS an edition with Plastic coins? I still use my old coins from the original deluxe box, love love love them.
dvanzandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
Frimann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabson View Post
This seems pretty important to address.

Maybe the 'Government' alignment cards should be kept intact, receive both takeover and destroy bonuses when attacking another government group, but gain no bonus when neutralizing (because a government group would not leave another one up for grabs)?

Or maybe they should have no alignment impact at all, but still be classified as government to keep track of which groups that can't attack Discordian.

Last edited by Frimann; 10-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Frimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by InclusiveGames View Post
Hi Folks,

Love Illuminati, I've rarely spent 100's of hours playing a game I never win, but Illuminati is a game I have yet to win and I'm still willing to play it.
You always win when you play Illuminati, victories may be few and far between but a defeat is a win with Illuminati.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
Kobold Curry Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabson View Post

Just some quick notes:

Should TV Preachers be Media-ized? (Media-ated?)
Discordians could be immune to Media instead, perhaps?
Kobold Curry Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold Curry Chef View Post
Discordians could be immune to Media instead, perhaps?
Or get a bonus controlling or manipulating them?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Re Discordia - my own thoughts on this are not firm but since we're talking about it - my best idea to date, I think, is to say that now they armmune to Straight and Conservative.

My second best idea is to say that Discordia is immune to groups with 5+ Power, unless they themselves are Illuminati. Not sure about this - it's true to the Principia, and it eliminates about the right number of cards from attacks vs. Discordia, but is it in fact a net boost?

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 10-04-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: miscopied my offline draft
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote