Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Getting cut when you grab an edged weapon

TG13 has the option to do telegraphic cuts to the hand of someone grappling your blade. Does this give the +2 to parry it? This would be offset by grip CP of wielder of course.

Is there no chance of getting cut trying to grab a cutting weapon if its wielder does not opt to attack you or cannot? Like if they are stunned or doing all out defense or are trying Escape to remove your CP instead?

Are there any techniques for making grabbing edged weapons safer?

I was thinking a less cinematic hand-clap (not necessarily a parry) where you grab the flats of the sword instead of the edge.... I figure since you cannot wrap fingers around double edged swords this would be like no fine manipulators penalties... And no added penalty for someone who already lacks fingers.

But for single edged weapons you could wrap your fingers around the dull end of the blade, like the back if an axe or cutlass...

TG42 mentions for grabbing parry half damage to all parrying limbs, 1 for judo and 2 for wrestle/sumo. Is that total, so split it 1/4 each for two handed? Maybe force judoka to do a crossparry for similar advantage?
Hellboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Getting cut when you grab an edged weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
But for single edged weapons you could wrap your fingers around the dull end of the blade, like the back if an axe or cutlass...
FWIW, you don't do it this way. I was trained with both blunts and sharps to squeeze the blade, pinching it on the flat. This is a grab/disarm shown in the 1.33 fight manual, I believe.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Hellboy
On Notice

I just mean it is easier to pinch the flat without a sharp edge against your palm.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
RyanW

Would that not be covered by the normal armed parry against unarmed attack rules?
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Hellboy
On Notice

That is for avoiding damage when you are attacked, this is about avoiding damage when you are attacking (grappling) the weapon.

I know if I tried to grab a sword, even if the sword wielder was completely ignoring me and all-out-attacking my friend, I could secure a telegraphed dedicated grapple but would probably cut up my hand like crazy trying to apply or prevent any kind of force to it.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
Ashtagon

Grabbing your own blade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo

Grabbing the other guy's blade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGb0JafLZM
Ashtagon is online now   Reply With Quote